• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

Artisan

Yeah its poplar, not sure of the sub species

3 huge trees blew over in major wind storm this summer

I am piling it up, gonna send it to local mill and have it cut down

Dave

Dave...

Shame on you... :)

Buy a Sawmill, maybe a Norwood and get to the gettin'.

You will thank me sir. Can you imagine the POWER to cut your own 6x6's?
To be able to cut your own REAL 2x4's?

GAWD I wish I could fall upon those kinda tree things!

(Well, I do have a Norwood mill, what I mean is those ROUNDS! YaHoo!)

Another Ahab

Yeah its poplar, not sure of the sub species

Dave
I'm not an arborist or anything, but pretty sure that poplar in North America is Tulip Poplar.

One of the oldest tree species in the world (it flowers; that's the give-away).

There's a Lombardy Poplar, european species, but not sure they're even related.

School is out; tree lesson is over. The drift ends here!

tobyS

I had a patent about to issue for operating bands at ultra high tension on a linear bandsaw, sawmill. I spent 3 years at a precision woodwork machinery company building it. It worked better than we all expected. I applied spring fatigue theory to bandsaw design for commercial hardwood saw-milling, operating more than twice the tension of any known bandsaw, very thin. I went to DC Patent Office three times, 2 days each and learned how to do proper research there. I spent plenty $$,$$$ with the patent attorney.

Looking around the main file floors, I estimated 30 Asian countries had 2 men each going from the file to copy machine. I could have been off a lot, but Wow, when the patent would issue, I (we) would be paying to give it, my invention and all the relevant art in a convenient package, to the world!

Financial collapse of the venture followed when I bulked at completing the patent and it becoming public property. I still have hopes of putting the design(s) to a proprietary use in manufacturing engineered wood beams and panels, cutting thin wood very efficiently.

Last edited:

rustystud

Looking around the main file floors, I estimated 30 Asian countries had 2 men each going from the file to copy machine. I could have been off a lot, but Wow, when the patent would issue, I (we) would be paying to give it, my invention and all the relevant art in a convenient package, to the world!

Financial collapse of the venture followed when I bulked at completing the patent and it becoming public property. I still have hopes of putting the design(s) to a proprietary use in manufacturing engineered wood beams and panels, cutting thin wood very efficiently.
And we wonder why this country is falling behind. The other countries are stealing us blind ! and we're letting them !

tobyS

"Letting them"....it's a lawyers game to fleece the innovators while simultaneously giving the full intel package to MANY foreign countries where you have no hope of enforcing the patent in. Applying for the patent is cool especially if you do your own research, but having it issue is not, it becomes the worlds public property then.

Another Ahab

I ran across this in my neighborhood.

Somebody had mentioned that it might be an ammunition trailer of some kind.

Does anybody know what this trailer is meant to haul?

trailer.jpg

bigblockchevelle

M103a1 or a2. Those uprights in the front hold a metal panel, which I have. Wish one of these would pop up around here.

Steve
I had saw it listed a while back for 300 or 400 on a swap page. They relisted it on Friday and said they needed it gone that day for $50 including the pintle hitch for the truck. It was about an hour drive but I figured it was worth it so I went and picked it up. Thinking im going to haul logs with it and possibly use it part of the year for a mobile deer hunting blind.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across this in my neighborhood.

Somebody had mentioned that it might be an ammunition trailer of some kind.

Does anybody know what this trailer is meant to haul?

View attachment 589356
That is a m832/m833/m840 shelter dolly that breaks in 2 parts and each end connects to the shelter so it can be towed. Very specialized and not many other uses that I know of. Someone with fabrication skills could make a flat bed hay wagon.

Typically they are broken down for parts and scrapped.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What JuanP said - it comes apart where those two uprights are.

There is also a flatbed "pallet", but the only ones of those I know of are in the museum at Camp Mabry. I admit to casting a rather covetous eye upon them.

When not attached to a shelter, the two sections bolt together and can be hauled as a trailer, as in your picture.
Without the shelter, they are unpredictable though - I recovered one from Oklahoma and one from Hooks, both towed like a dream, straight and true. I tried to recover one from Ft Worth, and at anything above 25mph it was like a vicious snake. I traded it off before I left the city!

The M832 has it's own brakes, supplied with air from the tow vehicle.

I use mine to move the S280 and the SPAM. Both tow nicely at 50mph.

Cheers

PS - SPAM = Shelter, Portable, Aircraft Maintenance. Looks rather like an S280 with fold out sides.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks