• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total destruction of all End-Use items (end of trucks???)

mistaken1

I wonder if this code change is a typo somewhere in the system by a low level clerk (3 instead of a 6) or a high level order for some nefarious reason?

colomil

Has anyone had an EUC approved for one of these cat 3 items since Jan1st 2009? I am waiting for a deuce EUC to clear and I am now sweating bullets.

What will happen to these cat 3 vehicles?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had an EUC approved for one of these cat 3 items since Jan1st 2009? I am waiting for a deuce EUC to clear and I am now sweating bullets.

From what I'm gathering from the posters here is that this will stop stuff from going to GL and what is in GL's hands before the change is safe (for now). Looks like the change happened around the first of the year and GL has sold code 3 stuff since then so I don't think it has affected the current GL inventory.

tmbrwolf

Well I can't say for sure but my understanding is that they may let the stuff in GL go through but will not send any more for sale, also they may be shipping these trucks to a central holding area for the time being, ultimately they would go the way of the M151 / M561 series vehicles, multalation beyond repair / reassembly.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Long post, so be patient.

A couple of points for foundation. SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association. They have become the de facto representative of the "car hobby". I feel the HMV hobby is (and if it isn't, it should be) aligned with the collector car hobby. Let's face it, that's what we are. Antique vehicle restorer and collectors. Antique vehicles which used to be in the military. SEMA's website: http://www.sema.org/

There have always been competing viewpoints within various elements of the US govt. that thought tactical vehicles shouldn't be surplussed. People within Congress, DOD, DLA, etc. It is impossible to know how much sway each of these collective special interests have. Obviously, since the beginning of vehicular military surplus, our interests have won, albeit with consolations and compromises.

It is also impossible to know what is going on behind closed doors. Who knows how permanent this is, it could be like a few months ago where trucks went away and came back shortly. Or it could be that this is a continuation of that earlier action. Or unrelated. Without credible inside knowledge, everything we can possibly guess at is mere conjecture.

What isn't cojecture is that we are at this point, at this time. Assuming military surplus ends, this would ruin the hobby. Truck values would skyrocket, driving enthususiasts with lower incomes out. Parts sources would dry up and what sources don't dry up could easily double or quadruple prices, as their sources for parts dry up and they have less potential buyers.

Since we can not allow that to happen, we act.

What needs to happen is an intelligent plan of action, put into place and executed.

We (the HMV hobby) are a tiny niche group. As such, we don't have much political power. Same goes for the MVPA. And the timber industry (which utilizes surplus 6x6's for their operations). And the farming industry (same as timber). And the multitude of rock guarries that use these rugged vehicles. And construction and tons of other industries and companies. Large and small. Political power is comprised of clout and money. Clout comes from voting power. Money allows you to project your message, in order to draw those who agree into your coalition and therefore increasing your voting power. Unfortunately, money can also be used to bribe, in terms of campaign contributions. It's dirty but it's the truth. Deal with it.

But, if we could align these groups into an alliance, which could speak with one undivided voice, we might be able to make headway against those with dissimilar viewpoints from ours. Bringing together all these groups would give us a much bigger voice and therefore a larger chance at success.

As the MVPA is the largest organized group, they need to head this. The President of the MVPA needs to contact SEMA and ask for help. Together, they need to talk to every single business that is in any way connected to military surplus. Ouverson Engineering, Memphis Equipment, whoever runs the timber lobby, whoever runs rock quarry lobby, etc. EVERYONE!!

This group, of united interest has to have access to the people who have the power to reverse this. If that means this group hiring a lobbyist, then do it.

And if this private effort fails, then the last resort is to take our agument public and try to enlist the average voter to help us. We allow them to ask their elected representative "Why are 20+ year old Chevy Blazers and cargo trailers being thrown away? When farmers and entrepreneurs could be using them? When the economy is in shambles?"

It won't be easy. In a Country of 300+ million people, it's hard to get your message out. And there will be plenty of people who say "Why should the general public have access to military vehicles?" and "What if a terrorist gets his hands on it?". We have to be prepared to answer those questions with answers which can not be impuned.

Not only do we have to all allay any fears, we have to neutralize the power of the argument from those who are already dead set against vehicular surplus.

Someone with access and who holds sway with the MVPA leadership needs to spearhead this. Then they need to stay on the MVPA leadership to make sure that this stays a top priority. The MVPA has to not only acknowledge but accept that the modern M-series vehicles are the future of the hobby and if surplus sales are eliminated, the hobby has no future.

Our component of this would be twofold. Lobbyists and lawyers aren't cheap. A well organized fund raising effort and a public relations program would be in order. We can't let any bad PR taint the hobby and therefore the effort.

Who can do this? Who has the personality, intelligence, time, patience, charisma and access to the right people and can use those things to get this done?

Last edited:

otisroy

I agree Clinto. Money talks, bulls**t walks.

I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but has anyone considered that there might have been a credible threat from a group using surplus MVs to gain access to an installation?

jpcj-7

Well said clinto!
I wonder, has anyone ran the NSN on a newer truck (such as the M35A3)? I don't mean to down play this, but maybe the rest of the M1009, M35A2, M35A2c, etc... in the Military's eyes are not useable any more. Just an idea... I'm still looking for that ray of hope!

otisroy

If you are going to drive onto a military base.....with ill intentions....you will die
That's usually their goal if it's a suicide attack.

And as spread out as everything is, I really dont think that you could do too much damage anyway.

2cents
I'm not giving away the farm by saying that there are installations that have individual targets of strategic or psychological value. If the FBI or other IC agency happened across information that lead them to believe that surplus MVs were part of a plot, then I could see them running to change the disposition of the vehicles.

Or, it could be just some folks that can't conceive of why we'd want to own 'em. Hey, they're happy in their Lexus SUV and they think we should be too.

dittle

I was talking to a motor Sgt. the other day and he informed me that at a couple of sites that he knew of the units were told that they were no longer allowed to purchase parts for M35A2s and that GL was going to be getting rid of all of them by the end of this year. He knew of atleast 700 Deuces that had to be auctioned this year. Don't know what this means to the reclassification but this info was after the 1st of January.

jeepin

....... Lobbyists and lawyers aren't cheap. A well organized fund raising effort and a public relations program would be in order. We can't let any bad PR taint the hobby and therefore the effort......
Who can do this? Who has the personality, intelligence, time, patience, charisma and access to the right people and can use those things to get this done?

Has anything changed with classification of surplus weapons/gear/accessories? Perhaps the NRA would have an interest in the changes?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anything changed with classification of surplus weapons/gear/accessories? Perhaps the NRA would have an interest in the changes?
Anything the NRA would be interested in hasn't been allowed out of Gov. hands in a long time. While I am a NRA member I don't think they would care about MVs. They've got their hands full with second amendment matters at the present time.

davesbf

one way to de-militarize might be a change requirement to repaint all mv's a bright orange before being considered road legal,imagine:roll:

Michael

In the past, most parts to a MV carried the same demil code as the MV. Anyone checked the NSN of any parts to see they have been changed ?

I just did a CUCV alternator and it came back Q6:

6 NON-CRITICAL FSC/FSG MLI OR NON-SENSITIVE CCLI. REQUIRES MUTILATION OVERSEAS.

Last edited:

Michael

I just ran the NSN for a multifuel engine in a can and it came back as Q6 so it may be limited to trucks and trailers.

No, just did the NSN for the generator 2920009092483 and it came back Q3.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks