• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Restoration Project

TacticalTruck

commando-72 said:
Spent a little time doing some upholstery this weekend. This is a before and after shot of the pad/s that will be installed around the vision blocks (inside the vehicle). I stripped off the old foam, glued on some new and covered with a tough vinyl.

Kells has these NOS but your look great. I also have a roll of the interior padding if you are interested.
Jeff

commando-72

Thanks, I may give him a call and get his price. Could save me a bunch of time.
Do you have any edge roll/weather stripping for the doors/hatches?

D.

19kilo

Very Nice, I know I'm just repeating what So many others have said, but regardless, Real Nice! There are 3 other V-100's that I've found for sale if ppl are interested. 1 is $95K with a turrent and in Ohio, freshly restored; 2 are in Chicago for $79.5K, one is an Airforce Model, and one is the Duel Model.

commando-72

kcimb said:
You Could just dump 8k$ or so for a semi m2HB and still win the prize for coolest DD ever....belt fed .50 cal MG.

There's also a 20mm Bolt action rifle made by...uhh..Anzio arms. Neat weapon, buying an existing weapon and modifying it to fit your turret would probably be easier than building something to fit your vehicle and turret. Oh yeah, reloading a bolt action mag fed rifle would be a little easier than reloading an m2hb or any kind of belt fed weapon, although your ROF wouldn't be nearly as much.

(Too bad you couldn't find a Cadillac gage UGWS turret from the AAV/ASV....)

Looking forward to the next installment on your project. Is this a weekend/after work sort of project?
I've already got ma-deuce....She'll be riding on top of the turret, or perhaps a Mk-19 :lol:
One of my plans is to scale-up the design of the 20mm bolt action rifle to 25mm. I've got everything I need. But that's a project on the far back burner.

The V100 is a weekend project and whenever I have a chance after work. I just wish I could do it full time.

kcimb

commando-72 said:
kcimb said:
You Could just dump 8k$ or so for a semi m2HB and still win the prize for coolest DD ever....belt fed .50 cal MG.

There's also a 20mm Bolt action rifle made by...uhh..Anzio arms. Neat weapon, buying an existing weapon and modifying it to fit your turret would probably be easier than building something to fit your vehicle and turret. Oh yeah, reloading a bolt action mag fed rifle would be a little easier than reloading an m2hb or any kind of belt fed weapon, although your ROF wouldn't be nearly as much.

(Too bad you couldn't find a Cadillac gage UGWS turret from the AAV/ASV....)

Looking forward to the next installment on your project. Is this a weekend/after work sort of project?
I've already got ma-deuce....She'll be riding on top of the turret, or perhaps a Mk-19 :lol:
One of my plans is to scale-up the design of the 20mm bolt action rifle to 25mm. I've got everything I need. But that's a project on the far back burner.

The V100 is a weekend project and whenever I have a chance after work. I just wish I could do it full time.
I'd think 25mm would be a little bit more trouble than it's worth. 20mm rounds aren't considered DDs, and as such would cost less than 25mm per round (only if 25mm rounds are not DDs themselves).

Got any 1919s? :D

commando-72

This next post will probably stir up a lot of interest.... :lol:
I decided to go diesel for the powerplant. I wanted something electronic with an automatic transmission. I chose International's T444E (V8 Turbo diesel). I purchased a 1997 Amtran school bus back in Chicago. It was coupled with an Allison 4 speed automatic and it only had 60,000 miles on it, (practically new for this model engine). I drove it trans-con back to Seattle and removed the engine. I anticipate having to modify the hull and engine mounts to make it fit, but it's totally do-able.

Thanks to a good friend, it only took a weekend to part the bus out. I'll be using quite a bit from "ol-yeller" :lol:

The beauty of doing the bus route is that I've got an intact and easy to transplant wire harness and computer that's user friendly and customize-able. I'll also be using the bus's master cylinder for when I upgrade my axles to disk brakes.

Yes, I know..... My commando will have the heart and soul of school bus. :lol:

D.

Attachments

commando-72

kcimb said:
I'd think 25mm would be a little bit more trouble than it's worth. 20mm rounds aren't considered DDs, and as such would cost less than 25mm per round (only if 25mm rounds are not DDs themselves).

Na, no trouble at all. 25mm practice/ball rounds are not DD's. If I want to go shooting HE rounds on the other hand.... then yes, each round would be a DD. I've got tons of projos and cases so I'm good to go.

I do have a 1919 and I love it. It's a great "little" gun :eek:

D.

kcimb

commando-72 said:
kcimb said:

Na, no trouble at all. 25mm practice/ball rounds are not DD's. If I want to go shooting HE rounds on the other hand.... then yes, each round would be a DD. I've got tons of projos and cases so I'm good to go.

I do have a 1919 and I love it. It's a great "little" gun :eek:

D.
I thought that 25mm was too big to not be considered a DD due to the amount of gunpowder in the casing. Guess not.

I always thought if it had more than 1/4 ounce of propellant in the case it was a DD, and each one had to be reg'ed with the atf, etc.

I just noticed you are going with a schoolbus engine. AWESOME! The torque and power is going to be amazing. It's used to moving a giant bus..now it's moving a medium sized AFV.

How much did the schoolbus weigh compared to the V100?

Oh yeah...you bear a striking resemblance to someone I knew once..who..*scratch head*...oh yeah, Minimi!

commando-72

kcimb said:

Oh yeah...you bear a striking resemblance to someone I knew once..who..*scratch head*...oh yeah, Minimi!
At 6 ft, Dr. Evil maybe, but Minimi!!! :D
The gross weight of the school bus is around 30,000 lbs. Almost twice that of the V100 (at full combat weight). So, I'll have plenty of extra torque. But I won't be "gunning it" at the stop sign. I've got to protect the transfer case. I don't want to over-torque it. But then again, maybe it's built stout enough to take it. In anycase, because it's an electronic engine/transmission I can govern the torque/power output and not have to worry.

D.

WarCloud

V100

Outstanding. As an old tanker, I'm always happy to see another warhorse saved from the scrap heap, and you sir appear to be a dedicated and highly talented restorer. This V100 has found it's way to the right guy.
Drive on, soldier.

kcimb

commando-72 said:
kcimb said:

At 6 ft, Dr. Evil maybe, but Minimi!!! :D
The gross weight of the school bus is around 30,000 lbs. Almost twice that of the V100 (at full combat weight). So, I'll have plenty of extra torque. But I won't be "gunning it" at the stop sign. I've got to protect the transfer case. I don't want to over-torque it. But then again, maybe it's built stout enough to take it. In anycase, because it's an electronic engine/transmission I can govern the torque/power output and not have to worry.

D.
Electronically controlled? Like the FMTV cat engine?

That engine must weigh a ton if it powers a school bus. I imagine you might set some new speed records in the hot-rod commando.

Okay, Okay, Dr. V100!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great! I reeelly like the way you did your turn signals and light guards.

What method did you use for the non-skid surfaces on the nose?

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks