• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overkill Customs M920 Build

goldneagle

Good looking build. You one uped me with the the crane and welcome to the 920 cargo club. I did use a drop side bed though and am looking for a crane to mount. You could use your winch on the back end of the truck. I was thinking this. With a crane that reaches the rear of the truck you could remove and store the winch and not make it fixed. The winch could hang on the rear by short chains. I took off the roller pin and run big shackles in the holes. This would be a strong point to secure the two top mount chains for the winch and just one chain off the pindle or off the bottom shackles with two chains.
If you realy want to go out there have Hyd. front and back and the winch can be moved and just pluged in front or rear. The crane realy makes this truck. The only problem I see is the beds are so small it will be hard to overload the axles.
Next time they have the MK trailer for sale in Jacksonville, FL get one. You can get the Hiab crane from it as well as the cargo body. I am sure you can also find use for the wheels and tires. That is what I was dreaming of doing to a M920 truck. Nothin better then a self loading cargo truck!

eldgenb

Next time they have the MK trailer for sale in Jacksonville, FL get one. You can get the Hiab crane from it as well as the cargo body. I am sure you can also find use for the wheels and tires. That is what I was dreaming of doing to a M920 truck. Nothin better then a self loading cargo truck!
Yeah I had looked at that option, we have them over here in Cali all the time but neither of the two crane options that came on the trailer had the capacity or reach that I was looking for, those are wayjax cranes on bother of the mk17 trailers. My crane has a 38ft reach with 14500 max lift, the wayjax ones are 9k lift with I think 22 ft reach iirc.

eldgenb

Dump hinges Done

Well I have finally completed the hinges for the dump bed, did a heavy load last night (sorry no video, did it in the dark and it would not have turned out) and it worked flawlessly. I will say that it is quite the operation to get everything set up to dump with the crane but it will tie me over till summer when I will build the hydraulic dump ram assembly. I already have everything to do it but it will need to be mildly modified to work on the 920. Also included is a pic of my quality control supervisor (Rusti).

Attachments

Josh

Did you reinforce the deuce bed at all? Wonder if it will bend in the middle with a full load being the lift point is in the very front.

eldgenb

Did you reinforce the deuce bed at all? Wonder if it will bend in the middle with a full load being the lift point is in the very front.
as of yet I have not, that is going to part of phase 2 when I fabricate up the hydraulics. I can say however that I had close to 10k in it last night and it did not even flinch, I would not be real worried about it even un-reinforced.

eldgenb

well I finally received my sf97 form and when I paid for it and filled it out I slipped to term RECREATIONAL into the vehicle type section to see if it would be an oversight to give me a leg up and.... I was wrong, they corrected it so now I will register as collector until I figure something better out. On a positive note they must have been laughing at me too much over that and had an oversight on the purchase price. They put the purchase price at $1300 instead of the $5300 that I actually paid so I will take a win no matter how it comes!

eldgenb

for those who don't do this as a business, I did not allow GL to collect tax at time of purchase so I will be taking this to my local DOL and paying tax based on the botched purchase price.

Coldfusion21

Not that it needs saying but do be careful with the rating of those chains. With the way the load is pulling them and already being at an angle to each other they are seeing a much higher load.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

Looks like an awesome project. Maybe i will get a chance to see it at one of the PNW meets.

M1075

On a positive note they must have been laughing at me too much over that and had an oversight on the purchase price. They put the purchase price at $1300 instead of the $5300 that I actually paid so I will take a win no matter how it comes!
I believe the $1300 is the amount GL paid the Gvt for your truck and they made $4000 off your purchase.

86m1028

for those who don't do this as a business, I did not allow GL to collect tax at time of purchase so I will be taking this to my local DOL and paying tax based on the botched purchase price.

please explain how you did NOT allow them to collect taxes ????

Im fighting with them right now on three different purchases about this.

eldgenb

please explain how you did NOT allow them to collect taxes ????

Im fighting with them right now on three different purchases about this.

Get a business license for dealing in trucks and or heavy equipment and fill out all of the necessary paperwork online. For the average joe who is buying to keep it is not something I would advise, you will always end up paying the tax anyways. The only time it is beneficial is if you are in the business of resale and do not want to have to pay tax on a vehicle you never intend to register. I buy and sell all my trucks but this one has found a warm spot in my heart and I have not been able to part with her.

By the way I was thinking of some names for her and although she is not guaranteed a girls name here are some ideas.

Titan
Zeus
Jessica (just kidding wreckerman)

Yeah I am pretty much out of ideas, pretty sad but I did name my son with the first name that came to mind so please help me come up with a name to suite her.
any help would be appreciated.

eldgenb

Not that it needs saying but do be careful with the rating of those chains. With the way the load is pulling them and already being at an angle to each other they are seeing a much higher load.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

Looks like an awesome project. Maybe i will get a chance to see it at one of the PNW meets.

Yeah believe me that did cross my mind, when I actually dumped with a load I doubled up the chains. This setup is very temporary, I have a frame assembly with all the the hydraulics that I will build into the truck this summer that will fix all those problems. I do not want to raise the height of the bed so I will use some 3/8 or 1/2 angle iron and build the new framework in between the existing frame level with the top so that it does not increase the height. The horizontal side of the angle will probably be 8" so that I can drill and bolt it to the 5th wheel plate mounting system and the vertical portion will either be 6" and will be faced up providing I have enough clearance or faced down if that does not work. The system I have is rated for 12 tons and made completely from 1" steel.

eldgenb

just got off of the phone with a gentleman in my area who needs deuce transmission really bad for his plow truck and said that he has a fuller 18 spd he will trade me for it so I will be trenching around in the snow pulling and installing a tranny today:neutral: Not what I was expecting to be doing but hey, see a need fill a need. Those of us brave enough to deal with steel soldiers need to take care of each other.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... Took the red eye and ended up in LA at 8:30 am, From LA we drove thought the night to Nashville TN to pick up the National Crane N80 knuckle boom that I had purchased before and then headed home to Spokane. Total trip 2550 miles total time 3.5 days. I would never recommend doing it that fast again, between the sleep deprived induced hallucinations and the mood swings
eldgenb, I roll the same way! Congrats on your creation, it really looks usefull.

Possible names in no particular order or for any reason:

"Law dog"
"Sheeba"
"Hercules"
"tiny" (always liked the contrariness title)

Cheers and I am a vote to incorporate a rear mounted winch as well!

Rick

tm america

Looks awsome with the bed raised up..There would be no limit to your dumping angle with that setup...Very nice..That truck has one heck of a frame wow

eldgenb

How much snow do you guys have up there? How does the truck handle in the snow?
We were dry for weeks and yesterday we got a little over 12" so not too bad but not VW weather. The truck does good when you want to go forward, even with the crane and the bed she is too light to stop well. When I fell myself to start to slip on the decel I reach over the hit the air switch for the front axle and that makes a world of difference. I attempted to go hardcore with it last night and no go, she is too heavy to be hitting snow hills at speed in an off camber situation. It was a wild slide backwards down the hill.:cookoo:

eldgenb

"tiny" (always liked the contrariness title) Cheers and I am a vote to incorporate a rear mounted winch as well! Rick[/QUOTE said:
I do like that title as well, that would be appropriate for my personality too. I would like to do a rear winch but before I go through all of the trouble of doing one on the truck I would mount a winch to the crane for various operations and just use it as a recovery device if I need to. This truck will still see minimal off road plus I have four three other deuces one with winch if I need to get myself out that bad. I think it would be cool to say I have it but that would be about all it would be good for to me.