• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to do the math on how much cash I have to take out and the wife isn't exactly happy with me.

My cost breakdown:
50 for mkt
~30 for wrist band (spectator)
~50 for convoy lunch
~200 for lodging
40 for shirts
~980 for fuel
500 for incidentals
~300 for hotels along the trip

So far I'm at $2,120 for the trip. Being this is my first time making it I would like to get an idea of how much past rally goers have spent, and possibly how much you spent your first time going.

Thanks
if you're on an unimproved campsite the cost is $15 per night (per campsite, for up to three people). I slept in the back of a deuce on a GI cot before - if you plan to take this route, bring a sleeping bag as Georgia nights can get chilly. That would save $160 in lodging. And you'll get change from the $50 on the meal ticket (at least $4, more if you plan to skip some meals). The hardball convoy lunch should not cost over $20 per person, probably much less, depending on your appetite. There are ways to cut corners, including manning the COMMs.

ke5eua

if you're on an unimproved campsite the cost is $15 per night (per campsite, for up to three people). I slept in the back of a deuce on a GI cot before - if you plan to take this route, bring a sleeping bag as Georgia nights can get chilly. That would save $160 in lodging. And you'll get change from the $50 on the meal ticket (at least $4, more if you plan to skip some meals). The hardball convoy lunch should not cost over $20 per person, probably much less, depending on your appetite. There are ways to cut corners, including manning the COMMs.
I'm gonna give 50 for the mkt, the change can go feed the pig for next year.

I try not to skip meals if I don't have too.

I'm fine, just trying to see how my estimate ranks with other first time rally goers.

Whiterabbit

100 gal of gas for 2 trucks
1 gal of oil
3 nites primitive camping fee
emptied out the fridge and pantry for food and cookies
2 driver's wrist bands
misc crap I'll need to run to the store for

Total cost for Thurs through Sun= Beats me. lol
Total value of being at the rally= PRICELESS!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I plan on going snipe hunting with DH for meat or possibly catch a squirrel or possum. I'll steal some onions, taters, and maters from the next door neighbors garden.
As for fuel, we always use the "we're from the GA National Guard trick" and just fill the truck up then tell the station owner our supervisor will be there shortly with the government credit card but we have to go.

Also, BabyBear is VERY good at procuring items from nearby campsites.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW primative camping for three people is $25 a night this year.

EDIT: Clint said in the info post $25 a night for 3 people. But I just found it on the Durhamtown website and it says $20 a night for 3 people $5 each additional person.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may bring all 5 cats with me and tie them up over by Mike's truck so he'll gave company. One is a talker. Loves to tell us everything the other ones do all day. He is entertaining.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
BTW primative camping for three people is $25 a night this year.

EDIT: Clint said in the info post $25 a night for 3 people. But I just found it on the Durhamtown website and it says $20 a night for 3 people $5 each additional person.
I checked their website literally the day I made the official rally thread.

I'll be honest with everybody: Durhamtown changes their stuff a LOT and one hand doesn't know what the other is doing on any one day.

So I ask that participants be flexible: If you expect a $25 fee, you may get there and it may be $20 or $30. Who knows. It's like a crapshoot.

Gracias

C

ke5eua

I plan on going snipe hunting with DH for meat or possibly catch a squirrel or possum. I'll steal some onions, taters, and maters from the next door neighbors garden.
As for fuel, we always use the "we're from the GA National Guard trick" and just fill the truck up then tell the station owner our supervisor will be there shortly with the government credit card but we have to go.

Also, BabyBear is VERY good at procuring items from nearby campsites.
Umm...I don't know about that. Do they bill the ng or I hoping your joking.

Whiterabbit

I think DT raises n lowers it's prices if it's peak or off season.
I think PB's neighbors charge the Guard for their missing 'maters, 'taters, and onions.
I get my fuel on account.
On account I got no money! ;-)

zout

If some of you could toss your uneaten food into a container that is not in the sun I'll have stuff to eat like last year when I get there. Even them fresh left over's from snipes were good last year - still tried to figure out if some were maggots or really small wiggly potatoes ?

RAYZER

If some of you could toss your uneaten food into a container that is not in the sun I'll have stuff to eat like last year when I get there. Even them fresh left over's from snipes were good last year - still tried to figure out if some were maggots or really small wiggly potatoes ?
It seems the recent rumors of Zout raiding coolers in the middle of the night last year are true!
I have been wondering for a long time what happened to my medical maggot dressings and leftover chicken wings!
I think the mystery has been solved!

Last edited:

ke5eua

I will mention this here and in the amateur radio thread also.

I will have my pineapple with me and it will most likely be connected to an antenna on the mast.

I want to try and grab raw video feed from the drone but I will say this.

Be cautious of what you do on an open wifi. In the wrong hands a pineapple is a tool used for malicious purposes, in the good hands we use them for penetration testing wifi networks.

zout

RAYZER I only look for cooler lids that do not snap or make noise - I learned how to do that from an Indian. STEALTH.

Those chicken wings were delicious BTW.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I may bring all 5 cats with me and tie them up over by Mike's truck so he'll gave company.
Be careful with your feline friends, mike has a recipe for cat.

I won't say he gets creative with the protein but I know a possum when I see one.:wreckerman893:

I myself spent 30 months total in Korea, I never knowingly ate dog but occasionally I get an overwhelming urge to sit on my ass and scratch behind my left ear with my foot.:shock:

sandcobra164

These are the only pictures I have of Tigger unfortunately. He was a heck of a man and I'm sure I speak for the whole crowd in saying that We Will Miss Him. I hope someone can save and print these pictures off and add them to the display. If anyone is game to do so, please do as I don't have a printer at the house and the NMCI network does not allow attachments from a non-NMCI computer to come through. I hope ya'll remember the Saturday 2011 morning trail ride where these were taken.

Attachments