• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding MY m101a2 BY harleyhouse

michigan4x4

Thanks Harley... I appreciate it. I am going to do my trailer the same way this summer. I am not into the MV shows and such. I bought my trailer to be a serviceable hunting trailer. What you have done looks like it would work perfect!!

Sorry for the dumb question but is the parts just called a "trailer adjustable tongue channel" or what?

Thanks

hwcurtice

I like the idea of an adjustable hitch, but I'd like to keep the lunette.

I don't really need the surge brakes, so that isn't an issue. Just need to find the right axle to replace it, and keep the same bolt pattern.

That tongue stand has to go too. I'd rather have one with a wheel. Why did you choose the flat stand?

mmm so much to work over on mine...

harleyhouse

You can get a lunette for the adjustable channel too.
I have one that I use sometimes.

The original axle is stout. If you need the 8 x 6.5 gm bolt pattern just remove the brake system and keep it. they sell adapters to match other bolt patterns.

The jack is one I had laying around for another trailer project. It works well but is a shy short.
I may get a taller one or add a wheel.

Pictured is my lunette, and stripped axle. The 1/4" spacer is to make up the drum thickness.

Attachments

Last edited:

michigan4x4

Mark... Last couple questions I promise!!

#1 Did you buy all your necessary trailer tongue components from R&P carriages? (Lunette, Channel and 2in ball) I am going to be emailing them as I dont have an Ebay account yet..

#2 When you painted your frame and box did you simply power wash the crud off as you stated, and paint over the original CARC with primer/paint? Did you do any other prep? Any problems with the paint sticking, peeling, chipping?

Just wondering if I am going to have to sand blast then entire frame and then paint, or if I can "scuff" the CARC and paint over it with satin black Chassis Saver?

Thanks again for all the photos, explanation and inspiration.
Jeff

harleyhouse

The channel came from RandP
The 2" ball mount came from a seller that had one. RandP should have one to work too.
they also have a short lunette. Mine was a fluke item on ebay. I think it was titled 3" extended lunette. Send a picture to randy and see if he can get them.

My frame was not peeling just filthy. Take the tub off and go to the local quarter car wash.
Blast the crap out of it and use high pressure soap too." Breaks the surface tension of dirt"
when you think it is clean wash it again.

Take the frame home " air dry on the drive home " let it sit for a couple HOT days to dry.
then scuff any rough stuff off and spot prime any rust. I used 6 cans of gloss black ACE hardware spray paint. I shot all the frame twice and let it dry for a couple days.

Wire the lights with the tub off " so much easier and you can do it from the top.
Hope this helps, Good luck and post pictures.
MarK

michigan4x4

Ok.. I looked for hours and could not find the Extended Lunette ring. BUT, at the last minute I came across the manufacture of the Lunette ring by looking at another photo of Mark's that was posted on another site.

here it is.

Croft Lunette.JPG

The extended lunette ring is made by a company named "Croft"

So if anyone is looking to copy Mr. Harley's design, google "Croft trailer supply" and you will fin the lunette ring, adjustable coupler channel, and a few pricey 2 inch adjustable ball couplers.

Hope this helps anyone looking to mod their trailer like Mark's.

Mark, correct me if I am wrong, But I do believe the "Croft" extended Lunette in the photo has a considerably smaller inner diameter (2.5 inches) and ring thickness ( 1.25 inches) than the standard M101 Lunette ring. My M101a2 isn't here right now or I would measure, but I think it may have a 3 inch inner diameter AND a thicker ring in the stock configuration. This may matter to some people that use a heavy pintle hook. I like the idea of the extended eye... I ordered the stuff today.

Thanks
Jeff

harleyhouse

New water tank installed.
I bought a 30 gallon RV tank off the bay and a HF 12 volt pump.
I welded up a cradle to house the tank and pump as a unit
" remove when I need to haul stuff" anf the hose bib mounted on the side
is supplied by a stainless steel braided faucet supply line.

The ball valve hose bib is mounted secure to the side of the tub.
Just finished the work and ready to test.

I was looking for clamps to hold a shovel and came across Quick Fist clamps.
They mount easy and hold tight. I found them at
Sutton Outfitters

I am happy with the product and will buy more to hold gear in the trailer.

Attachments

llong66

Great job and attention to detail! Could you post some information about your water heater please? I am interested in doing something like this myself for camping or bugout use. Keep up the good work!

harleyhouse

I bought a Triton propane heater from ebay
Camp Chef HWD5 Hot Water Heater / Portable Shower - hwd5cc

Fully adjustable heat and water flow. Adjustable shower Head. 72-inches shower hose.13500 BTU per gas side burnerIncludes hose and regulator for 20-pound bulk propane tank (not included). Automatically ignites when water is turned on. Hang with brackets (included) or use free-standing base.

I plan on making a pull out kitchen for the rear of the trailer.

Attachments

hwcurtice

How about those buying MV's from auction just to scrap them for profit? Jim
That an entirely different matter. A sadder tale for these, of course.

My own trailer, needs mods just to be useful by me. As it sits, it isn't very handy. So modifying is the only way to go. They just don't make these things custom enough for regular people!

But they do leave them with plenty of options for change.

Cleptomaniac

Looks great!! I have thought about a top fo mine. Something I could use for a portable hunting blind. Would be nice to have a blind on wheels!!

michigan4x4

I couldnt agree more. Jim

I agree as well. I am not interested in Parades, car shows etc. I am also not a collector of MVs. I am interested in utility, plain and simple. Hauling, camping, off road etc. Fact of the matter is this.. People that complain about modding MVs usually are the ones that store their MVs in Heated pole barns all year only to take them out for parades and vehicle shows. As far as I am concerned, I am "USING" the MV for "more" of its intended purpose. These vehicles/trailers were never intended to be used for parades, they were intended for utility and to aid our tropps in times of war.

Lastly, if anyone is concerned about all the (fill in the blank) being gone someday, then take your hard earned money, buy them all from GL and save them from the modders that actually use them.

just my $0.02
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks