• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

Green_gator

Fero,
If you are coming through Florida any before the rally or can figure out some logistics I will gladly donate a couple of spare tires to this trip. I may not be able to go but at least I can send some parts.

Cantrade

I think you are going to do too much driving and too little enjoying the trip. I like to drive my Deuce and have done 600 miles in 2 days but I must say the motel bed at night felt great!

I lived in Alaska for 15 years and worked at Prudhoe Bay. I hope you know you cannot reach the Artic Oecan because the major oil companies restrict access to that area. You can book a guided tour and get there by van from Deadhorse but not with your vehicles.

I would rethink the Deuce and consider another motorcycle for yourself. 600 miles per day would be a better goal I think. Otherwise, I think your time budget is way short--60 days would be more suitable. Not that you can't do it but you are going to be simply passing through some of the most beautiful country around and not have time to stop and smell the roses.

Just my 2 cents worth, of course.:-D

Don

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My father in law is doing the trip on a motorcycle separately from mine.

I am looking at extending the trip to allow for more time as you said to 'stop and smell the roses'

I appreciate all the offers of parts and fuel, as the plan comes together I may start drawing on some of them.

I've found brand new 0 mile 11r20 street tires that I'm planning to install on the truck. Hoping to pick them up this weekend and start installing them.

saddamsnightmare

February 10th, 2010.

Ferro:

I put in for some summer work with the NPS in Alaska, and I was thinking of taking either my M35A2 or Unimog S404.114 for the trip. Right now the M35A2 needs cab heater, starter solenoid/starter issues addressed and 11 new tires.... And if I can find one, a communications shelter for my home. I susoect the Unimog might be better due to agility and mileage issues, but then its slow as a glacier on hills.
I'm still trying to figure out what I need to take the deuce through Canada, and what long arms might be allowed to go (some areas in Alaska and Canada have bears I'd rather not meet unarmed, if you know what I mean (say on a breakdown....).

But if I'm really lucky something might turn up more permanent in Florida or American Samoa......

Good luck on your expedition.... might want to invite R.Lee Ermeyt and his jeep.....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:

DanMartin

Just remember that you have to are also getting back *into* the US, so make sure you have your Passport/Travel card ID thing and *all* paperwork for your trucks (****, I'd carry the title with me!) and that it's all in order. This would be more for the US re-entry than getting into Canada.

It's a great adventure. Lots of great hunting lodge places to stay at on the way up...nice places with hot tubs and cottages (hey, that hot tub would feel pretty good after bouncing around all day in a deuce).

Stout

Just remember that you have to are also getting back *into* the US, so make sure you have your Passport/Travel card ID thing and *all* paperwork for your trucks (****, I'd carry the title with me!) and that it's all in order. This would be more for the US re-entry than getting into Canada.

It's a great adventure. Lots of great hunting lodge places to stay at on the way up...nice places with hot tubs and cottages (hey, that hot tub would feel pretty good after bouncing around all day in a deuce).
The hot springs at the Liard River in BC is worth a stop if you don't mind smelling like sulfur afterwards.

Fullpower

many miles

Sounds like a great adventure you have planned.
Data point for your calculations: Diesel is selling for 3.78 per gallon in southcentral Alaska.

I was tempted to click on " stop by and have a beer when you pass through", but I see you will take the short route to Alaska. :wink:

I hope you take a lot of pictures on this adventure and post them here!

Cheers,
Mark (Germany)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right I forgot. I remember him telling me about it when we drove past the rail yard north of Haspin last year when I took him in for a food for the group.

sw

saddamsnightmare

February 12th, 2010.

Like Ferro:

I have experience on steam, diesel and electric locomotives as engineman, and have rebuilt passenger cars, locomotives and cabooses.... The smelling like sulphur is only the least nastiness the steam locomotives provide you with..... but then I'm only 52.....
I'm still hoping for work in the sunny south (or southwest Pacific), but one takes the work one can get. One of the sites in Alaska requires even the interpreter Rangers to carry firearms to defend self and visitors against the bears.... And I hear Alaska bears are less sensitive about their diets then W.Va. Black Bears, which generally leave humans alone...
I surely don't want to become bear scat like that hippie loon did a couple of years back.....
I susppect the deuce could do it, but whats regular gas running in most of AK, as the Unimog gets about 13-18 MPG depending on load and speed (under 42MPH)?

Cheers and good luck Ferro, stop & visit the White Pass and Yukon at Skagway,AK if you get the chance.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Stout

I used to hand fire coal burning steam locomotives. I don't mind smelling like sulfur! :D
AWESOME! I'd like to do that. I volunteered at a museum in NC all of about 2 days before my work situation changed and I no longer had time.

<-- foamer. Not one of those rabid senseless foamers... I just... I like trains.

Csm Davis

hey boss are you going in 2010 or 2011? we are going both years and would love to tag along, so keep me in mind, we have got to go over to washington and pick up the other tires but that is the only place we have to go thru.

OSO

Did a trip on a BMW R 90 S back in Sept 17,1976 from Waukesha, Wi to Fairbank, Alaska then in a round about way down to Key West ,Flordia. Got back to Waukesha Nov 14,1976 . Mileage on the bike was just over14,000 miles. Took the Alaska Marine Highway from Haines to Juenau, Juenau to Seattle . Was a nice break from riding. Two bikes on the trip , My best freind Ed on a 750 BMW who passed away last year , greatest bike ride I ever had . Used the Alcan Milepost guide for the trip ,a lot of things listed ,but some were closed. When you get close to MP208 in Washington state I live 17 miles east of I-5 interstate. Best of Luck. Kevin [OSO] cell# 360 631 1313[thumbzup][thumbzup]