• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 912-2 upgrades!

EZFEED

That is an interesting crank shaft. It is one piece?
Its 7 pieces that assemble into one. If you click on the repair manual link near the first part of this thread you can see some better pics. It's pretty much staked and bolted with some huge bolts then balanced. Its hollow too and both oil pumps pump oil through the crank through the front journal and lubricates the rods and mains then exits through a ball valve at the rear flange of the shaft.

EZFEED

Finished the starboard side tail light circut for the LED's. Put the relays in a box and will be securing it to the inside top of one of the rear ammo lockers.

Also started repainting the passenger side. Going back with gloss white instead of the cream colored crap that was original.

Attachments

EZFEED

Did some more work today, used the needle gun to clean the old paint and suprisingly it worked very well. I think I will use this exclusivley at this time since its better than stripping all of the old paint off. I really would like to strip the complete interior but at the moment I need to have it ready to go for a few things. Maybe a full interior resto will be in the furture. For sure the old paint has sure held up well so it's doing its job protecting the metal and its thick so I will leave it in and paint over it for the time being.

Lightbulbs.
I've decided to keep the incandescent bulbs for the headlights, reason being I cant find any LED alternatives to replace them that provide the same output. Both of the incandescent bulbs in the truck are 1526 Tungsram 12V 35/35watt and are impossible to find here in the states (at least I couldn't). The bulbs are fairly large and measure 2 1/2" long by 1 3/8" wide with a 20mm base.
I found them for $27 each :shock: in Canada and overseas until I ran across www.bulbster.com and discovered that they have a replacment made by EIKO (6235B) http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/6235b-p-2937.html for only $2.45 each!!!! So I bought 5!:p

If you guys ever need some special bulbs this is the place!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, thanks for posting. LED tail lights are great for slow moving MVs.
EIKO makes a lot of substitute stuff, wonder if the life expectancy is the same as the Tungsram bulbs....

EZFEED

Thanks Bjorn:-D I guess I'm keeping a sort of log on this thread:wink:
Let me know if you see something that I can improve please speak up! As you can see i'm doing some improvments.

By the way, I found an electric cooling fan that will work perfectly. Only thing is that I cannot find a temp probe that will work with air temp.

Here are the new bulbs in action, like an idiot though....I connected the high beams in reverse:|
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Picture001-2.flv

The lights are kind of funny, there are two bulbs in each bucket. A very small bulb which you see on at first then when you click the lights on the EIKO bulb will light but only one filament, click the floor dimmer switch and the other burns. Those little lights stay on all the time though when the lighting switch is open??????:|

Last edited:

EZFEED

Here's another vid running down the road.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Picture001-1.flv

......and one of the guts of the engine. The pan gasket was seeping a little so I bought some material and made a new one. No leaks whatsoever now. (double cam but not overhead...I slipped up)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Picture056.flv

....and another while working in my pasture last month pulling trees up into a burn pile.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=DSCN0165.flv

The neighbor had a 50 foot water oak that was over 5 foot in diameter that fell over during hurricane Ike. He couldn't move it with his tractor so I ran over there and spooled out 20' of the rear winch cable, wrapped it around the base, locked all 10 wheels in drive and drug that puppy like there was nothing back there:-D

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn:-D I guess I'm keeping a sort of log on this thread:wink:
Let me know if you see something that I can improve please speak up! As you can see I'm doing some improvements.

....... Those little lights stay on all the time though when the lighting switch is open??????:|
Using a thread as a log is what I do sometimes also.

For improvements, trace out the wiring for the head lights and put them on a separate circuit breaker, so that a non-related problem won't leave you without lights.

What kind of turn signal unit does your truck have, do you have 4-way flashers?

EZFEED

Will do, that would be a smart idea indeed.

4 way flashers? Do you mean flashers front and back? If so then yes. The only thing was with the incandescent setup the flasher and brake for the rear were taken care of a bi-filament bulb. The fronts are independant.

EZFEED

I had to take some pics for the Louisiana OMV last month for the antique registration so here they are. I put the original lenses back on the tailight buckets for the pics so thats why you dont see the new LED's.

Made a new discovery the other day while working underneath the front. All frontal armor is 15mm compressed chromemoly steel plate while the rest is 10mm thick. Thats some reasonably thick forward facing plates. I wonder if there is a jig somewhere that they used to build this thing?

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting vehicle Ezfeed, nice work you've done on it. I got to play with one a few days back, I noted the visibility from the driver's seat to be absolutely woeful! Still, I would enjoy having one.

Cheers

Attachments

EZFEED

Cool deal Rory! That wouldn't happen to be the one Earl Tucker brought in would it? I think he said he sold it already, would you know to who? I have to scan some manuals that I sold him coipies of and send them off before the new owner picks it up, hopefully I will get home soon, I'm stuck at work right now :(

Yeah the visibility is kind of poor but I have some cameras that WGTACTICAL here reccomended that I purchase and they come with little 7" color monitors. That will assist me in right hand turns and backing up. Really I've driven it enough that I can put it through the twists and turns fairly well. Mines also got hydro-electric power steering and some other modifications that were experimental and from what I have found may in fact be the last surviving specimen to be equipped with them. There are three of us in the U.S.A. (Littlefield, Earl, and me) and mine is the only one with these features and I have yet to find another overseas that s complete. Only 80 or so units were modified so its kinda cool to have the odd bird :)

I drove it from Houston to Beaumont on I-10E and just hummed along till I had trouble with debri in my fuel tanks clogging my filters and driving it in the towns in between wasn't too bad. Got it up to 45 and 50 mph a time or two and thats WIDE open but my engine and driveline are new 200km so there were no ill affects.

You ought to get'cha one! They're only like $4-$5,000 and Poland has a bunch of them so no shipping from CZ to Germany like I had to do. I've got a BMP-1 getting reworked over there as we speak and should be shipping it this year. Its going to cost me about $8-$10,000 total depending on who I use and when, to ship it.

Last edited:

EZFEED

Heres you a video of what its like driving it. I dont know if you took that one for a spin or not but if not then this is pretty fair. It's not bouncy as the footage shows, I was trying to shift, steer, and film at the same time so I rested the camera on the steering wheel as I was holding the wheel and there is some vibration that must have transmitted to it. It rides good though, like a 11.5 ton caddilac ;-)

I took it to Lowes to pick up some lumber that would not fit in my pickup and then to Wal-Mart for groceries then back home. Kinda risky with no plates at the moment but no one seems to bother me too much....wonder why? lol
Turn your sound up ALL the way. Thats about how loud it is.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Picture001-1.flv
[media]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/Videos/?action=view&current=Picture001-1.flv[/media]

Last edited:

vtunimog

Good luck with your mods - I am unfamiliar with the 912 motor, I know the 930 cools ok at idle and has a rather large cooler I know that quite a few in the CZ mount an aux cooler on the rear deck with a cage to protect it.

Try dynamat for insuation. We put in the red truck on my avatar and it cuts noise from teeth rattling to manageable. heat infiltration was cut dramtically as well. Even cheap marine high density insulation will work (check your local WestMarine)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it was the one Earl had. Didn't drive it, but enjoyed the close inspection. The guns were a lot bigger than I expected. Too bad they were de-mil'ed, must be a ball to fire!

I like the camera idea, could be useful on a couple of my other vehicles, the M813 in particular. Good for backing a trailer too. With the M105 behind me, large as it is I can't see it at all unless it is way off track. The camera might help me limit the number of ungentlemany words that escape when I try to place the trailer.

Cheers

EZFEED

Good luck with your mods - I am unfamiliar with the 912 motor, I know the 930 cools ok at idle and has a rather large cooler I know that quite a few in the CZ mount an aux cooler on the rear deck with a cage to protect it.

Try dynamat for insuation. We put in the red truck on my avatar and it cuts noise from teeth rattling to manageable. heat infiltration was cut dramtically as well. Even cheap marine high density insulation will work (check your local WestMarine)
That.......is a fantastic idea my friend!:-D I never thought of trying the insulation they sell there and I have actually bought and used it once on my uncles Larson boat that have a volvo penta drive in it. Great stuff and muffled the engine noise.

As far as the cooler I have more problems getting the oil up to temp than anything. I suspect that will change in the summer but we'll see. I would like to add more oil capacity though and I was thinking that adding a cooler and lines would help in that department. It takes 5 gallons of oil but it is a fairly large engine.

EZFEED

Yes, it was the one Earl had. Didn't drive it, but enjoyed the close inspection. The guns were a lot bigger than I expected. Too bad they were de-mil'ed, must be a ball to fire!

I like the camera idea, could be useful on a couple of my other vehicles, the M813 in particular. Good for backing a trailer too. With the M105 behind me, large as it is I can't see it at all unless it is way off track. The camera might help me limit the number of ungentlemany words that escape when I try to place the trailer.

Cheers
Yep they are quite large, almost 300lbs per barrel.

Yep the cameras will really help. I'm putting the back up cam right above the hitch and then I'm marking the screen on the monitor with lines to help me navigate with backing up. The forward facing camera is going on the passenger side somewhere and will be aimed at the right front fender to help me navigate right hand turns. I may place it at the right rear corner of the bed and aim it at an angle. This would give me a clear shot of how I am doing rounding a curbed turn. For your 813 you could place it right above the pintle then weld some angle iron up around it as a guard. Maybe even drill a small hole in that rear plate just above the pintle and mount the camera itself from the backside. If it were me I'd probably paint a little one inch red dot or something on the trailer and then mark the monitor screen with a O and just keep the dot in the O while backing up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks