• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Political Messages on your MV

Alredneck

Banned
Ive pondered this many a day! On one hand I feel its our obligation to spread the word and enlighten fellow citizens that are otherwise ignorant of the many wrong doings our once great country has done to " the people ". On one hand these same MVs fought along side our soldiers protecting the vary same rights you exercise in displaying a message. On the other it makes some folks hate our beloved vehicles all the more. I say do what makes you feel better and hopefully have the support of the many instead of the few! Goodluck with whatever you decide! I got your back!:-D

It irks me to be around people that think our government is a democratic form, last I checked the Constitution said we are a republic!

saddamsnightmare

December 14th, 2009.

Gents:

Is it quite possible that the mere existance of any of our machines, beyond their intrinsic worth as trucks, jeeps, & c. represents a political statement? Moreover, should this country ever be attacked (from without or within), I doubt that the attackers would waste much time differentiating between Uncle's vehicles and ours....
At least we can have the discussion(s) we are having, and in most of America these vehicles are recognized for the parts they played in U.S. and World history, along with the stories they generated among the drivers and troops who drove and rode in them. Personally, I suspect the stories attached to them are as interesting as the vehicles themselves, and almost every society that ever existed in the world has had totems in one form or the other used to convey ideas and realities. Even the agnosticand the atheists have their icons, they just hate admitting it.
Personally, I would like to see one Icon returned from the hands of the country that has it, and that is of course the USS Pueblo. We had the chance last year to retake it when it was international waters being moved from the east to west coasts of N. Korea, and no one in the government had the jewels to say "Take it!". It is our vessel, still in commission, and if nothing else it memorializes the lives of the two crewmen who died in the attack, and the fact we didn't have the guts to do anything about it on day one. There are very few AKL's from WWII still around in operable condition, and the USS Pueblo is one of them.

Just my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

tamangel

just a quick question..did the US sign the international treaty that recognizes a specific boundary line for international waters. Like 12 miles or 50 miles or ? We hear the term all the time of being in 'international Waters' but am curious if anyone here has an interest in International Marine Law and might shed some light here.. I'm not making any comments on the Pueblo incident itself, just the treaties which may have effected both sides...

Mike

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I get to drive my desert tan M1009 in berzerkely on a regular basis, that's about all the political statement I need. I don't need the broken windows.

I keep the NRA sticker on the Miata. That's paradoxical there...
I would love to do that in my 5 Ton:-D. I'm surprised the city council there hasn't enacted a ban on you personally:roll:.

Unforgiven

Just as long as you don't put tennis balls in a nylon stocking to look like testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. God I hate that. Technically, that should be considered obscene in public. I don't have kids. But if I did I wouldn't want to explain why the guy in front of us has testicles hanging off his truck. May as well strap a dildo on the front as a hood ornament.

I'm sorry. I don't think free speech should cover truck testicles. I know nobody here would do that. But I'm just saying I hate guys that do that.

I would rather see a comical warning for tailgaters rather than political messages. Some of those darned little cars look like they're going to drive under you when they disappear in the mirror, right before darting out to the side to pass and cut you off.

Stan Leschert

You know, it is just a truck! On the other hand, is a moving tangible monument to all of those who served and rode in that truck. I am very proud to drive ours, and to be an ambassador for all of those who brought to every fool, the right to freely express his opinion, and then be judged as to the quality and intelligence there of.... At least we have that right! Freedom isn't cheap!

jatonka

I may be the most conservative, opionated, Redneck, hillbilly, Pissed off at the current political situation person on this site, and I feel there is no place for politiclly oriented messages on any of our MVs. I have them all over the back of my privately owned, civilian pickup, ask any one who knows me, no holds barred. But...... we have to consider that our MVs are historical, lets leave them in that light. We can get our message out on civy vehicles, like thge guys are doing on the Subarus and hondas. That has to screw up the tree huggers and liberals. JT out

mooresM35A2

Just as long as you don't put tennis balls in a nylon stocking to look like testicles hanging from the trailer hitch. God I hate that. Technically, that should be considered obscene in public. I don't have kids. But if I did I wouldn't want to explain why the guy in front of us has testicles hanging off his truck. May as well strap a dildo on the front as a hood ornament.

I'm sorry. I don't think free speech should cover truck testicles. I know nobody here would do that. But I'm just saying I hate guys that do that.

I would rather see a comical warning for tailgaters rather than political messages. Some of those darned little cars look like they're going to drive under you when they disappear in the mirror, right before darting out to the side to pass and cut you off.
well said!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
So...do I read the general consensus correctly?

Keep the MVs...well...MVs without personal opinions posted...unless patriotic oriented??

That leaves POVs ( civilian type ) to be decorated with all kinds of grafitti!!!!!!:-D

If so...I can can die happy:-D

Degosh

I'm a free speech kind of guy myself. You may be wanting to put something on there that would make me mad as heck but it's your truck (that you paid for) so put on there whatever you want :wink:.

If we had more people who thought like this the whole world be better.
im a Staff Sgt in the army and i may hate what you say or do but ill fight to the death if needed for your right to say it.
Tolerance of other ideas is key to freedom.

JWNathan

Wow great thread, this kind of level headed discussion between folks is what makes this a great site!

Now, I am a "ME generation" type, but choose not to place political stickers on my vehicles. I do however display a "DILLIGAF" sticker, and always a Gadsden Flag sticker on my vehicles, I even had two large 4" nuts welded together hanging under my Cummins.

Thanks for the good read tonite!
-Jesse

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BUMP. Here we go again.

As the original poster of this thread, Here's what I settled for my truck's tailgate. Nothing political. I still need to get a POW-MIA decal.
Nicely done:!:

I'd probably find myself tailgating that tailgate to get my bifocals into focus on the fine print though:driver::doh:aua..... that's gonna leave a mark:roll:

kastein

If (when) the inevitable comment is made, I will likely get a "complementing, not compensating" label for mine :nothingfunny: Might put a POW-MIA label and an American flag on it, but I will be keeping partisan politics off of it, in no small part because I am not a member of either major party and would feel the need to bag on both of them equally. There isn't enough space, even on a 5ton tailgate, to say everything I would want to say about both parties.

So far I've mostly used it to carry stuff, and to confound the autozone counter guys when I ask for parts.

Other than that, it's going to be a decade long restoration project from the look of things...

tamangel

The only suggestion I would make is to mount what ever stickers/decals/tirads/etc.. on some sort of a removable base so you can take it off when you are exhibiting your period correct rig.. Of course, your choice..and will any applications have an effect of the paint and sunlight fading, etc..?

Mike

donttreadonmebmg

I hear ya.

Well 25 minutes later I made my way from start to finish. good thread!!!
I agree and I agree. Both side of the argument are well presented.
As for me The F-150 rear window has two rattle snakes with the words Don't Tread On Me and OHIO MILITIA above N.E.O.D.F.
My M52A2 will remain green with perhaps a coiled rattle snake in flat black on the back of the cab, someday. and I always fly 2 American flags when I'm at a show with it.

Attachments

maynard83

I've seen plenty of guys here with 6 inch lifts on their trucks and knobby tires (who by the way never go off roading) with the silly fake testicles hanging from their truck and even though I find it stoooopid and immature but hey, it's their truck and they can do whatever they want to it.
As for messages, that is what is great (so far) about our country, that with regards to free speech, the rights of the individual supersedes any offense or disgust one might get from your message. So I say if you feel comfortable doing it, go ahead. Those who get offended usually get so from the moment they see your MV anyways so in my opinion it doesn't matter anyway.
I like my vehicles as clean and uncluttered as possible but that is my preference.

Power to the Me-eople!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks