• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter to Camper Conversion....

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just viewed thread. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Great work! To be admired attention to detail! My hat is off to you, Juergen!!2cents
God bless,
Tony:D

kawkev

Very nice work! I am an aircraft sheet metal mechanic and I can truly appreciate the planning that went in to you're project. Lots of great ideas and very nice work. I admire you're work and hope to start my own conversion project soon. Of course I'll have to steal some of your ideas. Hope you don't mind. Excellent job!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
59apache I have really enjoyed following your threads and the top notch work that you have done. I guess it will be awhile before you start the new one of the paint job for the truck. You have done such a great job on the cave and lifting unit I know the truck one will be worth following also. A+ Juergen

Clay James

Nice work! How is the ladder attached to the box? I have a non standard ladder for my 109 and it doesn't fit the stock mount so I'm trying to come up with a way to mount it.

59apache

Chipmaker
there are hooks P1010005.jpgon the ladder to secure it upright,
on the shelter is a simple angle out of 4mm Stainless steel P1010001.jpgand a pin P1010002.jpgfor a latch. thats more or less the original way to mount it. the ladder is from a Bundeswehr shelter, the original was a piece of heavy, rusty junk.

P1010004.jpgfor use it's secured with a kind of c-clamp.P1010003.jpg that's original. the c-clamp is normally attached to tailgate of the truck, not possible in my case. I've build a squaretube P1010006.jpgwith a notch in the middle to clear the door. It's part of the lifter.

59apache

Chipmaker
I was on the scale today.....
rear axle (both together) 10538 lbs.
front axle 6128 lbs.
total 16490 lbs.
with tools, driver, full tank, all batteries. but without side walls!! water, food, clothes, all the necessary stuff.
I've trialed to build lightweight(with a list on the wall with everey part weighted) , but thats real real heavy.

59apache

Chipmaker
technical no problem....
but registered as a truck you're limited to 16500 in Germany. Over you need a CDL (wich i have), means no driving on weekends ( no matter if its commercial or not) every half year inspection, SP and regular.

What i'm wondering about is the load on the front axle. With this long overhang i've expected less.

59apache

Chipmaker
i have to talk with the DOT inspector if its possible to change my registration to motorhome / RV and bring it back to the original weight.. If its possible, the problem is solved. If not, i've 2 possibilities:
Reduce weight (lightweigth bed, new subframe, super singles f.e.) or driving overloaded. Thats the (for my opinion) worst possibility. That means senseless stress:
tickets, maybe the cops stop the journey.... that means unload.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep my fingers cross that they let you reconfigure the class of vehicle and you can become a "motor-home/RV! Terrible not to be able to drive on the weekends and have all the extra mental stress of the Police "always behind" you, ya know? Keep us informed! THANKS for sharing!
God bless,
Tony:popcorn:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks