• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 2006 Humvee M1097R1 - Need Help

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After cleaning up the inside of my 1097R1, I finally found a plate that shows the correct manuals, and it does appear that I should be treating mine as an A1. It seems someone tore the plate off somehow during use, and it was in the floor under a lot of junk and trash. It looks like my unit sat from early 2019 until I bought it at auction in late 2022, so it just sat unused and open without doors for at least 3 years.

It looks rough, but mechanically, it seems to be in great shape. The main problem with mine was there was no power steering. The gear box was flowing fluid like an open flood gate, so I'm assuming that and the overall rough shape of it sent it to the auction. After putting batteries in it and rebuilding the steering gear box, it seems to run and drive great. It needs a lot of small details, but nothing major. Once I get everything right on it, I will work on it cosmetically and add a paint job. While the two-door soft top doesn't leak, it's old and not in great shape and will need to be replaced and I had to find two good front doors for it.

As a side note, the oil looks like brand new in my engine. Usually even after changing oil in a diesel, the oil will be black very quickly. Not mine, it is still amber colored and must have been changed right before it was sent to auction. I don't think this motor has but a few thousand miles on it to be honest. I don't really understand all of the A and R designations, but does R1 indicate a "rebuild" maybe? Maybe my motor is new as it has no leaks or drips on it anywhere and that oil still looks brand new in it, although I haven't driven it much yet. I was going to do an oil change and probably still will, but the oil is like new in it. The odometer shows around 2300 miles and it works.

I noticed one of my plates says the truck is a "heavy variant." Can someone tell me what that means?

UPDATE: After reading some more, I guess the heavy variant means it has a beefed-up suspension to carry more weight. If there is something else in addition to that, please let me know.
Evidently the R1 designation is given to A1 vehicles that have been rebuilt, Unlike the A2 vehicles which get rebuilt with A2 parts thus keeping the A2 designation the A1 received the 6.5L and the NP242 transfer case (because the 6.2L and NP218 were no longer in production) this would give everyone an instant heads up that it was not all standard A1 components.
EDIT, too bad they did not go ahead and update to a serpentine belt, I smile every time I think about not having to deal with V belts anymore on my personal Humvees

Last edited:

INFChief

After cleaning up the inside of my 1097R1, I finally found a plate that shows the correct manuals, and it does appear that I should be treating mine as an A1. It seems someone tore the plate off somehow during use, and it was in the floor under a lot of junk and trash. It looks like my unit sat from early 2019 until I bought it at auction in late 2022, so it just sat unused and open without doors for at least 3 years.

It looks rough, but mechanically, it seems to be in great shape. The main problem with mine was there was no power steering. The gear box was flowing fluid like an open flood gate, so I'm assuming that and the overall rough shape of it sent it to the auction. After putting batteries in it and rebuilding the steering gear box, it seems to run and drive great. It needs a lot of small details, but nothing major. Once I get everything right on it, I will work on it cosmetically and add a paint job. While the two-door soft top doesn't leak, it's old and not in great shape and will need to be replaced and I had to find two good front doors for it.

As a side note, the oil looks like brand new in my engine. Usually even after changing oil in a diesel, the oil will be black very quickly. Not mine, it is still amber colored and must have been changed right before it was sent to auction. I don't think this motor has but a few thousand miles on it to be honest. I don't really understand all of the A and R designations, but does R1 indicate a "rebuild" maybe? Maybe my motor is new as it has no leaks or drips on it anywhere and that oil still looks brand new in it, although I haven't driven it much yet. I was going to do an oil change and probably still will, but the oil is like new in it. The odometer shows around 2300 miles and it works.

I noticed one of my plates says the truck is a "heavy variant." Can someone tell me what that means?

UPDATE: After reading some more, I guess the heavy variant means it has a beefed-up suspension to carry more weight. If there is something else in addition to that, please let me know.
We need to exchange notes!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently previewed over 100 m1097's from Red River and it is a truly a salad bowl of what you will get I saw R1, A2 etc. Most appear to have been turned in and just sat. Not heavily cannibalized like USMC units. Most even had almost complete sets of BII. Will be interesting if all the goodies I saw will go with the trucks or ..........
And I believe just the tip of a massive flood of Army units to come. They will do them in waves according to model if the past holds true like the M939 series. And we have not really seen many Air force units yet....

mccullek

Evidently the R1 designation is given to A1 vehicles that have been rebuilt, Unlike the A2 vehicles which get rebuilt with A2 parts thus keeping the A2 designation the A1 received the 6.5L and the NP242 transfer case (because the 6.2L and NP218 were no longer in production) this would give everyone an instant heads up that it was not all standard A1 components.
EDIT, too bad they did not go ahead and update to a serpentine belt, I smile every time I think about not having to deal with V belts anymore on my personal Humvees
Yep, mine has three large belts to the generator and one smaller belt that runs only the power steering I believe. I assumed maybe they used three belts so if one broke, you would have backups and enough to keep it generating power, but that might not be the case at all, so I could be wrong on that.

INFChief

So I was looking back over some other pages, and saw where the serial numbers for M1097R1 are broken down to what transmission they have.

Your serial number is outside of the ranges listed on that page, so you will need to verify if it is actually a 4 speed or if it's a 3 speed transmission.
If it IS a 3 speed, treat it like an M1097A1 for parts instead of the M1097A2. The UOC will also be different (can be found a little after the table of contents in the parts manual)
The manuals are all still the same.

If your unit has the M1097R1 HMMWV, NSN 2320-01-346-9317, with a retrofitted engine, check the serial number before ordering a new transmission for the vehicle.

• M1097R1 HMMWVs with serial numbers between 500000 and 549000 require the 3L80 transmission
  • Those with serial numbers between 570000 and 599000 need the 4L80E/4L85E transmission.
How about M1097R1’s with a serial # outside the ranges in the PS Magazine? My serial # is 606560.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, mine has three large belts to the generator and one smaller belt that runs only the power steering I believe. I assumed maybe they used three belts so if one broke, you would have backups and enough to keep it generating power, but that might not be the case at all, so I could be wrong on that.
It takes all three belts to drive that 200A alternator and then the fan kicks on....... ;)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about M1097R1’s with a serial # outside the ranges in the PS Magazine? My serial # is 606560.
I forgot that some had 4 speeds, it would be interesting to find out if they started out as A1s or A2s, possibly the 3 speed became no longer available and they upgraded the A1s to 4 speed?
Do the 4 speed R1s have V belts?
What gear ratio diffs do the 4 speed R1s have??
None of the ones I have looked at in Texas have 4 speeds, by no means I am saying there are none as I have not looked at all of them.
Unfortunately the R1 serial numbers do not appear to reflect what serial number the truck started with.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently previewed over 100 m1097's from Red River and it is a truly a salad bowl of what you will get I saw R1, A2 etc. Most appear to have been turned in and just sat. Not heavily cannibalized like USMC units. Most even had almost complete sets of BII. Will be interesting if all the goodies I saw will go with the trucks or ..........
And I believe just the tip of a massive flood of Army units to come. They will do them in waves according to model if the past holds true like the M939 series. And we have not really seen many Air force units yet....
I bought one from the Air Force in San Antonio, it was green and had an Army number inside the kick panels. It did however have all the fluids drained in true AF fashion.
It was being used by a group of Apache and Chinook pilots, reservists serving under an active CO using active helicopters that would do search and rescue missions all over the globe.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M1097R1 with SN 604783. Came out of Springtown, TX. 6.5NA 3 Speed with the NP242 transfer case. Just finished the restoration on it and it's for sale now...Kind of sad to sell, but I just picked up a M1097A2 out of Hooks. Helmet top with a unique AC unit built into the side. I'll post pics of both.
For my R1, I used mostly A1 manuals/schematics but you should be able to tell once you dig into it if you on the right manual or not. FINISHED 4.jpgM1097A2-3.jpg

mccullek

I have a M1097R1 with SN 604783. Came out of Springtown, TX. 6.5NA 3 Speed with the NP242 transfer case. Just finished the restoration on it and it's for sale now...Kind of sad to sell, but I just picked up a M1097A2 out of Hooks. Helmet top with a unique AC unit built into the side. I'll post pics of both.
For my R1, I used mostly A1 manuals/schematics but you should be able to tell once you dig into it if you on the right manual or not. View attachment 889054View attachment 889055
My serial number is in the 600000 range as well and I also have the 3 speed transmission.
For my R1, I used mostly A1 manuals/schematics but you should be able to tell once you dig into it if you on the right manual or not. View attachment 889054View attachment 889055
My serial number is 602733, and I never seem to find anything talking about the 1097R1 with serial numbers in the 600s. Nice job on your refurb, hope mine looks that good in the near future. Just curious what you are asking for yours if you don't mind saying? I might try and find me another one with the 4-speed transmission when I am done with this one. If so, I will sell this one first most likely.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My serial number is in the 600000 range as well and I also have the 3 speed transmission.

My serial number is 602733, and I never seem to find anything talking about the 1097R1 with serial numbers in the 600s. Nice job on your refurb, hope mine looks that good in the near future. Just curious what you are asking for yours if you don't mind saying? I might try and find me another one with the 4-speed transmission when I am done with this one. If so, I will sell this one first most likely.
Asking $30k. Lots of new parts. Lizzard Skin sound proofing new top and curtain, raptor lined in and out20230116_142149.jpg20230116_142216.jpg.etc.

mccullek

mccullek

INFChief

Looks great! Thanks for the extra pictures.

For anyone interested, I found this link on the R1 designation, although I know my recap did not include the 4-speed transmission. Wondering why many weren't upgraded to the 4-speed transmission now?

U.S. Army Weapon Systems Handbook 2012 (fas.org)
I’ve read that - the 4 speed transmission grabbed my attention. But it seems not all R1’s got the 4 spd.

Gastrap

mccullek

This is correct. I have 3 in that range with the 3 speed. It's like the DoD does what ever it wants without logic. Crazy! :p
This is just a guess, but if the transmission and transfer case were low mileage and in good shape, they probably didn’t change them out. I know there is no way to know for sure about mileage, but my unit has less than 3000 miles and the motor reflects that too I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks