• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly No More Trucks from DLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the real deal? I have been out of touch, are the auctions over for all M series or not? JT out

No one knows. That is why the moderators are attempting to control all the drivel being posted.

All we know is that GL has pulled all the M series trucks and the Forestry Departments are no longer getting any trucks.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I forwarded all the info I got from EPA to Clinto and he will share it with other principles. It may be posted here if the mods think it necessary. There are people in high places working on this in several agencies so don't think everybody is sitting on their hands. I spoke to my State Senator yesterday at an event and when my Congressman gets back in town we are going to meet with him. We need a united front among hobbyists, surplus dealers, state forestry commissions, fire departments, municipalities that draw these vehicles to use or resale and other interested parties.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The insurance industry has something to loose here too, perhaps they can be of help when/if the time comes.

Carlo

Dear Doghead and other moderators, Please do not close this tread. Allot of important things I feel very revalent to me are coming out of this. I know sometimes there are some posts that are getting sidetracked as you say but this topic is so very important that this thread must stay open, please.
Thank you Mr. E and other moderators.
Carlo

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dear Doghead and other moderators, Please do not close this tread. Allot of important things I feel very revalent to me are coming out of this. I know sometimes there are some posts that are getting sidetracked as you say but this topic is so very important that this thread must stay open, please.
Thank you Mr. E and other moderators.
Carlo
The thread remaining open isn't up to Eric or any of the mods. It's up to the users to NOT POST SPECULATION AND DRIVEL.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Post #116 has the official letter from the Oklahoma Forestry Dept.. While a TV news organization is usually "close" on the news I don't give them too much credence. They get things wrong too many times.
Just pointing this out again. Please read through the thread before posting. Many posts have been duplicates of what has already been said.

acesneights1

I'm wondering if the current situation isn't related to the issues in California and requiring all diesel trucks to be retrofitted with 2010 or newer engines. With a very limited exception list, every diesel truck in CA has to meet that requirement or be taken permanently off the road. Other states appear to be considering similar legislation. There's a lot of pressure from various environmentalist groups to get older vehicles out of service, and as a group we're a pretty big and easy to hit target.

Perhaps the EPA is trying to force a similar regulation across the board under federal auspices, and is starting with the DOD and excessed mlitary vehicles? Granted, considering the relatively small number of these trucks, and their very limited overall impact on the environment, it's a pretty ridiculous idea. But since when has anything the EPA has done actually made sense from anything but a purely bureaucratic perspective?
I was unaware of this but researched it a little further. Since this is where we maybe heading with our MV's the California law has an interesting exemption which I would think MV's registered Antique would qualify.
Please Mods, be gentle..This could be very relevant down the road depending on the outcome of this.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/tb/motorhome.htm

SEAFIRE

Texas DRMO yards that sell to govt agencies only appear to still have a full slate of MV's for sale on their website. I might call tomorrow to make sure.

SEAFIRE

Texas DRMO yards that sell to govt agencies only appear to still have a full slate of MV's for sale on their website. I might call tomorrow to make sure.
Called DRMO and the Texas Forest Service today:
DRMO can sell the trucks on the lot, but no more, even the LMTV's, etc are on the "list"

Texas Forest Service rep said they have no official announcement yet.
VFD's with trucks that are on "loan" from the Federal Forest Service may be in limbo, I hope they don't come down and pull these trucks from the VFD's.
Anyone who is a Firefighter needs to write there Senator, Congressman, etc, even at the state level....

Terrh

I was unaware of this but researched it a little further. Since this is where we maybe heading with our MV's the California law has an interesting exemption which I would think MV's registered Antique would qualify.
Please Mods, be gentle..This could be very relevant down the road depending on the outcome of this.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/tb/motorhome.htm

I can't find the original post you quoted - but I did some more digging on this as well. I thought this regulation applied soley to heavy duty trucks but it appears to apply medium duty and even some light duty trucks as well.

Here's a bit more information on the subject. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf.

Kinda blows my mind how much upgrading they're demanding everyone to do.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the words "likely" and "may" need to be banned from this post unless from official sources.
Very good point.

Work the issue, not the emotion. Stay on point and leave out the rhetoric that tends to lock the thread.
The thread is one more view of mine away from being locked back down again. It's really simple, if you have credible meaningful information, please share. If you only have "I'm waiting to hear from...." or "my ______ state's laws are stupid" don't bother.

two.fiveM35

This is a repost from Senator Jim Inhofe's Facebook page. It doesn't help us but it is a move in the right direction.9 mins ·
I applaud the Department of Defense (DOD) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for coming to an agreement on a 25-year-old rule that the DOD recently decided to start enforcing to the detriment of a program supporting Oklahoma’s local fire departments and their ability to fight wildfires. This quick resolution would not have been possible without the rapid criticism from many Members of Congress and the coordinated effort with Governor Fallin’s office. Today the agencies decided to extend the national security exemption for this vital program on the grounds that the vehicles' titles remain under DOD after being repurposed in order to ensure the vehicles are eventually destroyed. This new agreement will create more red tape for our local fire departments by requiring the roughly 17,000 pieces of surplus equipment around the state to now be tracked and returned once they are no longer in use. This is the best short term answer to maintain the program with the DOD, and I will be working with my colleagues to address the unnecessary regulation created by the agreement. Since Thursday, I have been in contact with both agencies about this issue and I appreciate their responsiveness to my staff and me on the urgent matter. http://newsok.com/article/4987107

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well this bodes well for the emergency services that require this hardware, but it does sound a bit ominous for the future.

Today the agencies decided to extend the national security exemption for this vital program on the grounds that the vehicles' titles remain under DOD after being repurposed in order to ensure the vehicles are eventually destroyed.
Hopefully at worse that means that vehicles would come engineless. But if it's a total demil, that's troublesome.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, please read through the thread, if it's already been said, there's no need to repeat. Also if your intel comes from "Well Bobby over at XYZ said that he was told ________ " that's more speculation. Please cite sources if you have confirmed information.

61sleepercab

I have received a reply from the Charleston, West Virginia local office of Senator Jay Rockefeller concerning my inquiry about the withdraw of heavy surplus trucks and generator sets from the Govliquidation public auction. The EPA has requested that the Defense Logistic Agency no longer offer for sale vehicles that do not meet environmental regulations TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC but will allow non private use under the prior National Security Exception to the EPA requirements. The EPA and the DLA have recently just agreed to allow fire department and law enforcement use of surplus vehicles with a required vehicle turn in and the legal title remaining with the DOD for equipment that does not meet current EPA regulations............. In summary CURRENTLY THE DLA AND THE EPA WILL NO LONGER ALLOW PRIVATE OWNERSHIP OF SURPLUS VEHICLES AND GENERATOR SETS ( AND PROBABLY ANY OTHER DIESEL POWERED UNITS) THAT DOES NOT MEET CURRENT EPA EMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS.........Unless sane coordinated action is taken by the military vehicle collector community, and other users of surplus trucks and diesel equipment, such as community service groups, youth organizations, farmers, and ranchers , We will no longer be able to purchase and own military surplus diesel powered vehicles and equipment. I would suggest that an organized effort be made using positive information and tactics to overturn the denial of valuable trucks and equipment for lawful purposes from the public. Yours truly, Mark G. Sergent military vehicle and generator owner, WV State Bar #3337

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks