• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Ventilated Block in Deuce -NOT- Crank Broke

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I do the The Thank You Foundation static display in Newport, KY today and it was pretty toasty down there with the rest of the SS guys.

I just got the truck back together yesterday with Gimpy's help and took it to get fuel and everything was fine. I only put the new 24v civi TM America mod in so it was no big deal except that it was hot.

I hooked up the 105 trailer this morning did a couple walk-arounds and aired all the tires. I had checked everything else when I parked it to put the alt in.

I pulled her out and hosed some dust off, took a shower and hit the road. I met up with Vondy on the way and he followed me down. I told him it was running a little above normal on temp (normal is 180 but pulling the 105 on a hot day it runs 195) so I would be driving slow. 45-48 all the way.

Coming back it was a lot warmer ambient air temp and coming up out of the Ohio River valley (it takes 25 miles to get all the way out) it got up to 208 just as I hit the last uphill climb. I dropped it about 3mph and the temp went to 198. It was fine all the way to Dayton and then I hit an accident at the edge of town. Idling and stop-n-go traffic the temp ran 180.

I got through the first accident and there was another 1/2 mile farther, HD motorcycle hit a temporary dividing concrete barrier.

I drove past and as soon as I got it up to about 30-35 I noticed a slight vibration. I felt it in the clutch pedal and in the gear shift knob. I thought maybe I was starting to lose a clutch from all the stop-n-go for a half hour caused it.

I went around the exit ramp to head for home and it just felt funny so I slowed down. It didn't do it at 45 so I kept it there.

About 2 miles from the house it started slowing and vibrating more. I had good oil pressure the whole time and the temps were fine.

As I rounded the last corner to get onto my street I realized that something major was wrong and as I made the last turn I just pulled it into a parking lot. I called my wife and had her bring my pickup. I called Gimpy for advice and he said he could tow it with his pickup when he got back. Well if he can do it with his the infamous door Dodge could do it. I had my wife go get my pintle and bring it back.

I noticed while I was waiting that there was oil dumped down the front of the truck, the pumpkin was covered and it was on the ground.

I hooked up my tow-bar (best money I ever spent) to the Dodge and put my wife behind the wheel of the Deuce. It still had brakes and we had less than a mile to go. IT was a straight shot and we got it home safely at a pace that I'm pretty sure some snails came out to race us.

Once it was out by the barn I decided to start it up. It starts right up and you can hear the rod slapping the block. It is too late for me to get pics tonight but I will be getting some as I look and when I pull the pan.

Good times.

Last edited:

tm america

From the sounds of it you had a head gasket let go ... Which would explain the higher temps you seen then it would have hydro locked the cylinder breaking the rod?Or in other words you have been gimped?At least you were close to home and had a dodge to save the day

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where's the oil coming from? Is there a hole in the block or is it just knocking really bad?

F18hornetM

I am not sure about these engines, but my experience with blown head gaskets is it pressurizes the cooling system. Especially since it was running all along. Alot more pressure in the combustion chamber than in a "pressuirzed" cooling system. Dont know what the radiator cap is on these, but 15lbs is common on other stuff. I am not sure what would have caused his problem, and maybe was blown headgasket. Just never saw a diesel do that before. Have worked on many with blown headgaskets and they didnt throw a rod. usually the complaint was coolant recovery bottle overflowing.
Maybe you have seen this on these engines before.

DieselBob

Maybe you can come up with a nice LDS to transplant. Hate to hear that happened but glad you where close to home. Hated to hear about the Toole rebuild tag. Same one I have on the side of my engine, either 91~92 rebuild with std rods and mains.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try and search the block for the hole but something put oil all over. I don't think Stretch's truck leaked oil when he lost his cylinder liner last year.

I'm going to get my warranty paperwork out and see if it is covered under power train.

steelandcanvas

A few years ago, #4 rod came apart, taking with it the piston and liner. I never lost a drop of oil, it just sounded like a Guy with a sledge hammer beating on the inside of the engine. :cry:

Hope you get back on the road soon!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno that its a ventilated block. I went over and looked, no holes to be seen. I did see this crack, but I'm not sure if its casting flash or not.

I am voting for a blown headgasket and a piston liner busted.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the sounds of it you had a head gasket let go ... Which would explain the higher temps you seen then it would have hydro locked the cylinder breaking the rod?Or in other words you have been gimped?At least you were close to home and had a dodge to save the day

I think George hit it on the head (no pun intended). I crawled under it, and looked in from the tire and up top and could find no holes or lines broken or anything. Gimpy went over it as well and it looks (to both of us) that the head gasket blew. It has either taken out a rod or liner or both.

Maybe it started small as the vibration I felt might have been escaping gas/oil out the side. If I had any idea that it was something other than something mechanical or eve road vibration I might have saved it by shutting down.

My pics show the side and the way the recovery rig looked getting her home.

Is it just me or should I be this depressed about a truck? It wasn't perfect but it was a nice pain to drive. ;-)

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,

I know there is much relief knowing that you got the truck home and you were not stranded or forced to have a tow company respond, (other than Gimpy's Towing :gimp:, motto: "Don't cuss, call us!" "Chris will cuss for us!"

I sure hope it's repairable and simple. Keep us posted and holler if you need anything.

Thanks Gimp! You have always been a blessing, and never in disguise! [thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a truck that the liner came apart. You won't loose any oil if this happens.

How's the coolant level? If you did in fact hydro lock a cylinder you should have quite a bit of coolant in the oil.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I'm going to join in the calls that it was oil out of the slobber tube and she chunked a piston up.

We got a pool going?

If I'm right, and the head isn't damaged by what happened, she might not be bad off. You'll know when you get the heads off.

Good luck man! Keep us posted and thanks for the write up.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck man! Keep us posted and thanks for the write up.
Sometimes I get a little carried away in my story telling. ;-)

I have the next 5 days off so I'm going to get it into the barn and start pulling stuff off of it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Maybe it just sucked in some crap or a cucv (same) though a bad air cleaner and just has not spit it out it yet. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks