• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 2006 Humvee M1097R1 - Need Help

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like your interior, nice pictures. Did the tan interior come from the factory or was it green and you/ someone else did re-paint it?
I am thinking to do it on one of mine :)
Thanks. It was desert tan CARC painted by a 3 year old at the depot when I got it. I sanded it down, primed bare spots and did the lizard coating first then applied the raptor Liner on top of it. Turned put nice! Did it in my driveway. Not perfect, but pretty damn nice...everyone comments in person that they like the paint job.

Ranchtruck

Most everyone that has an R1 variant seems to have a 3 speed, including myself. I was hesitant to bid on my R1 but I got lucky and have a solid HMMWV. I got it cheap compared to what most running ones are going for now. It needed some obvious parts and some TLC but it is in good overall shape as far as the drivetrain.

So far I had to install new batteries , headlights, rebuild power steering box, replace fuel guage and TDM. Seems to be in good working order now.

I have a 2 man to 4 man conversion and top and new door skins coming soon. Will paint it first, then install new top and doors and it should be a nice HMMWV.
Where did you order door skins from? Mine are really faded.
You mentioned installing new batteries, I have a quick story on the ones I got with mine. The 2 Armasafe batteries were dead, I pulled them out and checked them with a multimeter they read 0 vdc. The charger wouldn’t even start charging when I hooked either one up. I grabbed an extra 12v battery I had and hooked the charger up to that one then with jumper cables hooked up parallel to one of the Armasafe ones and began to charge. The next day I was able to hook straight to the armasafe and give it a full charge. Took a couple days to get them both 100% and haven’t had any issues after that. Was really glad it worked, definitely didn’t want to spend several hundred on new batteries!

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent! What kind of battery charger did you use? I tried the same with mine but both ended up having shorted cells so in the end I had to replace them.

mccullek

Cheap walmart charger. Really surprised it worked.
Mine came with two of those armasafes as well, but I didn’t even attempt to charge them. The batteries were clean and looked new although the dates said they were about 7 yrs old, so I didn’t even think about trying to restore them.

I still have them, so I may try and check the fluids and see if they might take a charge. Maybe I will get lucky too? As expensive as batteries are today, it’s worth a shot I guess.

I ordered my set of door skins from William Welch. He makes soft tops and soft door skins. You can find him on Facebook.

Ranchtruck

Mine came with two of those armasafes as well, but I didn’t even attempt to charge them. The batteries were clean and looked new although the dates said they were about 7 yrs old, so I didn’t even think about trying to restore them.

I still have them, so I may try and check the fluids and see if they might take a charge. Maybe I will get lucky too? As expensive as batteries are today, it’s worth a shot I guess.

I ordered my set of door skins from William Welch. He makes soft tops and soft door skins. You can find him on Facebook.
Thanks, I’ll look him up.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I got my top and curtain from William Welch at Blue Ox Tops as well...worth every penny! Highly recommend him for your top and door skins.

M1097R1Rak

I have a M1097R1 with SN 604783. Came out of Springtown, TX. 6.5NA 3 Speed with the NP242 transfer case. Just finished the restoration on it and it's for sale now...Kind of sad to sell, but I just picked up a M1097A2 out of Hooks. Helmet top with a unique AC unit built into the side. I'll post pics of both.
For my R1, I used mostly A1 manuals/schematics but you should be able to tell once you dig into it if you on the right manual or not. View attachment 889054View attachment 889055
I have same truck. Won't start. What to do?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have same truck. Won't start. What to do?
"won't start" isn't much of a description of what's going on.

You will receive better help if you do a couple of things

1) start your own thread. Every thread on here is supposed to be related to a single thing. Jumping into a thread about someone else's truck with a problem not related to the thread (in this case your truck not starting has nothing to do with their truck not starting)

2) try to be detailed about the issue. "won't start" is an extremely broad subject, and could be literally dozens of different things. Without knowing things like "it cranks over, it doesn't crank over, makes smoke, no smoke, starter won't turn, batteries not even in the vehicle, etc" There are just so many possibilities.

Starting a new thread lets everyone in the thread focus on YOUR truck, so nobody gets confused about what advice is aimed at what person, and the issues could be completely unrelated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks