• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overkill Customs M920 Build

eldgenb

Man! you drove right by me. It would have been a riot with my neighbors had you stopped by.

I could have been like "seee what I could have. The duece isn't that big!"

Are you gonna bring that on the convoy next Summer?

Where is your business at in Spokane? I am up there all the time.

You know honestly I don't even know what I am doing next week let alone summer. I usually do not participate in those types of evens because they are all Seattle based and to drive around at 6mpg to show it off is typically not a good business decision unless I am headed over there for parts or truck. If I can time it right I will be there.
Eldgen.

eldgenb

Man! you drove right by me. It would have been a riot with my neighbors had you stopped by.

I could have been like "seee what I could have. The duece isn't that big!"

Are you gonna bring that on the convoy next Summer?

Where is your business at in Spokane? I am up there all the time.
Almost forgot, I am a home based business in Spokane valley, I usually have between two and five trucks at any given point to be built or bobbed. Thank god my neighbors are kosher. You can call me anytime and come see my toys and what I do. 509-270-1998 You are gonna die when you see what I am doing with the little space I have. By the way, I am wrapping up a bobbed winch deuce here pretty quick if anyone is interested??
Eldgen.

reb87

Tactical truck, I bet your afc\aneroid(im not sure of the proper terminology) diaphram has a hole in it. The ip is not supposed to give extra fuel until it builds up some boost. If the diaphram has a hole in it the boost will not get to the proper place.

M920

thanks Reb, where would I find that? Is there boost pressure going to the ip somewhere?

Jeff

Jeff,

well.....the good news is: the diaphram in question, is located on the back side of the IP. It is an easy to find triangular cover with a brass fitting on top that has the pressure line from the bottom of the aftercooler housing attached to it. It is held in place by 3 screws and you can see the orange rubber diaphram protruding between the cover and the pump.
The bad news is: You have to take the IP of the engine in order to replace it....
= PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!! :roll:

You can try to check it first by taking the steel pressure line from the manifold of the top of the cover, attach a vacum pump to it and draw a vacum. If it holds the vacum it's probably ok, if it bleeds down you got a leaking diaphram.
Just make sure you got a good tight connection between the fitting and hose.

With the CPL # of the top of the IP, you can get a replacement from any Cummins dealer .

Soni

tm america

Nice build..Looks like factory...i keep looking at that bed and the empty roller and thinking if you made some mounts to hook the back of the bed to the old roller pin.and put a mount on the front of the bed you could use the truck as a dump to..The crane could be used to lift the bed to dump it and to load it

eldgenb

Nice build..Looks like factory...i keep looking at that bed and the empty roller and thinking if you made some mounts to hook the back of the bed to the old roller pin.and put a mount on the front of the bed you could use the truck as a dump to..The crane could be used to lift the bed to dump it and to load it
great idea, I posted that about half way down on page 2. I am going to get some pipe to go around the pin and box in some hinges and weld a u bolt to the front of the bed to manually dump.;)

eldgenb

Sorry must have missed that part I was distracted by the bad ace truck in your pics........I like it keep up the good work
No worries, I actually have a complete hydraulic dump bed assemble that I built with a sub frame similar to what the 817's have and decided not to install it. I know it is a little vain but the bottom of the cab and bed are soo close in height that if I add another 8" in sub frame I think it would have looked tacky and since this is a business what I drive represents my work so I will put that dump setup on a deuce or something for a customer instead.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking build. You one uped me with the the crane and welcome to the 920 cargo club. I did use a drop side bed though and am looking for a crane to mount. You could use your winch on the back end of the truck. I was thinking this. With a crane that reaches the rear of the truck you could remove and store the winch and not make it fixed. The winch could hang on the rear by short chains. I took off the roller pin and run big shackles in the holes. This would be a strong point to secure the two top mount chains for the winch and just one chain off the pindle or off the bottom shackles with two chains.
If you realy want to go out there have Hyd. front and back and the winch can be moved and just pluged in front or rear. The crane realy makes this truck. The only problem I see is the beds are so small it will be hard to overload the axles.

Last edited:

eldgenb

Good looking build. You one uped me with the the crane and welcome to the 920 cargo club. I did use a drop side bed though and am looking for a crane to mount. You could use your winch on the back end of the truck. I was thinking this. With a crane that reaches the rear of the truck you could remove and store the winch and not make it fixed. The winch could hang on the rear by short chains. I took off the roller pin and run big shackles in the holes. This would be a strong point to secure the two top mount chains for the winch and just one chain off the pindle or off the bottom shackles with two chains.
If you realy want to go out there have Hyd. front and back and the winch can be moved and just pluged in front or rear. The crane realy makes this truck. The only problem I see is the beds are so small it will be hard to overload the axles.
Yeah that is a good idea, I am looking for a good 5 ton front winch (will consider part trade for the winch or tag axle I took off) to mount on the front of the truck, I will make a custom winch bumper and convert it to hydraulic with the controls in the cab. I am also looking for an eaton fuller 13 or 18 speed if anyone wants to do some trading. As far a the rear axle goes, I have considered singling out the rear tandems sine that would be more appropriate weight wise but since the tandems are bulletproof and both rears have detroit lockers I have a hard time sacrificing performance for comfort. Plus the odds of finding 920 front springs would be near impossible right now.

tm america

I agree I wouldn't bother putting a sub frame on there it looks great how it is the only thing I would do is box the bed frame with 3/16 plate that's how I did mine the bed doesn't seem to flex no matter how much I load it

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to fix mount a winch on these beasts I think the rear would be a better place. Might be better to pull yourself out the way you came in?

eldgenb

If I had to fix mount a winch on these beasts I think the rear would be a better place. Might be better to pull yourself out the way you came in?
Yeah I would agree but when it comes down too it this will only see minimal at best off road, nothing like what I do in the deuces etc. If I were to get stuck and needed to back out I could use the crane as an oversized come a long and pull my self out 38' at a time, the front winch would be more for recovering others or pulling bldg's down or, well you get the idea.

eldgenb

so and update, I was not able to get the front end to engage for anything which resulted in one stuck requiring to winch it out with my deuce and one near stuck with no support. Come to find out after talking with Soni that the air lines going into the lock, unlock diaphragm were reversed so, as embarrassed as I am to have served in a motor pool for years, never doubt the human error factor in repairs. this was by far the quickest repair I have ever done. I have also taken the stock mudflaps for the deuce that were mounted to the bed and reversed them and put them on the front of the bed to protect the crane and fuel tank from debris flung around by the tires, that was a pretty easy mod as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks