• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RED diesel fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do the fines that they incure in a days time even pay for the 2 officers, truck, fuel, ect that the DOT uses following the refuler trucks?
Sounds like they are spending thousands to fine someone a couple hundred bucks here and there.
You Sir are applying logic and common sense to the actions of government employees. The same lunatics that are holding the keys to the aslyum.

This is the same government that pays $2500.00 to ship a truck from Ohio to Alabama and then sells it for $2100.00

No chit, I was at Redstone when the truck (a deuce) was delivered and saw the shipping bill. I later bid on, and won it. I sold it to a guy from Ohio who had to come down here and drive it back. He called me later and told me the truck came from a Nat Guard unit a few miles down the road from his house. This is why our country has a 14 trillion dollar deficit.

Last edited:

jblack6527

Texas passed a "new" law or started enforcing an old one about the "off road only" fuel and it is getting harder to find. Apparently the "new" twist is that you purchase on-road diesel and then file to get taxes returned quarterly or yearly. I don't use enough in the tractor at this time to bother with several hours of paperwork to get taxes back..... Gooberment wins again!!!!aua

I wouldn't be so paranoid about changing fuel filters, but would certainly drain tank and refill if you are nervous about getting stopped. I run the GMC 3500 with a 50 gal drag-up tank and have never questioned when slowed by LEO.... But also not doing ANYTHING ILLEGAL with regards to fuel.
NC is doing something similar, at least with the Kerosene. You used to be able to buy the dyed stuff for cheaper than you could the K-1 clear, but now the only thing I can find is K-1, and it has a sticker on the pump that tells you what form to get to get a refund on your road tax paid...:-x

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To everybody advocating running dyed fuel- If you want to take the risk, go ahead and run it. It's not very wise to post your illegal activity in a public forum though.;-)

Flyingvan911

The JP-8 was clear. I would have had a nervous drive home it it was red. Or I would have had to fill a lot of 5 gallon gas cans to drain the tank and more to refill it.

markg

ive bought several bus's from a local school district over the years, they are always full of "off road fuel". i drive them home. never had a problem. im not concerned about it. thanks. mark

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good thing about all the advice on this site is that it is worth all that you pay for it.....although it could cost you a lot more. sw

jimmy-90

I've never put alot of thought into making my own bio diesel since bringing home hundreds of gallons of rotting grease would stink up my whole neighborhood but anyhow do you have to get a permit or anything to run waste oil in your truck since you would be driving up the street on something that you made yourself that no taxes were paid on?

rod

.....When you buy off road fuel here most places make you sign a sheet that tells how much you bought... He was writing down the names of anyone that had bought more than 100 gallons a month.
Wreckerman, we're only about 35 miles the way the crow flies from you and
I have never heard of this. We run "offroad" in 2 farm tractors, 2 mowers and the dozer. I have never had to sign anywhere when I buy the off road red stuff. My old truck carries a 100gal fuel tank full of the stuff.

I use tons of off road diesel. Equipment, yard trucks, boat, etc. When I buy small quantities at the local gas station, I have to fill out similar paperwork. If the same distributor that owns the station delivers a bulk delivery over 500 gallons or so, I don't sign anything. Typical.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heating oil and red off road fuel are not excactly the same heating oil has no additives in it. and has little to no lubrication for your injector pump. And as already said up here its is a 100 dollar per gallon fine to have it in your onroad tank,unless you are tax exempt (like a town or school district) We run run red off road fuel in our fire trucks but we get certification that it is die and not heating oil.

Just to be clear. red off road fuel
Its the same fuel, just the distributor adds red color to it. If it was any thing but that then all offroad equipment would be having issues with their Injection pumps due to lack of lubrication. Around here logging company's get checked by DOT for it all time. But I have Never seen a road cop mess with a POV's fuel.

OL AG '89

Big trucks are the Prime target for the DOT/DPS stops.
POV's don't burn enough to make that much difference.
I think the taxes in TX are 38 cents/gallon.
If I FILL mine up from empty, 84 gals. I can potentially save $80+ on a $265 fill up.
If I get CAUGHT with dyed fuel in any tanks tied into the trucks fuel system, my savings would never add up to the fines.
SOOOOOO. I don't bother even thinking about it.
I tried buying dyed fuel for the tractor and like I said earlier, Texas has either changed the rules or started enforcing them, It now takes a "refund claim form" sent in the the goober authorities or other paperwork at point of purchase to get the Dyed Fuel....

I would think JP-8 is a different story as we used that in all of the MV's off-road and on when I was in after they dumped the gassers. I'm thinkin drive it, it's not dyed fuel, so they dip the tank and noone sees RED!!

andystamey

I know in my area on-road and off-road are not actually the same just one is died, our stations carry normal, on-road, undied, Ultra low sulfur, while the Off-road is died, low sulfur. And trucks after 2007 do not exactly care for simply low sulfur fuel.

andystamey

I know in my area on-road and off-road are not actually the same just one is died, our stations carry normal, on-road, undied, Ultra low sulfur, while the Off-road is died, low sulfur. And some trucks after 2007 do not exactly care for simply low sulfur fuel.

Matt65

The local Fire Dept runs off road in everything as part of their non-profit, tax exempt status. Probably not the way the laws are written, but a great way to reduce cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.