• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Political Messages on your MV

tamangel

prius vs. duece? that prius is gonna look like a smashed beer can lol the guy drivin the prius is gonna be sorry
The guy and his family in the Prius would be dead..real funny sherlock.....Just because someone has an everyday driving small car, doesn't mean he/she doesn't like or appreciate MV's..I bet if someone put anti-war stickers on their MV, the other (?) side of the spectrum would be POed and I wonder what action they might take? I guess all I have to do is read other posts to see..

My vehicle says what I want to say..

Mike

edit: upon reflection, I apologize for offending anyone named Sherlock...should have used another term but the mods would have canceled my subscription.. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

moores, point taken..I have a problem at times with some folks on this forum as they type cast people all the time (I suppose it happens to me to on occasion when I appear unconscious). Not necessarily within this thread but have noticed lately a number of posts threatening people with bodily harm due to differing POV's... sounds like the tactics of the very people who we are attempting to defeat in the world.. We need to remember that this forum is a public venue..

Mike

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion”
Dwight David Eisenhower

emr

PapaBear, Thank you Very Much, Really it is simple Imuturity that makes others want to speak badley of others, maybe it makes them feel like more of a Man, oh well, This site has no place for such small people and small ideas, All are welcome here that I have seen, and we appreciate ALL Miltary truck talk ! If its about an MV go for it, if not maybe this thread should be pulled, Oh anyone who wish's to reply poorly to my words Please be man enough to e mail me call me or at least PM me ..973 219 4499. And not pollute this thread further.I am always available.please leave a phone # if not calling so I can get my point accross more clrearly...Thanks papabear....Well Said....Randy

aebiv

Wow, a lot of good views, and excellent points of view in the past 9 pages. I have to admit, I can see reason both ways.

Now for me, I'm not someone who is into restoration. I never have been with my old cars, and haven't started with my M1009. Sure, I understand why people do it, but for me it has always been about making it work for me. If that is changing to engines that parts are easier to find for, or converting electrical systems. My main goal is to make it fit me, and d*mn anyone else who wants to put their two cents into saying "that isn't how it use to be."

So while I understand how such members who want to keep the MV group out of "political messages" urge others to do the same. I have to remind them, it isn't their truck. It isn't their bumper or window. Yes, you could cast a light on the whole group by seeing 3 MV's with save the whale stickers on the beach, but you can do the same by looking at all the Prius's and their green/communism stickers. I actually know a conservative who owns one, and even though he'll grumble that people always think he is a liberal for driving one, he doesn't hold it against anyone else who drives a Prius for putting their views out there.

Now, while I'm all about being tactful, and respecting other members, I think we are in a time now where any censoring, be it done by self or not, is a grave mistake. We are facing massive and incredible changes in our country, and no matter what side of the aisle you stand on, it is time to get up off your butt and make your voice heard.

So yes, I've said I'll take the broken windows, taillights, and etc... Because everytime they do that, and I let some of my fence sitting friends know about it, they respect my side more and more.

Just a bit of food for thought for you all. ;-)

aebiv

And by the way, I do mean things that are in "good taste."

I have little respect for someone who puts "f**k liberals" on their bumper.

Is it their right? Absolutely. Are those the things I was talking about in my above pos? Not at all.

emr

I agree 100 % , It is there right, BUT It is the right of those who choose to join a Hobby, be it a Club or even a web site,To have certain obligations, to handle there views within the borders of such venues to have a set of values, these are not corvettes or mustangs, they represent Freedom, Sacrifice,and inginuity of those who designed and drove and were supported by these awesome vehicles, That really does put the person who choses this hobby to a higher standard, If someone chooses not to take the high road with this interest in military vehicles, they are the minority , and my find they are not welcome everywhere, and those who choose not to associate with them or there divisive views,WE have the same right to do so, At a tea Party i hold up a sign , in my lawn I may soon have a sign, BUT in this hobby grow up and keep it to ones self, Both sides of the isle died for these truths that these trucks represent, do not sully it. It is poor taste and bad judgement....There needs to be a place above that to me, and these vehicles, this site , and MV clubs are it....ALL have the right to enjoy these vehicles like I said before, it can not be that hard to refrain from bashing another in this hobby..I DO take my political views seriously big time, and voice them every chance i get, and at a good tone too, BUT NOT AROUND THESE TRUCKS!!! To me it is just sad to do it and even to want to, they mean so much more...Randy.. Oh as for to make your truck as special to U and what u want is a big go in my opinion, thats what they are for also, anyone can agree with that i am sure, Good post a good point to bring that up,

aebiv

Thanks for your view EMR. I appreciate the time you spent responding.

To me, these are just engines, bodies, and tires put together by the lowest bidder. I see no sense in holding them above anything else. Just as to me a Marine's Ka-Bar may be special to him, but to me it will always just be a knife. Placing an added value on objects to me, is as silly as the people who would pay for Elvis's socks. In the end, they are just socks. Hate me for this view, I put that added "value" in people, and things that won't burn with this world.

Sadly, as much as you say both sides have died for these truths, I would have agreed with you before. Not now. I think we do them a dis-service by not standing up for what we believe in.

emr

Actually i truly respect your point of view, And your ability to have it and discuss it, I agree and disagree with many things in life at the same time, at different times in my life I have held different views, I really do enjoy talking with people who have a different opinion than mine, I have chosen to keep my hobby opinion free as possible, but I really let it out otherwise, I have realized for many years our freedoms have been in decline, never as fast as today. We need to be outspoken, But only in ways that are above the "look at that radical, that only hurts all of us. I would like to believe and really do, That the Patriotism in these vehicles is something we can point to and discuss with the younger generation and teach them about ,not just trucks, but Integrity , and what this country stands for, And so much more ...I think that says and does more than any sign ever will to help us all out of this mess we are in, All the best...Randy

aebiv

;-)
...That the Patriotism in these vehicles is something we can point to and discuss with the younger generation and teach them about ,not just trucks, but Integrity , and what this country stands for...
I couldn't agree more Randy :-D

One of the hardest things to do I've found, is stand up for free speach even when the speech you are standing for you despise because it isn't what you believe. I'm sure you know what I mean, when you see the other sides bumper stickers, or signs held in protest, and that rage builds up inside that you want to tear it down/off... You always have to sit back and remember, if you stand for what the great Founders of this Nation believed, it covers the loons, no matter how insulting and stupid they are.

The only reason you'll see me play devil's advocate is simply because I believe we all need to be reminded of that from time to time.

What do I have in my rear window? A small American flag from blackhawk.com, and a sticker from LaRue Tactical saying "God Bless our troops, especially our snipers."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either one of those are tacky, and I didn't buy my M1009 for parades and such. I bought it to have a diesel blazer.

If I had something more rare, I doubt I would do anything like that, and more than likely would try to keep it origonal. ;)

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
aebiv...I don't think anyone will hate you for your views, I know I don't. I must admit that I'm a little unclear on what your message is though.
Is it that MVs...or any other manmade object for that matter should not be assigned a higher value?
If so...I agree to a point and I agree with putting "added value" in people.

My point...and my belief is just that these MVs REPRESENT those people who used them to gain and maintain our way of life.

I don't know your history and won't ask...except to ask why you bought an MV as opposed to a vehicle that was not made by the lowest bidder and probably more powerful and comfortable? What do you use it for?

Thank you for your post and your tact Sir.

aebiv

aebiv...I don't think anyone will hate you for your views, I know I don't. I must admit that I'm a little unclear on what your message is though.
Is it that MVs...or any other manmade object for that matter should not be assigned a higher value?
If so...I agree to a point and I agree with putting "added value" in people.

My point...and my belief is just that these MVs REPRESENT those people who used them to gain and maintain our way of life.

I don't know your history and won't ask...except to ask why you bought an MV as opposed to a vehicle that was not made by the lowest bidder and probably more powerful and comfortable? What do you use it for?

Thank you for your post and your tact Sir.
No, I think too many people place too much value on man made objects, INSTEAD of placing it on the people that they should honor. I've no problems with people wanting to keep any MV in perfect condition, just as Uncle Sam wanted to "honor" the troops that it served, but they shouldn't expect anyone else to do so. That is where I've seen those who buy old cop cars, firetrucks and etc go overboard quite often in defense of what they "represent."

Which is what I worry about when people start bringing up how changing things devalues the "worth" of whatever item they are talking about. I'm talking more about the "purists" value, more than the value you'd get selling it at an auction or on ebay. I've seen too much of the cult mentality when it comes to ex-LEO cars to not know the same thing is possible with the MVs.

I understand how some see all MV's of representing our troops, but it isn't a troops transportation now. It is your own, and in my opinion should reflect you, not whatever, or whomever else. If "you" keeps it all as Uncle Sam wanted, then that is you, but I don't think that view should be used as a blanket for all those who buy MVs. Everyone buys them for different reasons.

Why did I buy my CUCV M1009? Because having owned a 1978 Blazer, and having loved what it could do off road, I decided I wanted another one. I'm also a diesel lover, so keeping an eye open for an M1009 was a logical choice. It already has the loops for chain on the bumpers, it has the TH400, limited slip in the rear, etc... It was what I was looking for, didn't matter that it was military.

To clarify, as I think I've rambled and looped my conversation a few times now, I'm all for keeping these tasteful and not PR billboards. However, everyone has their own reason for owning these, I do not think they should be frowned on for voicing what they believe in on something they own. Now, if it is crude, rude, or disrespectful, we can disagree with them on that. However, taking any more issue with them than that I think is over the top.

Thank you for your post as well papabear, I hope everyone knows I'm not attacking any view that I've read in this discussion. I think there have been a lot of views put forward with great tact, but I felt that I needed to post a "warning" of sorts at where I believe the lines should be.

I really do enjoy this forum, I've found it to have a far more mature base of members than most forums. Which is why I took the risk of jumping into a political thread ;)

tamangel

...Prius's and their green/communism stickers...
..and you wonder why polarization of views exists..

teach the young about all aspects of history..let them make up their own minds..
http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_anthony__080510_veterans_denied_righ.htm

Mike

"With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it, nothing can succeed. Consequently he who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or pronounces decisions."
...Abraham Lincoln from the first debate with Douglas in 1858

Last edited:

aebiv

..and you wonder why polarization of views exists..

Mike

"With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it, nothing can succeed. Consequently he who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or pronounces decisions."
...Abraham Lincoln from the first debate with Douglas in 1858

Being from Cali as well, I'm sure you've seen your fair share of them as well ;)

ratstalker

Since I get to drive my desert tan M1009 in berzerkely on a regular basis, that's about all the political statement I need. I don't need the broken windows.

I keep the NRA sticker on the Miata. That's paradoxical there...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks