• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to be broke!

Stalwart

Enjoy Daytona, I did my time there from 1984-88 while going to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University . . . I don't miss it. Without all the bugs it would be OK.

bassetdeuce

I can't leave here quick enough. Northern transplants, soccer moms, and cops here WILL use the city ordinances against you. For us it was just a matter of time. Daytona is a nice place to visit though.

Congrats on the successful trip. There is a very scenic drive on Old Dixie highway to the north in Ormond, the Bike Week people call it "the loop". I don't know if I'd try it with the deuce, with the extremely tight hairpin turns and narrow roadway. Fishing is good to the south in New Smyrna. Mangrove snapper fishing is quite nice and peaceful. The beach is the best part of Daytona. Be careful you don't run over any spring breakers.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the safe return.

Looking at those pics, I can smell the sea breeze.

Have you considered repainting her with a "Tropical Beach Camo" theme:idea:

Or... maybe the BeachBuggy pink & white with the fringed bikini top over the troop seats:driver:

saddamsnightmare

March 15th, 2010.

Lrjet:

Glad to hear that you and the truck made it home safe. You might want to replace the short driveshaft (12") bolts with new GI ones, several sources (White Owl, Eastern Surplus, Memphis, Boyce), as these are high maintenance items when running on the road for extended periods. The cable down into your transfer case on the left side behind the airpack is the speedo cable. It's usual to relube this with lithium grease by hand and check the "O" rings in the couplings, if worn, the bottom one can leak tranny fluid.
Most deuces take a lot of beating to kill them, most of us were worried over the Lake Ponchartrain and Borgne bridges in La., as we didn't want to see you stuck there, really bad MOJO. At least you didn't have to have her towed or trailered, so its money and experience in your pockets, so to speak.

Cheers and have a great Spring Break at home!

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

JeremyB

Welcome to the area!There is a SS member in New symrna,just South of you by the name of Big Case. He has or can locate just about anything you need for your Deuce. I think he will be hosting an event in Daytona in a month or so.[thumbzup]

lrjet23

Had some company over, then unloaded the truck, time to spool down.

After the advice and tips when I started this thread, went to check her out. I did find three bolts loose from the drive shaft to T-Case, only about a quarter turn. Checked all the bolts on the U-Joints, tight, and found some zerts I had missed, greased em, and found the breather (thanks wsu). Got the breather to tap, don't know if it was still clogged inside, but it tapped and turned. Decided to press my luck. $1200 to throw in the towel at this point, or the cost of gas to try. (The night in Beaumount, I put the info into uship. Figured worst case, I'll have the wife be a middleperson for details where I was) Got 3 calls within 12 hours. Reminds me, I have to cancel that.

Off I go, Daytona Beach or Bust. I was so caught up on the trans. T-Case deal, I forgot to do basic PMCS. When I fired her up, she made a knocking sound that i've never heard her before. "Darn it" shut her down, checked the oil, and it was full. Start back up, warm up... normal, off I go.

All gears want as advertised, no noise, nothing. About three minutes in fifth, the noise started. "Crap", pulled off the next exit, and it hit me. Rembembering what Hndrsonj posted, that's just the way it's gona have to be. So, pulled into the station to top her off. (Didn't want to the previous evening, to waste $60)

The noise wasn't as bad, as the previous day, but still annoying. I didn't want to wear earplugs, or headset, for the fear of missing any sudden changes too late. Push the pedal, seemed the noise went away, or the exaust drowned it out. Off the pedal, hear the whistler, then intermiment grinding. Playing with the throttle, and thinking about what I have read, advice here, and the TM's, i decided to stop and try a few things. By then, I was 80 miles deep into LA, and found a place to stop. I only like easy on and off's, close to the road. Meaning I'll run out of gas before I cross the road or highway for fuel. (Drives the wife nuts)

Idle... shut down, oil check, and I notice the a small leak on the top of the front oil housing. I changed the oil two days previous, but did not get new o-rings fot the top. Grabbed a wrench and german torqued it. (For those who don't know that is "good-n-tightt" in your best german accent) The tach cable was leaking once again, oil still full. And I found two bolts needing snugging on the trans to drive-shaft. Everything else tight, I'm ready to roll. Rembembering the basics this time. Mine is start, oil pressure, look in the left side flap, lights on w/ hazzard, walk around, left flap again, climb in, hazzard off and go. This time after the start, oil was purging out of the front oil housing bottom. Shut down, (mabey those German's don't know everything), and say a few words.

NOTE: -Wait about 30 minutes before removing the oil housing after primed.
-Also make a bucket or bin that fits underneth her part of your preps.

I did or had neither. So, after I removed the housing, and threw most of my stash of rags on the ground, saw the top o-ring was split. (Germans), but no real reason for the bottom ring to give Resat, and gave it a "french" torque.
this was all after trying to barely maneuver the housing around a bit and starting starting her. All those attempts used more and more of my rags.

After the reinstall (had extra fuel filters, and rings, the old oil filters, and no rings. O-Rings are cheaper than a tow) started her, and woo hoo!!! three drips came out of the top, but the bottom held. I pushed the top ring down and it didn't leak anymore. (Still have to change that) warm up, then throttled her to 1500 rpm. No leaks, nothing strange, butten her up, and I'm outa there.

I did spray carb cleaner to see evidence of new leaks, after the fix. The picture is when I got home.

At this point, and the whole rest of the trip, I am worried about all her life blood pouring onto the pavement without my knoledge. I can only tell you this; my eyes were on the temp and pressure gauges as much as the road.

TIP: When you are in highway mode, when you hear the compressor cycle, scan the gauges. (At the same rpm, i could point to when it shut off)

To jimm1009, yes I knew of those bridges, in fact worried about being stuck on one, the havoc it would create. There should be a rest or picnic area before said bridges. I honstly do not rembember there being one rest stop in L.A. on the I-10, I-12, route eastbound. I can honestly say that the LA road men need to take a class on how to properly connent a road to a bridge. Don't know how many times the spring seat went to it's lateral stops, almost hitting my head on the soft top. Got to the point I was looking back after each mating for items departing the bed. Luckly, I sucered my cargo pretty good. If you notice the first pic with both tarps, and the one at the beach with one. Even at 45 MPH, those cheap Harbor Freight tarps don't last.

I contuned over the bridges, having the trucks pass me, (Eventhought the sign says 'Trucks RightLane Only', which I glad they did. I don't want to hold anyone up who makes money per mile, with a limited clock, because all I can do is........45.)

It was somewhere on I-12, after listening to the symphony of sounds; exaust, engine, whistler, and grinding, and the gauges were normal, I stopped babying her like a child. At this point, I pulled the throttle out and picked up the speed. Somewhere I read not to ues the throttle as a cruies control, but it worked marvelously. Up and down it held the rpm constant. That's why I contuined into the night. For this would be my first night experience, and I had only the left panel illuminated. I did however, have a crank flashlight. Gave me something to do while listening the the orchestra metal and machine play.

I topped off somewhere MI, and called 4x4, to give a sitrep, and made it to Howley, FL., for another top off. Kept on rolling, wondering ig I can make this nonstop. ie rest. Florida is great. On I-10 rest areas every 30 miles. Thats good, and bad. I'd see one and say, I can do another 30 miles. The worst time for me is a couple hours before dawn. After the sun is up, I can go the rest of the day. I also have a rule when I drive. That is if I hit the rumbel strip or middle reflector, I STOP. No sence in being a hero, if I cannot tell anyone about it. So, I stopped about 6am, Just at the crack of dawn, but I knew I was done. In the middle of trucks ideling, sleeping in the cab of a deuce, I was out.

3 hours later, cause the rig blocking the sun moved, I was on the move. Couple more phone tags with 4x4, and 5 hours later, you saw the deuce on the beach.

Observations:

I had three people give attention to her the whole trip. One in Houston, a good o boy in a pick up honked and waved. Another in LA, was a trucker that made sure to get my attention. The last made the whole trip worth it. Turning off I-95 onto 421 the road to the bridge where I live, an elderly, bearded man, sitting at the bus stop, saluted her as she passed. I returned the salute, but am kicking myself for not putting air through the horn.

No cop trouble! They didn't even bat an eye. Did not go throught weight stations. The last station out off I-95 south, I saw A DOT move as I passed the house, he kept on going, so i have searched to see if we have to stop or not.
I could't find a yes or no, so I threw that out. I will not stop. (of corse I do not have plate, she is registered as FMV in TX)

I'd like to sleep for two days, but I have to mend a fence in the back yard for the rabbits, and dog. But like I told the wife, that's why WE need the truck.....to go to Lowes!

Night all, and thanks

Attachments

lrjet23

Guess the site was down last night when I tried to post this. Could't wait any longer, sleep was in order. Sorry for the delay.

Forgot the oil housing,

And the ONLY vehicle I could have passed, but just slowed down.

Kinda blurry, but she ran about 185 in the heat of day, and 175 at night, I thought that was good!
After leaving beaumount, she ran 20 hours, for 853 miles, in a total of 28 hours!

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

March 16th, 2010.

Lrjet23:

The long post and photos of your trip posted today were worthy shots, just goes to show these beasts can stagger along pretty well, but they do love their maintenance.

Good trip (any trip you can walk away from is a good trip)[thumbzup] and no more German adjustments.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

NB: Oil filter bottom ring gaskets will drive you nuts for drips also, it seems they never manage to not drip except for ten minutes when they are newly installed.....

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am so glad that you were able to limp in.. that is a testimony to these fine trucks. sorry your visit to the grand state of road disrepair(louisiana) was so short.. lets hope you stay a bit next time.. above all your safe[thumbzup] good job.. and a well done too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks