• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

Coonass77

I love these little Chinese chargers, I have been using them for 8 years or so, you can use one to charge both at the same time or two to charge the batteries individually, no need to isolate them to use two chargers.
And you can leave them on indefinitely as they turn themselves on and off automatically.
I concur. I've got a few of the exact same charger and use them all the time. Surprisingly good reliability and flexibility from a super cheap charger.

DEA AK

Any ideas on what this leak may be from?

I don't see where its dripping FROM, just see that its on the frame area and this 'thing.' Must be the power steering contraption?

The frame (under hoses) on the driver side has the leaked fluid on it but the hoses and fittings around them look okay.

It looks like engine oil but obviously its not near there, it's probably just dirty (whatever fluid) as its been pumped through whatever system and looks dirty after it drips off the frame.

I do have power steering. There is a slight whine, ever so slightly, so its not perfectly quiet.

I ran the truck and didn't see any dripping or spraying... oh but the power steering fluid looks white in the sight glass so I guess that means it is sucking air into it someplace? In addition to this drip/leak???

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to clean the area and actually discover where the leak is coming from, we can't tell you from a picture where it is leaking, could be a hose, a steering box or something else entirely.
The steering box is wet but that does not mean that is what is leaking or not.
BTW the two hoses visible in your second picture with the plastic spiral wrap do have engine oil in them....

DEA AK

My free guess... does it look like this ?
View attachment 909388

Steering gear box thing.

Known to leak and suck air, CAMO
Yup, that is the item I was talking about. Fluid on top of it, like it was sprayed on or dripped all over the top of it.

didn't see anything come from anyplace on the truck in that area that would indicate where the drip is from but it has to obviously be something in that area... :-/

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yup, that is the item I was talking about. Fluid on top of it, like it was sprayed on or dripped all over the top of it.

didn't see anything come from anyplace on the truck in that area that would indicate where the drip is from but it has to obviously be something in that area... :-/
Brake parts cleaner in a spray can should clean up the mess.
Then crank her up and hopefully the ooze will show its ugly face.

DEA AK

You need to clean the area and actually discover where the leak is coming from, we can't tell you from a picture where it is leaking, could be a hose, a steering box or something else entirely.
The steering box is wet but that does not mean that is what is leaking or not.
BTW the two hoses visible in your second picture with the plastic spiral wrap do have engine oil in them....
Good info - thank you.

DEA AK

Brake parts cleaner in a spray can should clean up the mess.
Then crank her up and hopefully the ooze will show its ugly face.
I cleaned her up a bit last night to see if I could find something but I am sure I need to do a better job.

And brake cleaner is for sure the way to go... really get the area clean so I can at least tell the problems starting location.

Thank you

DEA AK

Is this fitting supposed to be tight on top of the PS res? I can wiggle it around a bit... could it be sucking in air? This whole machine is a mystery, but at least its not all computerized...

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My go to when chasing this type of leak is a can of spray degreaser such as gunk to hose down the area to remove dirt and oil/grease so the fresh stuff stands out clearly. Also makes the repair slightly easier as you will hopefully stay cleaner .. :cool:

DEA AK

My go to when chasing this type of leak is a can of spray degreaser such as gunk to hose down the area to remove dirt and oil/grease so the fresh stuff stands out clearly. Also makes the repair slightly easier as you will hopefully stay cleaner .. :cool:
Thx, I used brake cleaner then wiped it down as best I could. With limited room, I had limited success but it was better than before. I am sure that I will want to de-grease everything this summer.

DEA AK

Found the leak!

It was oil, right from one of the lines that Mogman mentioned. I tightened it but will probably need to replace the seals. I haven't looked at the TM but I am assuming there's a rubber gasket in there or maybe I need to buy a whole new hose...

Attachments

DEA AK

I need to properly secure my right rear brake line but the military removed the points where it was secured to the frame. I can't seem to figure out how/where I can secure them from the underside of the truck.

I saw a video where a guy had holes cut in what looks like his bed and was thinking that might be a way to gain access to the rear brake area but the problem would be how would I secure that (cut out piece) after I removed it?

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the leak!

It was oil, right from one of the lines that Mogman mentioned. I tightened it but will probably need to replace the seals. I haven't looked at the TM but I am assuming there's a rubber gasket in there or maybe I need to buy a whole new hose...
I believe that is a jic flare fitting. No o ring.
I would unscrew, make sure interior fitting is clean with no dirt/paint and reassemble. That is reusable field fitting that can be disassembled and rubber hose replaced.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the leak!

As stated above remove the fitting and re-install it after making sure it is clean, no seals but make SURE you back up the black side with a wrench both removing and installing the fitting or you can twist/break the hard line going into the cooler.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to properly secure my right rear brake line but the military removed the points where it was secured to the frame. I can't seem to figure out how/where I can secure them from the underside of the truck.

I saw a video where a guy had holes cut in what looks like his bed and was thinking that might be a way to gain access to the rear brake area but the problem would be how would I secure that (cut out piece) after I removed it?
Look closely at the other side that is complete, it should be mounted more or less the same way only one side has shorter lines.
Did you acquire the correct lines or still trying to jury rig something?
Here is another shot of the brake lines, it is kinda backwards as #9 is the left side line and #25 is the right side line, you need all those pieces including the mounting brackets if they have been removed.
brake lines.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks