• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scott's LMTV build thread.

Sgthoffer

Hi Folks, I am new here. I bought a 1998 Stewart & Stephenson 1078 LMTV from Indiana. I drove there in my personal truck with a friend of mine and I drove the LMTV to my house while my friend followed me in my F150. I have not noticed alot of things mechanically wrong with it, but it does have a ton of missing parts for the cosmetic side. I am not sure if this is going to turn into a camper build or if this will be a restore so I can drive it to car shows while the wife takes her car to shows. I am considering just making an off road camper on a 1082 so I can keep the truck original. I have always wanted a military vehicle and this was my chance to get one at a decent price so I jumped at it and now have one. I could not be happier. Below are photos I took of it the day after I got it home.

20171115_231829.jpg

Picture above is on the drive home stopping for fuel twice in the LMTV.

20171116_091545.jpg

The dash is not in all that bad of shape. Just needs cleaned a little.

20171116_091537.jpg

My selfie to the wife.. because when I found out about this truck.. I left work to go get it. We ended up not getting to see each other for about 30 hours straight and it was a long drive back at 55mph.

20171116_154900.jpg

The front, appears to be missing the shackles and the grill is broken. I have looked and cannot find a grill anywhere. I need one if anyone has one in new or newish condition. The windshield has some scratched from running broken wipers on it, pure neglect issue that make me angry. Not sure if that can be buffed out or if I will need new glass. Drivers side mirror missing, that sucked driving home using that tiny mirror on the arm.

20171116_154908.jpg

Cab left, door handle broken. I ordered a new set with matching keys from ebay. Seller said he updated shipping to 3 day priority because he was on vacation when I ordered them. I have not gotten them yet but cannot wait for them to come in.

20171116_154911.jpg

Entire left side, you can see it is missing everything from the bed of the truck. I have looked online but it appears to be cheaper to either A buy another LMTV and get parts from it, or B, buy a 1082 and take the parts of the bed of that. I may not need parts if I decide to do the camper build.

20171116_154921.jpg

Picture of the left side.. front tires a worn some.. I will need to replace those at some point. I will probably repair everything and then put 4 new tires on it.

20171116_154931.jpg

passenger back corner

20171116_155007.jpg

drivers back corner

20171116_155017.jpg

Drivers side.. door handle missing (on the way) and a few dents in the trim above the tire. Missing mirror.

Last edited:

Sgthoffer

20171117_144348.jpg

Roof damage, I am guessing maybe they tried to go to McDonalds in it lol.

20171117_144607.jpg

The LMTV compared to my ford in the driveway. Makes my f150 look like a baby.

20171116_162805.jpg

20171116_162752.jpg

20171116_162756.jpg

20171116_162800.jpg

Windshield damage, do you think that will buff out? Suggestions of how to fix it?

Sgthoffer

20171116_154825.jpg

20171116_154830.jpg

20171116_154855.jpg

20171116_154953.jpg

20171116_154940.jpg

20171116_154848.jpg

So you can see this clearly was a 101st ABN truck, but I cannot tell what unit.. Do you recognize the unit, It is almost completely blocked out on it and I can't tell.
I am really stoked this came from the 101st, because I was in the 101st while in the military.

1951M1078

Get the DA out with some 320. My truck was in the 3rd. CAV,8th. CAV and 13th. something ? Its the letter on the door that I don't know ? AX on one a /60 on the other ?

And always take lots of photo's !

Look great.

Sgthoffer

The interior is not terrible, but the seats are so bad they need thrown in the trash. Vent is missing in one of the panels, couple buttons missing from the heater panel, The labels are all scuffed to the point you cannot read them and the floor insulation has been cut out and completely missing. I ordered these parts to repair alot of the things wrong with it and upgrade some of the other parts..

winch panel.JPG

Bought this winch panel, going to mount by switches, CB and radio in this panel.

radio.JPG

Going to use this cab mount for antenna for my CB antenna mount.

warning.JPG

Got this to replace one of the labels that is missing.

vent.JPG

New vent to replace the missing one.

cab insulation.JPG

New cab insulation

steer.JPG

New steering wheel, mine is crooked and a little messed up.. has a sticky feel to it.

door.JPG

New door handles

start.JPG

new ignition switch so It uses a key to start it.

beacon.JPG

new beacon light, the one I drove in Iraq had one.. Thought I needed one too. (this was delivered a couple days ago)

diffuser.JPG

New windshield diffuser, mine is super dirty and solid metal where you cannot see through it.

Sgthoffer

seat.JPG

seat 1.JPG

ordered new seats for all three seats.. mine are in such bad shape they need thrown away.

map box 1.JPG

map box.JPG

Ordered a map box, the one I drove in Iraq had one in it. I don't think they came with these but I am not sure. I just wanted it to match pictures and memories of mine from Iraq.

floor mat.JPG

Got a new floor mat for the drivers side. Did they not have floor mats on the passenger side?

Sgthoffer

Get the DA out with some 320. My truck was in the 3rd. CAV,8th. CAV and 13th. something ? Its the letter on the door that I don't know ? AX on one a /60 on the other ?

And always take lots of photo's !

Look great.
What is DA? The spray paint covering it? and what is 320? Sandpaper? Sorry.. I am new to this.. I drove one of these for 2 weeks at the end of my enlistment in Iraq. I was an infantry grunt. Don't expect me to be bright :beer:

Sgthoffer

20171127_141515.jpg

YAY.. some parts came today! Exciting..

So for those who have replaced the carpet, how do you get it to layout flat? heat gun? Warm day? what is the best way to get it to take the shape of the interior?
The interior in mine is completely missing the carpet, floor mats, etc.. appears to be cut out of it because you can see where it was under the center seat. (they cut around it)

utahpow

I know you probably checked, but thought to ask --- there are no bed sides in the holder-compartment thing in the back?

I need the link to the door handles if you don't mind PM'ing me that? Thanks

Crapgame

Welcome Aboard, Sarge! I was a 5-0-Deuce myself, Bastard Bde. My own M1081 LVAD is going to be a 5th SFG War Pig Gun Truck. I haven't decided if I am keeping the original bed hardware/troop seats or keep it on hand to use without the Expeditionary POL Racks.

Any chance of using acetone to wipe the **** Oblitterating Compound off the original unit markings to see which BCT it belonged to?

Edit: Suprman has some A1 all metal grilles on the way.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Did I see that you have the *updated Air Dryer in your items you ordered? If not check with Will aka Suprman

*Located by Battery box on chassis. Old has a finned casing. Newer one does not.

Last edited:

Sgthoffer

Welcome Aboard, Sarge! I was a 5-0-Deuce myself, Bastard Bde. My own M1081 LVAD is going to be a 5th SFG War Pig Gun Truck. I haven't decided if I am keeping the original bed hardware/troop seats or keep it on hand to use without the Expeditionary POL Racks.

Any chance of using acetone to wipe the **** Oblitterating Compound off the original unit markings to see which BCT it belonged to?

Edit: Suprman has some A1 all metal grilles on the way.
I will try that. Thanks for the heads up. If you were able to recreate a war pig, that would be awesome. Would steal the show at parades etc in my opinion. I need a grill badly. I will check with him.

Sgthoffer

Did I see that you have the *updated Air Dryer in your items you ordered? If not check with Will aka Suprman

*Located by Battery box on chassis. Old has a finned casing. Newer one does not.

I did not have an updated air dryer. I was not aware at this point they needed one installed. I will check tonight and see if mine is updated or not. Can you send a pic of what I am looking for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks