• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

Jeepsinker

I got home at 1:30 am this morning after leaving at 9:48am yesterday morning. Two and a half tanks of fuel and no problems. Was great to meet you all! Already planning for next year!

wilfreeman

Lets not plan anything based on what Durhamtown might do. Dry erase board (s) seem to be the answer right now. I would lean towards 4 boards. 2 at the RT tent. One for official stuff and one for members use, one at the MKT and one at the lodge makes sense. Maybe. 5th in the vendors field that we can map out and mark which ventors are there.
Great idea about marking where the vendors are located! I bugged Kenny quite a few times trying to locate where to pick up parts from different people. I spent at least the first 5hrs after getting there running back and forth trying to locate a track down vendors - thanks for the help Kenny!

I would also suggest that vendors ask someone to watch/sell their stuff. I know of 1 vendor that lost a $200 sale because I couldn't find a representative to buy their stuff from. I looked and asked around for about 30 minutes before I finally had to leave Saturday.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Let me explain how the MKT operation goes:

0500 am Mike and I get up and fire up the stoves/grill and for the next two hours cook the breakfast items with our corp group of volunteers. We are not professionals so chow is called when it is ready. The last two days of the rally I cooked until everyone was fed even though it meant opening rations for the next day. Mike and I had to do a ration run to get supplies so we could serve breakfast on Sunday. We could have easily just closed shop but we went the extra mile to ensure that no one goes hungry at the GA Rally.

Lunch/dinner is usually sandwiches/hot dogs/hamburgers with chips and fruit cups. If we have leftovers from the night before we heat them up as an option to cold cuts. We provide sack lunches to those that want them for trail rides. That usually lasts from around 11am until 2pm but if you ask we can usually scrounge up something. We keep peanut butter and jelly for the small ones if requested.

Supper (this is the South the last meal of the day is supper, always has been, always will be) is called when the entree is done and the line has been set up. We try to have food that everyone enjoys and to throw some old military favorites in for veterans or those who want to try them. It is not cost effective to have more than one entree unless we charge more. I'm not sure if Durhamtown's cafe was open this year but the next option for hot food is about 15 miles away unless you bring your own rations.

We will discuss meal options in the After Action Review (not open to the general membership).

Mike owns the MKT and Sanitary trailer. This is a labor of love with him and he also does disaster feeding if the need arises. We do not make a profit on the MKT operation. No one who works at the MKT is paid for labor or supplies they donate. If we do have money left over after expenses we use it to make improvements. Over the last few years we have purchased the tents, hand washing stations, tables, chairs and other items that make eating outdoors more enjoyable.

We offer good food at reasonable prices for our fellow Green Iron Addicts. We are not allowed to serve Durhamtown's customers since they have food on site occasionally.

We will look at all suggestions and if we can incorporate some of them into the plan we will.

It was a pleasure serving you all this year.

Oh....concerning the PA system: The system we have used for the last several years was purchased by me from Government Liquidation. It is a 50's vintage set up and is old school. This year one of the tubes in the amp (yep, it's that old) took a dump and I'll have to find an old school radio restorer to get it repaired. Durhamtown loaned us the one we used the last few days of the rally and if I can't get mine fixed they may loan it to us again. I was told by several people that the bugle calls were missed and I promise that next year they will be back.

Hope it wasn't for some tow lights!

I have decided that next year I will:
1: Bring my own vehicle and not a friend's
2: Bring a lot more stuff to sell
3: Try to get there sooner and ask the person beside me to take $$ if something sells. I did not ask the guy beside me this year because I didn't have prices marked on stuff.
4: Have something more comfortable than a M1101 trailer to sleep in!

I would also suggest that vendors ask someone to watch/sell their stuff. I know of 1 vendor that lost a $200 sale because I couldn't find a representative to buy their stuff from. I looked and asked around for about 30 minutes before I finally had to leave Saturday.

wilfreeman

Not tow lights. Not going to call anybody out - just saying if you are a vendor, 1)be there most of the time, 2)leave a representative there to sell for you, or at the minimum,
3)leave a note as to when you will return.

I was trying to buy, but the person was not there to buy from, and didn't know when he would return. Maybe he showed up as I was leaving? Who knows!
In addition, before the rally, it was suggested that vendors have a sign with their names posted. Some did. Out of the 6 people I bought from, 2 had their names posted at their site. A simple piece of poster board would even suffice for this.

Rmtaunton

This ralley was sooooo much fun . Let's keep this to all the good times! Suggestions are great to , I like the dry erase board . But remember all these people put this rally on for us not taking a penny and giving there vacation time for us !

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So from what i can gather from the last 3 pages - For me - I will not bring anything to sell next year because i am not there to wait on you and i need to be on a map so you know where i am. And everybody has to be on a board with an itemized list of items for sell with pricing. Your not making it better - his is my last post here !

wilfreeman

However you want to take it. I thought I was being a good guy trying to pick up the items I had promised to buy in a timely manner.

Site Admins: Please remove my previous posts about this matter. Thanks! My last post on the subject also.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are all grown men it's not a bad thing to try to improve on the best rally in the world.
Everyone make suggestions without personal feelings or taking it personal.
I think it went well from what I saw of course my head was buried in a deuce motor for 3 days lol.

bchauvette

So from what i can gather from the last 3 pages - For me - I will not bring anything to sell next year because i am not there to wait on you and i need to be on a map so you know where i am. And everybody has to be on a board with an itemized list of items for sell with pricing. Your not making it better - his is my last post here !
How about the vendors put up a notice at their site when they are gone stating when they will be at their site . something like "Be back at ?" or every day from ? to ? people can go shopping at whim if you see something you like come back at the posted time.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend the wet erase markers. Much more practical for outdoors.
This is a good and constructive post event Start, stop, continue.
Hmn, I have heard of that before.......

Start/ Stop/ Continue Roses/ Buds / thorns

seems we have a scout Leader who has gone to training :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please log any formal complaints with staff (Me, swbradley, recovry4x4, clinto, mwmules, doghead, exc.) via PM. However, if you have suggestions (take the marker board idea I posted earlier) then by all means post them in the thread. However, I can say there's not much that can be done with wifi, cell coverage, and PA systems with what means we have.

RayK

Someone left about a one inch thick USMC manual on the tongue of my trailer Sunday morning (right between Gunnermac and Streamline). PM me and I'll get it back to you.

Rmtaunton

This ralley was sooooo much fun . Let's keep this to all the good times! Suggestions are great to , I like the dry erase board . But remember all these people put this rally on for us not taking a penny and giving there vacation time for us !
All I can say is thank you to all who put this on !! With out them , well .... We wouldn't have the greatest rally ever , suggestions should be made by offering and volunteering to fix what you didn't like , I had a blast and met great great people and definatly volenteering for next year if they will have me :) and on a last note if you didn't like it don't come and shut up .... Sorry just a little offended by accusing people that worked so hard for all of you .

Wear is Butch when I need him he makes everyone smile

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks