• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RED diesel fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how would they know i put it in my tank if i put it in a can first >?
Because it's dyed red. It doesn't matter what you put it in out of the pump. If it ends up in a on-road vehicle you are breaking the law.

In TN you can get fined even running it off-road if it is a taged vehicle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question. I noticed my fuel looks pinkish when I run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil through a full tank of diesel on my M1009. What happens when they dip the tank and find MMO-dyed diesel? I just carry the empty with me whenever I do it. Not more than once per oil change.

Personally, I won't sweat it, especially since I can prove I use it in the fuel. I use MMO in all my diesels.
I asked a officer this very question one time. He said if he pulls up any red at all you are going to get a ticket. It will be up to you to prove in court that you weren't running dyed fuel.

Heavysteven

Dito, it's offroad fuel (red dye). Simplely put it's ilegal to use on the highway.

Just my thoughts, but just because you can get away with something does not make legal. Plus this is a public forum and does not reflect well on the hobby.

ODdave

chevyc60, you just bought the truck right? I wouldnt go pulling the tank and flushing the whole system. you just bought it and drive it. Keep your fuel reciptes and if you get dipped explain that the dye had to be there from the po. Just dont put more in and your not in the wrong. IIRC $1000 per gallon is way the he11 off. 100 is closer.

dstang97

When is the last time someone or you have been stopped and they dipped your tank?

Also IIRC you can run it legally you just have to record the gallons and pay taxes on it. There is a form you can get

dozer1

Just run offroad untill the red fuel is used up :-D Seriously, if you are concerned about getting fined for it, siphon out
what you can and fill it with over the road fuel. The lil dab that is left in there , I personally would'nt loose any sleep over
it2cents

Last edited:

KsM715

Just run offroad untill the red fuel is used up :-D Seriously, if you are concerned about getting fined for it, siphon out
what you can and fill it with over the road fuel. The lil dab that is left in there , I personally would loose any sleep over
it2cents
With the all the states going into the red, A.K.A. bankrupt, if I found that in my tank Id get the tank cleaned, change fuel filters and flush the system several times over. Getting caught and then trying to prove it was all by accident would not be cheap.

jwaller

the fuel companies are starting to put florescent dye in the fuel now, bc you can blend out the red but a lot of them use the florescent dye so that when the LEO uses a black light he can still see the dye.

A

A/C Cages

Wana screw with their minds? Add some blue food coloring into it and make the red and blue into purple. That will confuse them. lol

OL AG '89

Texas passed a "new" law or started enforcing an old one about the "off road only" fuel and it is getting harder to find. Apparently the "new" twist is that you purchase on-road diesel and then file to get taxes returned quarterly or yearly. I don't use enough in the tractor at this time to bother with several hours of paperwork to get taxes back..... Gooberment wins again!!!!aua

I wouldn't be so paranoid about changing fuel filters, but would certainly drain tank and refill if you are nervous about getting stopped. I run the GMC 3500 with a 50 gal drag-up tank and have never questioned when slowed by LEO.... But also not doing ANYTHING ILLEGAL with regards to fuel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When is the last time someone or you have been stopped and they dipped your tank?
I was coming back from Redstone (near Huntsville, AL) a while back in my deuce. I was wearing ACU's and didn't have my AL tag displayed. I stopped at a convienence store with diesel pumps across the road from a livestock sales barn.

I was putting some regular diesel in the deuce but there was a lot of other "alternative fuel" in there including WMO and Veggie.

I saw two state DOT vehicles with several officers in the parking lot of the barn and they were dipping the tanks of any truck that had an
auxillery tank in the bed.

One of the trucks came across the road and pulled up near the deuce. Two officers got out and I thought I was going to get the dip treatment but the guy just walked by and said "Hello Sergeant" and went into the store. I went in to pay for my fuel and he was checking the list the store kept of people that bought off road fuel. (When you buy off road fuel here most places make you sign a sheet that tells how much you bought). He was writing down the names of anyone that had bought more than 100 gallons a month.

I am thinking with the cost of fuel going up and tax revenue going down a lot of state agencies are going to crack down in an attempt to make up some of the shortfall.

The savings prob don't outweigh the risk.

A

A/C Cages

We have a fuel delivery truck who goes from jobsite to jobsite refilling tractors ,excavators, dozers ,ect ect.
What you see tagging along behind them are DOT trucks watching them like hawks. If they spill, dribble, or put the wrong thing in the wrong hole they bust them.
Do the fines that they incure in a days time even pay for the 2 officers, truck, fuel, ect that the DOT uses following the refuler trucks?
Sounds like they are spending thousands to fine someone a couple hundred bucks here and there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you add about 1 pound of Portland Cement for each gallon of RED DIESEL in you tank ALL your problems will go away. (WARNING: Do NOT try this at home)

OK - so I was only kidding

I vote for a good tank flush, photographic evidence of the odometer and the cleaning process AND posting ALL that in this thread as DATE-STAMPED documentation of when and how you rectified the problem.

That way, if it ever does become a problem you have a trail for your defense.

IMHO - minimal investment for maximum alibi.

prairie

My M1008 came with a full tank of red dyed offroad diesel when it was picked up from the government lot. A couple of friends who are current and former military tell me that most military vehicles they drove, including CUCV's, usually burned offroad diesel.
I would just run the tank as low as possible for the next 4-5 tanks full to maximize dilution of the dyed fuel. If it really bothers you, siphon as much out as you can, and then refill with on road fuel to start the dilution process quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.