• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

zout

Wow - and I thought having 20 thousand illegals and more folks on food stamps and welfare sucking off my paycheck every day might keep me from coming - you have me beat bro.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 horses and 5 cats? it would cost more to feed them for the trip than us.
Ferro and Angie brought the retarded chicken, Tinkerbell and I think a dog to Haspin once.....that chicken was funny as heck. Sad it's gone.

Do the trails in nature's original 4x4....priceless.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can imagine that the hay burners would cost much more to operate than the oil burners used to get the hay burners on site. It you had some angus beef you would only have to transport it one way.

Radios, sounds like we could use a combination of MURS on the trails and at rally central and maybe green radios between the HQ tent and trail leaders. Perhaps that is our problem, we have been trying to run all operations on one radio system where 2 might be best.

TMNT

Well, there's about 79 days left on my calendar before my roll-out for the rally. As usual, this time of year is a busy time in my business, and I've become so swamped I can barely see daylight. I spent the first 3 months or so fixing small problems and basically just getting established at the new company, but I was just recently handed a major program in the Carolina's, that has major issues for me to fix. That's what I do, I fix broken and poorly performing projects and programs and turn them around. This is a great opportunity for me but it currently has me working day and night. I'm worried that it will impact my rally plans, but its too early to tell right now.

I know I still have to do all of my usual truck maintenance, oil change, replace filters, lube everything, and I also have two leaking rear hubs to fix. When I start looking at weekends and commitments that I already know about, that 79 days between now and the rally, get whittled down to just one or two possible weekends to get all the maintenance done on the truck and get the camping gear out, cleaned and ready to go. (And here I thought I was going to make it on one of the advance trail clearing trips!)

This program I'm working is supposed to end at the end of September, I'm trying to move that up to the 20th, and if I'm good enough at what I do, maybe I'll have it functioning well by mid-August. That would give me a break on time and maybe, hopefully, optimistically, I'll get everything done and I'll be there!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up for those who have suggestions for meals on the MKT.

What the MKT does is cook a small variety of things in large quantities. I have two ovens that can either be cooking a squarehead pan (like the ChiliMac is cooked in) or a big pot (small one is 10 gallons, large one is 15 gallons). It's real hard to do both in the same oven (and not mess one or both up). Removing a griddle and cooking on the grill works if the items being cooked are not tall, or don't need a lot of heat, since most of the heat is wasted. That was the problem when we made fried chicken several years ago. We were doing it on the grill in a squarehead pan and it was tough to keep the oil hot enough to cook the chicken - and it was so much work that none of the MKT crew wants to have a repeat session. Lesson learned. We tried Collard Greens and about 90 percent went into the trash. Another lesson learned. MKT crew does the portion control because the first year when we just put bacon out, all of it disappeared in the first 10 people that were 'served'. Until I get the second shop van converted to a pantry, with it's own refrigerator and freezer, I'm going to have to be careful with foods that need to be kept cold, which is why milk for cereal is not a good idea on the MKT. I don't have a driver making a supply run every day for refrigerated/frozen/fresh foods. All those things and others put some serious constraints on what we can serve that is tasty, nutritious, balanced, inexpensive and does not take forever to make or clean up after. Hebrew National Hot Dogs come in mighty small packs - I cook 80 hotdogs at a time (only serves 40 customers at two per). We have been having potato chips in individual bags, and will continue to do so. I've thought about baked potatoes for steak night. If so, they will be both 'plain' and 'special', with fixings. There will be baked beans and bread with the pulled pork this year.

joeM62

Well looks like I will get to make the rally just getting the Studebaker ready to make it down there amgeneral hope you can make it never had the chance to meet you last time.
I'm coming down Friday early hopefully.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I have never been to a SS rally I have a question. Is there a wish list for what people are looking for (parts, equipment, vehicles, etc). Just wondering because I would rather bring what others have an interest in instead of packing a couple trucks of stuff just to haul around.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Since I have never been to a SS rally I have a question. Is there a wish list for what people are looking for (parts, equipment, vehicles, etc). Just wondering because I would rather bring what others have an interest in instead of packing a couple trucks of stuff just to haul around.
I'm sure Clinto will start a "buy, sell, trade" thread sometime fairly soon. He usually does and it's best not to mix the threads cause it's easier to keep track of things.:beer::clinto:

jw4x4

Here is how it generally works- others want what you don't have, and don't want what you DO have. You never really know what they want. Best advice is to bring everything you reasonably can. On bigger items, try to get them pre-sold to avoid transporting them for no reason. There are plenty of incidents where someone speaks up wanting something, but either doesn't show up or doesn't have the funds for an item. But for the most part, everyone honors their intentions.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I most of the time have a list in my mind (can not be a long list or I would forget the first item by the time I reached the end of the list) that I am looking for (need), once I get to the rally, I do not see some of the stuff on the list BUT I see a BUNCH of stuff that are not on the list but should have been.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the money first for any special orders and then bring it. The new owner is more likely to show up then.

;-)

That buy/sell/swap thread will be up soon.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh don't worry PB, I am pretty sure Clinto will be putting it up soon. I should have been more specific unless he wants me to.

:)

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, I have found my name on your second post, trail leader. It is like going from PFC to SGM, i will do my best to full fill this position that has been given to me. I look forward to learn from those that have held this position.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, I have found my name on your second post, trail leader. It is like going from PFC to SGM, i will do my best to full fill this position that has been given to me. I look forward to learn from those that have held this position.
Squirt-truck told us you wanted the position, we've been offroad with you and we know you're competent and safe, so congratulations on the promotion. We'll have a small ceremony at the HQ tent where we smear some mud on your shirt and a marching band will play.

:p

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Squirt-truck told us you wanted the position, we've been offroad with you and we know you're competent and safe, so congratulations on the promotion. We'll have a small ceremony at the HQ tent where we smear some mud on your shirt and a marching band will play.:p
Maybe we can get wreckerman to sing "The Impossible Dream"??

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks