• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

mendo

This is a great thread and patracy is making me look kind of lazy, and I appreciate it, I am being very motivated!!

I really enjoy the updates and look forward to each one, you are doing a great job!!

Because of your inspiration, I have gone out and worked on my Goat!

Keep up the great work! I wonder how that cab would look on the front of a Goat?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stopped today and looked at a complete knuckleboom. I put a deposit on it. Plan on picking it up friday. I also have the option to buy the entire truck for $1K more. But I'm not sure it's worth it. It does have a dump bed though.

Danger Ranger

You can always clean the truck up, and resell it for a bit more than a grand, then use it to help pay for the work you have been doin to the hemtt truck.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Problem is, it has other problems. (Low gear is busted, won't run over 25mph, exc.) If I could have hopped in it yesterday and driven it home, I'd have loaded my jeep in the bed of it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not much else has been done lately. But I did pick this up today. It's an older Altec knuckleboom. Not sure the specifics since a lot of the plates were painted over. Paid a little more than I wanted to. But it was in driving distance and came with the hyd pump. Also has a winch for the boom so that's a plus. Worked good when I tested it. Only problem I foresee is the outriggers. They're plenty long enough for a civy 2wd truck, but I doubt they'll be long enough for the SEMTT. I'm thinking for the mean time I'll just use some large wooden blocks to space them.

Anyhow back to the crane. I did find a tag that said altec. But there was also another tag that said compact knuckleboom. But the "brand/name" was scratched out. There was a 8250lb weight rating on it. But I'm guessing that's for as close as possible lifting. I also think there's a "Mod. 500" on that tag as well. I'm going to try to google a bit to see if I can come up with a load chart for it.

Also threw in a few pics of the crane in action from the donor truck. You might notice that it has a good reach to it. First stage is powered, second stage is manual.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and this sucker is HEAVY. A case 580 backhoe strained to lift this crane. And my poor little car hauler trailer didn't like it too much either.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much else has been done lately. But I did pick this up today. It's an older Altec knuckleboom. Not sure the specifics since a lot of the plates were painted over. Paid a little more than I wanted to. But it was in driving distance and came with the hyd pump. Also has a winch for the boom so that's a plus. Worked good when I tested it. Only problem I foresee is the outriggers. They're plenty long enough for a civy 2wd truck, but I doubt they'll be long enough for the SEMTT. I'm thinking for the mean time I'll just use some large wooden blocks to space them.

Anyhow back to the crane. I did find a tag that said altec. But there was also another tag that said compact knuckleboom. But the "brand/name" was scratched out. There was a 8250lb weight rating on it. But I'm guessing that's for as close as possible lifting. I also think there's a "Mod. 500" on that tag as well. I'm going to try to google a bit to see if I can come up with a load chart for it.

Also threw in a few pics of the crane in action from the donor truck. You might notice that it has a good reach to it. First stage is powered, second stage is manual.
Just a thought...

If your SEMTT has CTIS you can just deflate the tires until the outriggers reach the ground - LOL :doh: . :shock: . :naner:

Oh and this sucker is HEAVY. A case 580 backhoe strained to lift this crane. And my poor little car hauler trailer didn't like it too much either.

What have we been telling everyone about OVERLOADED recovery vehicles? SHAME on you for setting such an example for the troops!

On the other hand.... CONGRATZ on a successful recovery, a good score, and that your equipment qualified the "NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTED" portion of the performance evaluation!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a thought...

If your SEMTT has CTIS you can just deflate the tires until the outriggers reach the ground - LOL :doh: . :shock: . :naner:
I don't plan on ever owning any CTIS equipped vehicle.

What have we been telling everyone about OVERLOADED recovery vehicles? SHAME on you for setting such an example for the troops!

On the other hand.... CONGRATZ on a successful recovery, a good score, and that your equipment qualified the "NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTED" portion of the performance evaluation!
My trailer has hauled my M1008 before. The thing it didn't like was how the crane sits on it only on one board per corner. The trailer has brakes. And I loaded the crane with the weight over the trailer axles. I just took my time getting home. (Didn't get over 60mph)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't plan on ever owning any CTIS equipped vehicle.

My trailer has hauled my M1008 before. The thing it didn't like was how the crane sits on it only on one board per corner. The trailer has brakes. And I loaded the crane with the weight over the trailer axles. I just took my time getting home. (Didn't get over 60mph)

I really knew that you'd be safety-minded. Just had to hassle you a bit. Still kinda challenging to max out the payload of any vehicle and still "keep it between the lines".
Again... Congratz on the successful recovery.
We're all looking forward to "the rest of the story" on your SEMTT.

:beer:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok so go easy on me. This is my first sheetmetal project. Have the bumper frame clad in 18ga sheetmetal. Ran outta dang etching primer on the passenger side. (Primed the backside of the sheetmetal and the frame before installing) I'm going to pick up some trim to go around the headlight cutouts to "finish them off". And I'll get some more etching primer to get it to match at least for now. (bugs me, I only primed it because I didn't want the metal to rust) Still gotta get the grill made for it. Next order of business I believe will be removing the side saddle "battery box" and air valves. where the steps used to be. If I get far enough along tomorrow, maybe I'll even sit the crane on the frame.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Weather and oncall haven't allowed me to get very far along this weekend. But I did get the shackles mounted to the front bumper. I also have the "steps" loose on both sides. The battery "box" will be relocated, probably to the rear cab mount crossmember from the 931. I think the driver's side step will simply move inboard and clear. I've got my channel steel cut for the crane spacers. And I've got some 1.5" by 1/2" bar stock cut up for ribs to weld inside the channel for re-enforcement. It'll get boxed in with 1/2" by 5" bar stock on the outside as well. I hope I'll be able to get that done tomorrow. I've got 1" threaded rod for the crane as well to secure it. But I really want to get a PTO unit first since it'd be so much easier to install it right now than afterwards. I believe by the design of the crane I'll be able to use it to help construct the engine doghouse as well. I'll probably pull the spare tire divet as well tomorrow.

zout

Would you take a few up to date walk around pictures - engine looking into cab area - stuff like that if you get a chance please

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry for the lack of pics. I've been dodging raindrops and calls from work. I'll get some updated pics tomorrow. I did get the spacers for the crane pretty much done today. Just need to cut the 5" bar stock for the sideplates and weld them on and grind flush. I also got all the airlines relocated around the frame rail on the driver's side. Didn't get the battery box relocated yet, but it's loose. (I'm going to cheat with the wrecker and just lift it over to place LOL) The driveshaft I have for the crane pump is wore out, I'll pull it tomorrow and have it rebuilt. I still need to purchase a PTO though. Finally starting to move some parts on ebay, so some funding is coming back into the project.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Won't be any updates for a while. Funding has been cut for now. (Trying to sell my old house) Gotta sell some more parts before I can buy the PTO I need for the crane. I've been piddling with it a little here and there. I've got what I need to at least mount the crane. But I kinda want to wait until I have the PTO installed since it'd be sooo much easier to install the PTO right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks