• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 2006 Humvee M1097R1 - Need Help

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, the condition of the truck being recapitalized dictated how much was done to it and the budget allocated to the facility doing the work. As I stated earlier in this thread, I previewed 100 + of these and nothing was cookie cutter the same with all of them. The most consistent thing I noticed all trucks got airlift bumpers, 12 bolt rims with radials ( no bias or 8 bolt anywhere) , bucket seats, and most had loose in the bed, the under hood jack stowage plate and box cover ( not sure if they were removed or going to be installed)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just a guess, but if the transmission and transfer case were low mileage and in good shape, they probably didn’t change them out. I know there is no way to know for sure about mileage, but my unit has less than 3000 miles and the motor reflects that too I think.
Hard to say on that one. I have one R1 in that serial range that has 68,xxx miles on it but who's to say that's not original miles before reset or even the original gauge.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading through, it looks like there were multiple levels of reset, and starting with different models of truck to turn them into heavy variants.
Could just be the first sets were only brought up to being heavy variant, then they did another run and brought them up to heavy A2 version, then the third set (or maybe the rest of the first set) got done again as just heavy and not A2 upgrade.

INFChief

The recapitalization effort was budgeted based on vehicle data & usage reports routinely sent in. IMHO - Therefore, I don’t think there was a decision made at the recap site (or Depot) whether or not to spend money or what to spend that money on since funding had already been allocated & committed. It would make more sense to install a new / rebuilt engine & drivetrain with what was on hand & based on availability of any engine / trans that’s what was installed. As far as the suspension, etc., for the “Heavy Variant” designator, I would believe all recap HMMWV’s got increased payload components without any issue. But opinions are like boogers….

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was tan CARC I repainted in tan Raptor lining. It was easy in my opinion and I did it in my driveway.
Wow, it looks very good for raptor lining! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like the doghouse and seat base were left in CARC? (the surface looks smoother?) Or it's all raptor lining?

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, it looks very good for raptor lining! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like the doghouse and seat base were left in CARC? (the surface looks smoother?) Or it's all raptor lining?
The doghouse is Raptor lined as well. The tub and tunnel are lined with lizard skin sound and ceramic heat shield then Raptor lining on top of that. Really helps with road noise. The new insulated soft top help with sound more than I thought it would.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have it posted in the classifieds on this site if you want to check it out

mccullek

I have the 6.5L. All my paperwork on it says 6.5L as well. I believe all of the R1 were upgraded to the 6.5 when they upgraded them to the heavy variant. The 6.2 motor wasn’t robust enough for the heavy trucks.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 6.5L. All my paperwork on it says 6.5L as well. I believe all of the R1 were upgraded to the 6.5 when they upgraded them to the heavy variant. The 6.2 motor wasn’t robust enough for the heavy trucks.
It probably wasn't that the 6.2 wasn't robust enough, but that they had already phased out the 6.2 and everything was getting the 6.5 as a replacement.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a Lubrication Order for the M1097R1 other than LO-9-2320-280-12?
There shouldn't be.
For all intents and purposes, the M1097R1 series trucks are all standard HMMWVs of other variants that got upgraded for extra weight capacity. There really isn't anything special about them whatsoever, other than not following the standard serial numbers of the regular series.

Ranchtruck

I have a M1097R1 with SN 604783. Came out of Springtown, TX. 6.5NA 3 Speed with the NP242 transfer case. Just finished the restoration on it and it's for sale now...Kind of sad to sell, but I just picked up a M1097A2 out of Hooks. Helmet top with a unique AC unit built into the side. I'll post pics of both.
For my R1, I used mostly A1 manuals/schematics but you should be able to tell once you dig into it if you on the right manual or not. View attachment 889054View attachment 889055
My serial number is in the 600000 range as well and I also have the 3 speed transmission.

My serial number is 602733, and I never seem to find anything talking about the 1097R1 with serial numbers in the 600s. Nice job on your refurb, hope mine looks that good in the near future. Just curious what you are asking for yours if you don't mind saying? I might try and find me another one with the 4-speed transmission when I am done with this one. If so, I will sell this one first most likely.
Hi, you mentioned you have both the 3 and 4 speed, is there a quick way to identify the 3 vs the 4? I just purchased a 1097R1 s/n 610288 and around 40mph the rpm's are really high and intermittently it sounds like the fan kicks on and off as I give it more gas then let off on the pedal. I can hear it shift into 2nd and 3rd then the rpm's just climb till it's screaming at about 45mph. My shifter doesn't show an overdrive just R, N, D, 2, 1 so I,m assuming it's a 3 speed. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Reactions: OBX

mccullek

I guess it’s a 3 then, Thank you.
Most everyone that has an R1 variant seems to have a 3 speed, including myself. I was hesitant to bid on my R1 but I got lucky and have a solid HMMWV. I got it cheap compared to what most running ones are going for now. It needed some obvious parts and some TLC but it is in good overall shape as far as the drivetrain.

So far I had to install new batteries , headlights, rebuild power steering box, replace fuel guage and TDM. Seems to be in good working order now.

I have a 2 man to 4 man conversion and top and new door skins coming soon. Will paint it first, then install new top and doors and it should be a nice HMMWV.

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most everyone that has an R1 variant seems to have a 3 speed, including myself. I was hesitant to bid on my R1 but I got lucky and have a solid HMMWV. I got it cheap compared to what most running ones are going for now. It needed some obvious parts and some TLC but it is in good overall shape as far as the drivetrain.

So far I had to install new batteries , headlights, rebuild power steering box, replace fuel guage and TDM. Seems to be in good working order now.

I have a 2 man to 4 man conversion and top and new door skins coming soon. Will paint it first, then install new top and doors and it should be a nice HMMWV.
Keep us up to date on what you're doing to it! I like my R1. I drive it everywhere except the interstate...I was lucky to get my 1097A2 cheap. Bought it as a non runner. But it had air conditioning so i was intrigued. Missing radiator. I took the belt off and put good batteries in it just to see if she would turn over. YUP! And she fired right up! Replaced the radiator, rebuilt steering gear box, replaced belt and hoses. Oil change and fresh fuel. She's not perfect yet but she shifts smooth and the engine runs nice. Good bones to work with! Kinda hate to sell the R1, but I got plans for the A2 that I need money for, so gotta sell it. **or sell the A2 and do more stuff to the R1?? So many choices!! Help!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks