• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright folks, we're barely two months out.

You need to make sure you're spreading the word to your military vehicle enthusiast friends that aren't on SS. This is a big, national sized event with attendance numbers that very few events can top. The weather is beautiful fall Ga. weather, we have a good (and growing) swap meet, the trail rides are fun and where else can you take your MV out and be in a convoy with almost 40 others MV's and get pics and video of it?

There is simply not another rally that can compare to what the Ga. Rally offers. We have spent years smoothing it out and improving what works and reducing what doesn't. The staff is experienced, knowledgable and helpful. We have accommodations (heated and air conditioned cabins and rv's with hot showers) that few off-road parks offer. We have both a restaurant at the park and our own MKT to feed hungry attendees so you don't have to bring 3-5 days worth of food with you.

So how many are coming this year? Do we continue to break our record of non-stop growth (the rally has grown every year we've held it, even in the financial meltdown of 2008, we grew by more than 15%)?

"We will see you on the field!"

And: You need to make sure your vehicle is serviced, safe and reliable. You need to have a list of what all you need to bring (hats, cell phone chargers, chairs, tables, etc.) and make sure you've got it all loaded. Bringing parts? Looking for parts? Make sure you've posted in the rally buy/sell/trade thread.

The next 2 months will go by quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
visa and permits

I will just ignore the jokes and smart*ss remarks until somebody can explain them over a cool beer (wine in my case, but still :beer:).

Just got of the phone with the US Embassy:

- I don't need a visa but I have to apply for an electronic pre-boarding permission (under the ESTA program).

- With an International Driver's Permit I legally am OK to drive everything on the road including rigs in excess of 26 000 lbs PROVIDED it is done unpaid as volunteer work or hobby or moving personal stuff.

- Off course, individual states might have a different idea about that even if they are wrong legally (USA signed the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic).

- However, if I wanted to work as a paid truck driver, the company I drive for should petition for a permit form me that, once approved, has to be sent to the US Embassy as part of a work permit visa. This is company bound, so theoretically, I cannot switch companies once in the USA (probably there are ways around that).

Further planning:
  • This week I will have to get a new Dutch passport because mine expires less than three months AFTER entering the USA and all documents should refer to a valid passport.
  • Once that is done I will apply for an International Driver's Permit.
  • Same office will issue a Drivers Driving Record.
  • I will make court translated versions of both the Drivers Driving Record and my Medical approval.

exhausted smiley 2.jpgexhauster smiley 1.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of work Robo but glad you are making the effort. I think the GA contingent should be most elated with your arrival considering your efforts on the registration campaign.

Everyone else, get your trucks ready. If they break, go home and get a car. Bring enough to survive. Your MKT Staff will make sure no one goes hungry. There are plenty of positions at the MKT that will effectively keep your belly full. Plan on going out on the trails? Bring extra shoes. Remember;
Just Being there is Important!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo McDuff - I'm thankful you're planning on attending! I look forward to meeting you in person! :)

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
here's a map I made for first timers, as clinto said check in at office #1 then come to #2 rally field to sign in.

rally.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Whatever it takes Robo, I assure it will be worth it. Ask Gerhard! He just keeps coming back :)
I remember Gs FIRST rally, He showed up in a LITTLE ford rental, when he left the rear bumper was about dragging the ground, the next year, he showed up in a rental pu, because he realized that a little car was not up to the mission, well it turned out the pu became a tail drouper, again not quite up to the mission (recovered parts transport, more parts then transport), I believe that is when he and TT got together, letting TT handle the transport so that MR.G had more time to collect parts, you can see the problem with this plan right off, TT needs to "try" to stay ahead of Gs collection affords.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, actually TTCo. does pretty good I must say... Let him show you pictures of all that he has moved for me lately!;-)

But yes Ron, the GA-Rally has always been a great opportunity -for me and most of us I think- to find MV-parts bargains of all sorts. As well as all kind of trades... for example 10 little wrenches for 1 big-wrecker service! :)

G.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robo,

Ga code 40-5-21 (sub) states that a nonresident who has in their possession a valid drivers license issued by their home country is exempt from having to obtain a Georgia drivers license. If said license is in a language other than English the nonresident must also have in their possession a valid international drivers permit issued in accordance with the Convention on Road Traffic,3 U.S.T. 3008, TIAS 2487 or similar treaty. In other words you should have no problem in Ga if you have the documents mentioned. Welcome to 2014 Steel Soldiers Ga Rally.

Mac

UOTE=Robo McDuff;1585500]I will just ignore the jokes and smart*ss remarks until somebody can explain them over a cool beer (wine in my case, but still :beer:).

Just got of the phone with the US Embassy:

- I don't need a visa but I have to apply for an electronic pre-boarding permission (under the ESTA program).

- With an International Driver's Permit I legally am OK to drive everything on the road including rigs in excess of 26 000 lbs PROVIDED it is done unpaid as volunteer work or hobby or moving personal stuff.

- Off course, individual states might have a different idea about that even if they are wrong legally (USA signed the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic).

- However, if I wanted to work as a paid truck driver, the company I drive for should petition for a permit form me that, once approved, has to be sent to the US Embassy as part of a work permit visa. This is company bound, so theoretically, I cannot switch companies once in the USA (probably there are ways around that).

Further planning:
  • This week I will have to get a new Dutch passport because mine expires less than three months AFTER entering the USA and all documents should refer to a valid passport.
  • Once that is done I will apply for an International Driver's Permit.
  • Same office will issue a Drivers Driving Record.
  • I will make court translated versions of both the Drivers Driving Record and my Medical approval.

View attachment 507538View attachment 507537[/QUOTE]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunnermac,

Does that code says anything about CDL or non-commercial large vehicles?

I have been driving in the USA and Canada occasionally between 1980 and 2006 in passenger cars. Probably around 20 000 miles by now, both rented and our own car. Always on my Dutch or Czech license, no problem. Although recommended for other things, an International Driver's Permit in most cases is not needed (I will get it anyway).

2004-USA-Arrival-03crs.jpg

Rear mirror view showing Olga driving our car - 1993 Pontiac Trans Sport - and a Peterbilt (great trucks). I am driving a rental car from Chicago that we rented to get to Oxford Junction, Iowa, to pick up our Pontiac. Here we are on the way back picking up our son and two other blacksmiths to attend the Abana 2004 blacksmith meeting in Kentucky. Unfortunately, we had to sell the car 2 years ago (after 6 years in storage).

According the Embassy and a lot of people in several threads here, as long as I do it non-commercial, I can drive whatever I want in the USA as long as it does not carry more than 16 persons, does not transport hazardous material AND I do not get paid for it.

To sum it up (if the above really is correct)
- if somebody throws me the keys of a 40-ton semi and says "I am not using it this weekend, if you want to cruise around, have fun", its OK.
- even if the truck is transporting goods commercially but I as driver do not get ANY form of compensation (apart from the fun of driving it) it still is legal.
- if I team up with a paid driver, the paid driver needs a CDL but I as non-paid driver not (which is nonsense of course but within the law :cookoo: :cookoo:)
- if I get any compensation, CDL is the least of my problems; I would need a working visa.

Last edited:

joeM62

I don't know what Derrick looks like so just spot him so I can keep him away from mine because I got to replace one on the
duce and don't need another broken

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Well it looks like we will be attending this year we are looking forward to meeting everyone I wish it wasn't so far so we could bring some MV not sure how many of us from the shop will go but I know 3 of us are going and we will bring somethings to sell
we will see you there
TMG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks