• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Brake Fluid Reservoir

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered two sets so I can equip both of my trucks. I plan to run tubing though, make it a little 'cleaner' install and then I will only have to worry about a small section of hose. I'll post pics when I'm done, should get the stuff in 3 days.

slotman

I think this is a must do add on for our trucks but, why buy these expensive parts. just go to your local wrecking yard and get a master cylinder with see through reservoir on top. gut inside, make plate for back, cut gasket , cut extra steel line from vehicle. On other side bend steel line up and crimp or to make it cleaner buy plug. if there is a divider in reservoir for duel master cylinder cut it out,if you want find one with screw on cap not snap on and put valve for bleeding breaks mount to fire wall. should be 5 or 10 bucks tops every one should do this mod

jesusgatos

Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I've spent a lot of time looking for the perfect tank to use for this application, and I've pretty much settled on this 2-quart aluminum coolant recovery tank from Canton Racing Products. I'm thinking that I'll use the bottom port to feed the master cylinder, and I'll adapt a shrader valve to the port at the top/side of the reservoir. Heck, I might even just plumb it into the Deuce's air supply with a mini-regulator and/or a ball-valve and an air-pressure gauge. Canton offers both vented and non-vented radiator caps for these reservoirs, so I'll just use the non-vented cap to pressure-bleed the brakes and then replace it with the vented cap. I called them this morning to ask about whether the clear tubing they use for the site-tube is compatible with DOT 4/5 brake fluid (I'm going to use DOT 4 in mah deuce), but the person I needed to talk to isn't going to be back in the office until next Monday or Tuesday. What kind of clear tubing IS compatible with DOT 4/5 brake fluid anyway? Shouldn't be any big deal to find the right type of tubing, even if I have to source it from somewhere else, right?

Attachments

goldwing2000

Banned
I think this is a must do add on for our trucks but, why buy these expensive parts. just go to your local wrecking yard and get a master cylinder with see through reservoir on top. gut inside, make plate for back, cut gasket , cut extra steel line from vehicle. On other side bend steel line up and crimp or to make it cleaner buy plug. if there is a divider in reservoir for duel master cylinder cut it out,if you want find one with screw on cap not snap on and put valve for bleeding breaks mount to fire wall. should be 5 or 10 bucks tops every one should do this mod
If you're going to go through all that, why not just use a remote clutch reservoir? One off a 1997-2004 F150 should be perfect. Don't forget to clean all the DOT 3 fluid out, though!!

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read a number of threads about the remote brake fluid reservoir and I liked the idea.
But I have a question, do you still need to add a vent line?
I know you can not use the vent that was on the MC.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys this looks like a really GREAT idea, I know I should be checking my MS levels more often but its a real pain in the butt at times depending on the mud situation! Just so I have mind weak mind wrapped around this, with this conversion I would be eliminating the vent tube presently attached to the cap of my original MS and replacing it with the 90 degree hose connector pictured? What do I need to do with the current MS vent line?
KK

asgtoolman

I used the same set up as shown in post #7 of this forum, but mounted my reservoir in the corner of my cab beside the drivers seat. The new fill tube runs to the old vent tube location; the new reservoir is basically "self-venting" so the old vent tube can be eliminated.
For all practical purposes the new reservoir and tubing are just a holding tank for additional brake fluid but provide a really easy way to visually check fluid level everytime you climb in the cab if your reservoir is transparent.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much for the info ASA this looks liek a very nice conversion/addition and I am going to ad this to my trucks, I really like this for a much easier way of maintaining the MS fluid levels. I have one last question for you, the Vent tube out of the MS cap attaches to nothing else that I need to be concerned with? I can just disconnect it and cap it and I am done right?
KK

asgtoolman

jesusgatos is correct; nothing special required--I cannot even remember the original termination of the vent tube; I know I did not cap it, maybe I just removed it completely.
That was about a year ago and I don't have too much mid-range memory at my age.
I can remember what I had for breakfast today and I can remember who I played with 60 years ago but a year ago ???????????

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am installing a remote brake reservoir like the one shown by Dabtl at the beginning of this thread. I would like to install it in the engine compartment but I also plan to install a heater. This will impact the usable firewall space for the reservoir. Any suggestions as to where I can install the reservoir in the engine compartment without screwing up the heater install?

AceHigh

Folks have installed them inside the cab on the back corners.

If it were me, I would not install the heater in the engine bay, instead pick an in-cab heater. That think is always in the way!

Good luck on it and post pics of course. :driver:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't argue with the "heater in the way" statement but I have a NOS heater in the box ready to go. I had planned to install the reservoir in the corner by the driver seat but it is getting too crowded with the VIC-1 intercom system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks