• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

They lost my truck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SORRY, i think it was my fault, it was my off handed remark about a posting someone made about some trucks up for auction on GL. this hijaching and off topic is a pet peeve of mine, i guess its easy to fall into the trap, SORRY again

M920

Thanks for the heads up on the Hemmet Crooks! Very interesting theory about it not bringing enough money on ebay, I bet that is exactly what happened!

Anyway, I'm not for hire and only haul my toys, so it is lisenced as a class A RV.

Oh....and I think the M920's on GL are in Hawaii !! How would you ever get them over here? I guess brake them down and put them in to some ocean containers.....

Soni

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was his name Colin Dibnah? That's the guy that "lost"my ebay M818 truck!
Yes, his name was Colin. Same guy.

Anyway, I'm not for hire and only haul my toys, so it is lisenced as a class A RV.
Thanks. I was wondering how you would license a truck that size. Is that a sleeper on the back? Is that why it is able to be licensed as an RV?

Oh....and I think the M920's on [edit: delete quoted potentially objectionable information] !! How would you ever get them [edit: delete quoted potentially objectionable information]? I guess brake them down and put them in to some [edit: delete quoted potentially objectionable information].....
Soni
[start hijack] I did not link to an auction, I vaguely mentioned that some trucks were up for sale. I did not say where. I have been notified of the rule transgression and have edited my post. I won't break that rule again now that it has been clarified to me. Those quoting my post have perhaps also broken the rule, but not my worry. Let's end this now. [end hijack]

armytruck63

OK, now I feel compelled to say something. I've known Colin Dibnah for about five years and I heard about this tragedy earlier this week. I considered Colin a friend. The only business dealing I ever had with him was my selling parts to Colin. I never bought any vehicles from him, though I certainly drooled over his stockpile of M818's and M920's.

I saw Colin and his family last year at a parade in Riverside, CA and I last saw Colin just a month ago at the March Field Air Museum. We had lunch with some of the museum staff and volunteers, including Colin's dad Tony.

Tony Dibnah is an English WWII vet and he also served in Palestine in 1948. I can't imagine the pain Tony is going through right now.

Colin had a genuine enthusiasm for military vehicles. I showed up once with my M1009 pulling my M416 trailer and Colin commented how they looked good together. We talked about converting the M416 lights to 12 Volts. Colin then happily showed me the M818's and M920's. When I saw him a month ago he was interested in the receiver hitch I had installed on the deuce.

I am sorry to hear about the vehicle sales that went sour here. I don't know what personal demons were tormenting Colin recently. I will say that I saw no sign of anything wrong when I saw Colin in June.

I will miss him.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

i live in west tennessee about an hour from henderson where this happened. I didnt hear anything about this at all. I will pray for the family though. This is a tragedy by any definition of the word

yetti96

Was his name Colin Dibnah? That's the guy that "lost"my ebay M818 truck!

So other than the interesting end to his life, did you ever get to a decent conclusion to the purchase of the "missing" truck? (I hope that didn't sound as if I wished or hoped he would die, not my intent, but obviously anything further to pursue for recourse is over.)

undysworld

Anybody know if this was a relative of Fred Dibnah, the steeplejack? Here's a video of him: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuSW9kOBADo[/media]

If so, it sounds like they were an interesting lot.

(sorry for the hijack)

bobkerry

hey really nice to read your post it is great and one thing which i would like to add is this all is amazing and i really love the pictures

Armada

Just read this complete thread. After reading 920's first post and seeing the pictures I knew exactly who he was talking about. Colin Dibnah bought all of the tan depot rebuilt 818's with winches that were for sale out of Indianapolis back in early '07. About 2 months after the sale they started showing up on ebay under a different sellers name. 26 M818 trucks in total in that single GL sale and over half were winch trucks. I purchased my 818 from that same gl sale. He was also a member on SS but I forget what his handle was. He was trying to get into the truck rental business for the movies too. Don't think that ever amounted to anything. He had pm'ed me after the 818 sale to ask me about my truck. His name sounded familiar and after going back through some money order receipts from 2005, there his name and address was. I had bought a couple of deuce bumper steps from him in early '05 on ebay and he never delivered. Screwed me out of $60. He kept responding to my inquires with excuses and finally stopped answering my emails altogether. His phone # was actually a fax machine #. Got the post office involved and he had cashed the m.o. as soon as he got it. Nothing I could do about it. Granted it wasn't alot of money, but it was still thievery. I despise a thief. :deadhorse:
I see that someone else has identified him later in this thread. So ripping people off was not a new thing for him. Seems he's been doing it for years. I couldn't open the links to read the article on him but sounds like he died? If that's the case, then sorry, but no love loss here. One less criminal in the world. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, he died. Best I remember, he took some of his family with him on his way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks