• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overkill Customs M920 Build

eldgenb

yep, photo-chop really does wonders for helping spatial thinkers like me.

i agree, the dump bed looks much better than the deuce bed. i wonder about the length, though. i'd be tempted to chop the frame and bring the bed up to the crane.

but this is from the arm chair - being there in person and faced with the amount of work that shortening that frame would require would likely squish any temptation that i had.

photo-chop the dump bed up to the crane and i think you'll see what i think i'll see. (?)

whatever - that's a rediculously sweet truck regardless!!!!!!! one day i'd like to have you build one for me...
I agree with you completely on moving the box forward but I think that I will use the space to mount or make some kind of a tool box to fill the gap. These trucks are very limited on storage and I have all kind of home made lifts and slings to use with the crane and I cannot fit them all in the truck as it is. I am removing the passenger side seat and tool box to put in air ride so that will be gone as well very soon. And yes, being as intimate with the 920 as I care to be shows me that cutting 18" out of the truck would by far be the most labor intensive project that I have ever done so that will also knock that out of my thought process, I do think that some of the 916 guys who already have a shorter wheelbase could really benefit from a conversion like that though.

Last edited:

eldgenb

well I won the auction for the dump bed assembly and will be picking it up here either tomorrow or next week, got the whole thing for cheap. I will need a tailgate though, hint hint!!;)

eldgenb

well I got the dump bed home, I am going to have to rethink the hydraulic circuit I have and I will try to reuse most of the parts that came with the assembly like the valve etc. I think it would be easier to tie it into the knuckleboom circuit than trying to use a hydraulic motor to power the pump and setup under the bed currently.

Attachments

eldgenb

nice you able to call brad? and still coming down?
Yes I did, and yes I am, I am going to bring the dodge this go around, spent enough time in the 920 yesterday to tie me over for a while, I am going to swing by and pick one up from him after picking up my tires.
Thanks again, that was a great referral!

eldgenb

he gave me his address, I am hoping that my gps finds him, if not I will give you a call. Thanks.
One other thing, we were thinking of hosting a pnw mini rally over here, ranchhand has 20 acres and I have half a cow to eat this year, any interest from the west side to join us? I think we may end up pulling a lot of new faces from the idaho montana area as well. I just wasnt sure how many of the westsiders ( I am from seattle) want to join us?

Last edited:

srodocker

okie dokes. his place is hard to see from the road. has a truck out front usually behind his fence and has like 2 poles. one on each side with propane tanks on top of them.

eldgenb

Well I got the dump bed and tailgate put together and unbolted the cab cover from the bed, this is going to be a pretty easy swap over, I took a load of scrap to the recyclers today and 920 empty tips in at 30,268 lbs With the dump bed on there I am sure it will end up in the 31k range. Not too bad all things considered. Will post pics once I start the bed swapping process.

Excuse Me

I apologize for the hijack. Where is "Brad", and what is it that he is selling? A part out yard perhaps?
I'm in Portland, so if Seattle is the location, it's a day trip.
Thanks.
Don.

eldgenb

Well I am well on my way with the revised dump bed configuration, so far I like it much better than the deuce bed, size wise it is way more appropriate for the size of the 920 and it gives me back 24" of frame to work with. I plan on mounting a spare tire carrier and toolbox that came with the m817 setup I bought which will be closest to the crane and I am going make a deck plate with a folding ladder that comes down so I can crawl my way up to the frame without having to do the trapeze act from the cab over the crane to the bed. I do not have the hydraulics hooked up yet I am waiting for my valve to show up in the mail.
Thanks for looking. I modified the mounting system like I did because this is all part of my quick disconnect theme. I will have disconnects on the hydraulic hoses so I can remove this completely in about 15 min and have the 5th wheel back on it in 10. who knows if I come across a water tank maybe I will make it a Swiss army knife or my own version of a PLS.

Attachments

Last edited:

eldgenb

Looks good eldgenb,I just about have my 916 dump finished.Thanks for the help over the phone.
my please even though I don't think I was much help:oops: always have fun with this stuff and helping others, I look forward to seeing pics of the 916 when it is done.

tm america

Not tryin to be negative or anything.but the deuce bed looked better.. That bed looks way to short-small for the truck..Maybe it would look better if you moved the crane back towards the bed and put a sleeper in the gap between the cab and crane...But this is just my oppinion..