• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh my god.....wife posted this

yetti96

Well my wife knows I spend much more time on SS than any other and as long as I am not ignoring here and spending time with her that is fine. She knows I want an M35a2, but has made a few concessions. The hardest is having a place to store it, our little house is on an even smaller lot (.25ac). I know most say move, but we just bought the house and have to keep it for 3 years to keep our first time home buyers money, plus we got a really great deal on it. Then, oh yeah I need the money to buy one and maintain it. We are still busy paying off her college loans from grad school and 2 small car loans all while she is still searching for a full time professional job, like most recent college grads I suspect. So the way I see it, bye the time it comes to get a bigger place we will be better off financially and I will swoop in and buy a nice truck. Essentially she knows I want one, has said I can have one, and she will even ride in it when I get it. So as far as I am concerned I am set for the future. A deuce and a half is not going to be an instant gratification for me, but rather a lust and eventual acquisition. Times are tight but life is good.

nofearnohope

Yetti, I live on lot similar to yours and have my deuce parked in the driveway right next to the wife's suburban. Make sure you know the city ordinances and you should be good.

airmech3839

My wife does not like the deuce as much as others and that disapoints me.... but if I am making a Home Depot or Lowes run then she wants to go and see what all she can get in the back...lol.... She doesnt like that it costs so much in parts when she breaks or I need something for it... cause it seems to come by the $200-300 at a time... but I tried to explain we arent paying for gas!!!???!!! still doesnt help the case when right after I tell her how much we are saving that I tell her I need to spend about $300 for a new part....

Mine does not like riding in it... she gets concerned we are gonna run into something... she said she would probably ride in it if I had air ride seats and intercom system with stereo and bench seats in the back with seatbelts for the kids... working on those now.... I just told my wife I wanted one... and kept telling her all about it till finally I broke her and she let me bring it home....

Good Luck!! If she doesnt go for it tell her she should get a Lab... they are just like husbands without sex and they dont talk back.... but always want to be with you and want to play...

19kilo

As I was reading, I had thoughts and points to add, but by the time I got to the end today, all were made for me. :D I will add that my ex wife after we we divorced complained after I purchased the deuce that it wasn't "safe" for our kids. My reply was "what could be safer, unless its a semi, all the cars should be afraid of us!" Even her boyfriend sided with me which wasn't normal. (I secretly think he has envy for it :) My kids loved being picked up from school in it. All the oohs and Ahhhs from the school children = instant popularity for my kids with their peers. Trying to plan a road trip up to Alaska in July with it. So if any want me to stop by along the way, let me know and we'll see if it will fit into our plans. I'm planning on staying to the right of the Rockies up thru Montana into Canada and then over at this time. Either going to Anchorage or Fairbanks as the end destination at this time, subject to change.

akguy

Well everyone, appreciate all the "helpful" advice here. Some will get me into divorce court, others .......well..........lets just say i can finally see a small light at the end of the tunnel. AND ITS NOT A TRAIN!!!!! Those of you who have patient wives/girlfriends, hang on to them. They are one in a million. Wouldn't trade my in for anything! Not even a deuce! As i said before, awesome website and awesome people here.

HAVE A GREAT DAY GUYS!!!!!

David

gunboy1656

Mine was not happy about mine coming home, but has come around to having it here. Actually the day I got it home she said, "its not as big as I thought it would be". so I guess I am clear for something bigger.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife is very practical and definitely a keeper. I started off with an M1008 and she thought it was great. No car payments. Not to many repairs until recently, but that's ok.

Then I bought an M54A2 and she recognized that it would help us relocate to Nevada when I retired since
I have a lot of heavy stuff to haul up there. Welding tables and the like. Most in the 900 to 1200 pound range.

Then I found a hybrid XM211 with an M108 crane body on the back, and she immediately realized that that was going to make a big difference when we went to build our house in Nevada. This despite the long weekends spent out by the train tracks in Oakland trying to get it to the point where I could drive it home.

I am so lucky that I found a wife that was not only loving, but had a ton of just plain common sense.
Bruce

Last edited:
I have not read every post on this thread, but I do like the one a few pages back that asked if you ever considered being the Man of the house. After many failed relationships with gringas, as my wife calls them, I finally settled for a cute young lady from Venezuala. Before we became officially engaged, I sat her down and we watched a tape by a pastor named John Haggee, out of Texas. In the tape he admonishes women to be the women of the house, and men to be men. He also cautions men to not be lazy, tyrannical, or let the wife think for a second she is in charge, unless of course, you place it on her while you are gone.
If you look back over the past 60 years, the biggest problems in schools back in the 50s was talking out of turn, and chewing gum in class. In 1965, women were given the right to vote, which basically made them even with men in our society. This also took them out of the home, and away from a very important task - raising the children. Now look at the problems we have in school.
Before any of you ladies out there start telling me what a chauvinist pig I am, please consider this: I am a registered dietitian, of which 2% are men. Before that, Iwas a transmission mechanic, before that, a veterinary technician, and before that I was a computer programmer for the US Army. I am also a disabled vet and now stay home and raise our 2-year-old son so my wife can work for the VA making big bucks as an RN. I am all for equal pay for equal work, and I am not saying women should not be allowed to vote, but I am saying the pendulum has swung too far. How many times have we seen women acting like they are in charge of their husbands? I absolutely loath hearing a man say he needs to check with his wife first. How often do you hear wives saying they need to check with thier husband first. Now days men are portrayed on TV as the bumbling idiots always depending on their wives to solve the problem, when as we all know, men are the problem solvers while women would rather talk about it ;-)
Seriously though, I would tell your wife the same thing I tell mine. Honey, I am buying this truck if I can get a deal with which I am comfortable. It will not only be great for taking the family camping, but it will also be an antique (or is already), and the value will only go up in a few years. My wife used to complain, but now she knows she married a man, and that man can wash dishes (better than her), take care of children and raise them, and also tear down any part on a vehicle and fix it in a reasonable amount of time at a much lower cost than it would take to have a shop do it. My VA rating also takes care of our children's college, and it pays me to stay at home at a rate just slightly under her pay rate (actually about $500 less per month when you consider her net pay). So man up and don't ask for permission, tell her what your plans are, and if she complains, tell her you have heard her thoughts and this is your decision, and she has a choice to either go with it, or ruin the evening with a fight about a hobby you have chosen. You might also point out collecting green is way better than collecting blondes.
So far, we have 3 M1008s, 1 M1031, 1 M1009, 1 M109, 3 basic deuces (1 has a winch), and will be recovering an M105a2 as soon as the EUC clears. We also have too places, one in Alabama, and one in Florida. The wife now sees how handy it is to have an M109 at one's disposal. It has paid for itself over and over with what Ryder would have charged for a truck with a 4' longer box on the back, and 2 wheel drive. I will also be using the winch deuce to haul a load of chirt from AL to FL to fix our driveway. Now is the time to buy these things, as prices are only going up, and soon there will be no more left. How long has it been since the regular army ran out of deuces?

Last edited:

akguy

You know, i started this thread with a little humor in mind. But apparently there are some who can't understand that and get all involved in saying "be a man of the house". Good god, that is so single minded. Lighten up people.

Enough said.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about other folks, but as far as my wife and I, we are not only lovers, we are buddies and share the work and responsibilities. When I was out there next to the tracks in Oakland, she was right by my side turning wrenches.I'm not afraid to clean and she's not afraid to
change a tire on my M54A2. It's a new world out there,
let's just share it. It's a lot more fun that way.
Just an old Jarheads two cents.
Bruce

akguy

Hey firefox,

you apparently understand life. In reality my wife and i are like that.

Yours was more than "two cents". Way more.

You ex marine?

FrankUSMC

akonitony
August 26th 1920, the 19th amendment granting the woman the right to vote, not 1965.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
akguy, we like to be called former Marines (this one was born in Fairbanks, Alaska)

I stand corrected on the date. I believe it was segregation with which I was confused. Happens all the time. My point was in the 1950s children had mothers doing a very important job for which they evidently did not get enough credit, and we had minor problems from minors. I also was simply pointing out I have worked in both male and female dominated professions, so don't think I am not for women's rights. As for telling me and the other folk who said to man up we need to lighten up, you asked for our opinion and we gave it. Last time I checked, the 1st amendment protects that.
As for those of you jumping on "the my wife and I are partners" bandwagon, I would like to think after a decade of marriage, and both of us trading the many responsibilites there are in life, we are partners in every sense of the word. As I pointed out earlier she is from a background where men still wear the pants. She has seen how women treat men in our society, and told me if I ever became like one of those men, she would leave me, so don't think for a second she does not have a voice. Lighten up yourself.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I am an old Marine. My serial number is a real USMC serial number, not a Social Security number.
That is true, but I am just joshing around. It doesn't make me any better than any other Marine.

If you want to have some fun ask a Marine to tell you the story of the first Marine.
Bruce

number9

You know, i started this thread with a little humor in mind. But apparently there are some who can't understand that and get all involved in saying "be a man of the house". Good god, that is so single minded. Lighten up people.

Enough said.

I said that with humor in mind as well - posted the grinning thumbsup icon to signify that - sorry if you didn't take it that way. I was only joking and meant no wrong by it.

guner51

My wife

I been married to my wifle for almost 30 years now and we had our ups and downs ,even a 2 year seperation , but love alway can throght and we got back together. She let me buy just about everthing without to much greaf.But when she disagree in somthing I"m buying I think about it again,Like the time I sold my backhoe and was going to buy a semi-auto Berrett .50 cal the only thing she said was (you could buy a lot more guns for your collection tfor $7500.00 than just one. and the time I wanted to go to St Louis ,Mo. to look at a tank she said for that type of money buy your wrecker and put the rest back for a rainy day. But the day we were a the Rock Island Arsenal and she seen a Ontos she said it was cute and I should get one.
How many women would call a tracked war machine as cute.
I wouldn"t trade trade all the guns and military vehicles for her.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks