• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RED diesel fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a recent addition to the motor pool (CUCV) I found this fuel pumped out of the bleeder valve. It is red in color. Is this diesel fuel? Is it safe for a CUCV?

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are looking at Off-road diesel. It is the same as regular diesel but is dyed red to show that no road taxes were paid. Be careful - burning that stuff can be expensive if you get caught!

OL AG '89

That is DYED diesel......
OFF ROAD USE ONLY!!!!!
In Texas if the DPS dip your tank and find it, ITS A HUGE FINE!!!!
Use it in your tractor or diesel generator
IF you have the CUCV registered with the state DO NOT DRIVE on public roads.....
You may never get stopped, but if the police are having a bad day they might just dip the tank....

pat038536

Ye, best hope and pray it isn't dyed diesel.. serious penalties ($$) for using dyed diesel in road vehicles. IRS considers it 'tax evasion' for using dyed diesel in a road vehicle.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Depending on how much was in your tank you might run several tanks of regular taxed diesel and still have enough residue in there to show up on a test.

Unless you are where they dip tanks regularly (construction sites, livestock sales barns, DOT inspections sites) you will prob be ok.....just keep running taxed fuel in it until you get all the dye out of it.

Dumping in some used motor oil will hide dye from a visual inspection but if the dye is floresent and they hit it with a black light you are busted.:oops:

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all. Never used off road diesel before so didn’t know it was died red. Two tanks full but I have enough yard trucks to use it in.

Cucvnut

I can buy some at a station out side of Salinas Ca I might get some for the next time i go to Pismo. Would it be safe to run it in my M1008 ?

bratpackdad

I can only speak for California. Should you be stopped by the CHP and the Officer is assigned to the commercial enforcement division; you will most likely have your tank "dipped."

Also, if you are involved in a major injury traffic collision. Your vehicle will be inspected at the scene.
Part of that inspection will be a "dip' of your fuel tank.

In California, Off-Road fuel or "Red Dye" diesel in the tank of your on-road vehicle is the same as tax evasion.
2cents

David Sims

GA Fines

WM is right. Depending on where you are the fine can be $1,000 and $100 per gallon in the tank.
I was told recently that the Georgia fines are $1,000 for every gallon of fuel capacity that you have in your vehicle tank and at your home or business.

In other words get caught burning red dyed fuel on the road; 37 gallon capacity tank = 37K fine. A quick check of the farm would show say for example a 100 gallon tank = 100K fine. There are cases of people loosing farms over this in Ga.

I'll just pay the tax.

DokWatson

I can buy some at a station out side of Salinas Ca I might get some for the next time i go to Pismo. Would it be safe to run it in my M1008 ?
Its just diesel. Fuels certified for being used in road vehicles are taxed. Heating oil, red diesel, etc...is all diesel but certified and taxed differently. I wouldn't go anywhere near red diesel in a vehicle that sees any on road use, it will linger...and I'm sure you know Murphy. He always shows up.

Last edited:

rhinob

Question. I noticed my fuel looks pinkish when I run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil through a full tank of diesel on my M1009. What happens when they dip the tank and find MMO-dyed diesel? I just carry the empty with me whenever I do it. Not more than once per oil change.

Personally, I won't sweat it, especially since I can prove I use it in the fuel. I use MMO in all my diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks