• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20's - just finished!

chevy43

Grreat looking 800.

Is there any tire rub on the front when turning hard?

I have a full set up of tires and wheels but I haven't mounted them yet.

I'm glad I found this thread.

Treven.

dma251

No tire rub either way and the truck still has an excellent turning radius. I really don't see the big deal with running these tires. I have experienced only positives and none of the negatives everyone was warning me about. I have yet to be able to make the rears rub on the bottom of the cargo box, I have yet to experience any rocks or sticks lodged in between the rears, the turning radius is the same as before with NO rubbing either direction, and the truck drives much better.

Just do it, you'll like it.

dma251

No tubes. In fact if you need some I have 5 of them and 2-3 flaps. I used the o-rings on the wheels, and have not had any leaks at all. My wheels were sandblasted and powdercoated, though, so that made sealing them up real easy. It might be a bit harder with a rusted wheel.

I wouldn't mess with the tubes unless I absolutely had to. You have to permanently modify the wheel, and I think it would be much more worthwhile to spend the small amount of money it would cost to have such a wheel sandblasted down and powdercoated. They are remarkably easy to mount yourself using the o-rings and a gallon of tire mounting lube. It took me longer to air up the tires to 90 psi then it did to mount them. I did it with out tools in my driveway.

dma251

Here's a couple new pics - with the seats both installed and the intercom hooked up. I also put the crane in finally and put the cover back on.

Getting ready for the bed lift and the winch.

I'm also thinking of building a great big steel cow-catcher front bumper guard that I can bolt onto the front bumper when I want to plow into things....

Attachments

Deuceswild

Just cant stop saying "WOW",,
Your really doing a geat job! Really like the Vids, the truck looks and sounds awesome,
can't wait to see it with the winch installed :D

TheBuggyman

Deuceswild said:
Just cant stop saying "WOW",,
Your really doing a geat job! Really like the Vids, the truck looks and sounds awesome,
can't wait to see it with the winch installed :D
Second that! What a great job and one of the best looking fivers that I have seen.
It makes me want the 52's, I'm just concerned that they will rub as I'll be using the truck as an off road dump unit and I have the ISO container bed.
I also like the fact that you are using two driver seats so the passenger has a little luxury too.

Again, GREAT JOB!

chevy43

I was looking at O ring stock in the McmasterCarr catalog and thinking it would be an ecconomical way to make up some new O rings for the rims.

A couple of my rims may have been cut for tubes so I might like to buy a couple of your tubes. I need to have a look again and see.

Treven.

dma251

Sure thing - just let me know. I ordered up some new o-rings from o-rings inc. and they ended up at around $8 each. Myself and M1075 are the only two people that have ever ordered that type of o-ring from them. If you want the P/N I can get it for you.

By the way - if you use o-rings, don't put them on the drop-channel of the main wheel section (the one with studs on it), lube up the o-ring and fit it into the inside edge of the outer wheel ring that is bolted down.

It took me a bit of figuring before I realized that they will seal up perfect every time if you put the o-ring there.

dma251

RE: SS

I used FlightCom equipment. So far I am really impressed. I use it for driver-passenger communication when I'm on the freeway (it's pretty loud in there) and I use it daily to listen to my MP3 player, too.

The main unit is a FlightCom iNova, and my headsets are 4DLX models. I bought all of it off of Ebay. The iNova unit is discontinued, but it is almost the same as the the IIxs model (the only difference is the iNova is stereo, the IIxs is mono).

The really cool thing about it is that it offers full-duplex conversation. There are no push-to-talk buttons, no waiting for your turn BS. Just talk as normal. It is voice activated, and it trips very easily, so you don't need to alter your voice to activate it. When you are done speaking, any audio you have piped it through the Aux input comes back on. In my case I have MP3 player feeding tunes into all the time. The audio quality is surprisingly good. Not much bass obviously, but I listen to rock music on it and it sounds good.

If you buy the headets off Ebay make sure you don't get headsets with the helicopter style plug - it won't fit the control box without a $35 adapter (each headset). Also, Don't make the mistake of buying a headset without a microphone. They are about $50 each... I've got two headsets in the boxes I bought and cant' use because they are heli style, and one is missing the mic.

Here's a picture of how I mounted my setup. The whole system is made to run off a 9 volt battery, but it also comes with a 9-32 volt power jack, so I wired it to a toggle switch on my dash, and fed power from a 12v fusebox under my glovebox. Otherwise the only way to turn the power off is to unplug the headset plugs. This way I just flip the switch and I'm on. Even got a red indicator light. The other wire is the aux-input patch cord. It's what you use to plug an MP3 player into a car radio. $3 on Ebay.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: SS

Wow that is so small compared to the ungainly military communications setups. I had been thinking of going this route, but I and definatly doing so now after seeing this. Do you by an chance know if the connectors on the David Clark H10-70 military aviation headsets is the same as the type for your system? I have heard good things about that brand, and may have a good deal on some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks