• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to put A/C in a M925A1... anyone got pictures of their install?

My unit is not complete yet. I have it charged up but the wiring is not completely done yet. I will take it to my friends shop where he will finish the wiring. He said he needs to make a small harness to connect to main power and make a bracket to hold a few relays for the system. After I get it back from him in a few days I will drill the holes in the dash for the airvents and then I should be good to go. A few months ago when I put the evaporator box in I made an airvent that will direct the air to the defrost/floor or diect it to the vents in the dash. I am hopeing to not have to take the dash off since all the lines are plumbed back there and I just need to connect the vents which should be fairly easy. I have still yet to decide if I should mount the vents right under the dash on the drivers side orin the dash. I think I cold make it work in the dash but it would become pretty crowded. Tell me what you guys think.

I got my truck back today and it blows ice cold air! Everything on the system is working just fine and the compressor cycles like it is supposed to. The guys that were wiring up the truck said it was a pain in the patooty to do. They had to make all new harnesses and new relays but they finally got it going. The master switch for the system is the old heater blower switch. I guess tomorrow I will try to start putting in the air louvers in the dash. On the drivers side I may have to put them under the dash due to the lack of room there. Finally it is working! 99% done!

They charged $900 for the wiring and charging and they only charged me for 8 hours of work insstead of the real 20 hours they put into it. I guess it helps knowing them! The unit was 500 and a bracket for the compressor was 300. Plus probably around 100 in hardware and vents and 200 in hoses. All in all it cost me around $2,000 for the entire system. Considering I have read it cost around $4,000-$5,000 for similar installs, I think I did pretty good.

madcroc1

Parallel vs serpentine

There are generally two types of A/C flow systems for vehicles out there. I'm interested to know which one you choose. Parallel flow vs serpentine flow?

Parallel flow condenser and evap vs serpentine flow condenser and evap..

I finally finished! I took the dash apart and started making some vents for the a/c. I came up with an idea as to still have the defrost work. I took some plumbing parts which direct the "waste" a certain direction. I will try to describe it but it is in the picture. The air coming from the fan goes into a "T" for the 2 vents on for the passenger, then on one side of the T there is another T but it has a curve to it only letting the air flow one direction. On that T it goes to the defrost and to the vent in the dash. When the dash vent is open it allows air to go through it and not to the defrost. Then if you close the dash vent it forces the air up through the defrost vent. The entire setup for one side of the truck is showed and is exactly the same for the other side just with different length hoses.
I got a hole saw to drill the holes in the dash to make it a clean cut. On the drivers side I had to reposition the wiper controls in order to make space for the vent. On the passenger side I had to move a data plate and I still need to mount it to the dash. Anyways here are some pictures. And just saying my duct work may have a little redneck engineering to it but as long as it works I don't care.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374267336.005125.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374267428.411171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374267441.964929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374267466.019575.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374267481.145142.jpg

I also just took it on a 30 minute test drive an it did a very good job on cooling the cab down even though I have a soft top. Tomorrow I will try testing and seeing the actual temerature coming out of the vents.

dannyd2450

Scooter,

Im new to MV ownership and even newer to the whole "do it yourself"... But this site and the simplicity of M9's make this my newest hobby. Anyhow, I too live in Miami and would love to figure out an AC solution. Maybe we can get together and come up with a solution...

quickfarms

There are generally two types of A/C flow systems for vehicles out there. I'm interested to know which one you choose. Parallel flow vs serpentine flow?

Parallel flow condenser and evap vs serpentine flow condenser and evap..
It depends on the refrigerant. One is for R12 and one is for R134 in that order if I remember correctly

madcroc1

A/C Compressor Bracket for Cummins 8.3 6CTA 5-Ton M939

I know it still winter but, I just found a company that has several of the A/C bracket for the Cummins 8.3CTA (M939 Trucks). The bracket holds a standard compressor (I chose a Sanden 24V SD7 model).
They are asking $850 per bracket. So in order to negotiate with them, I'd like to know how many of you might be interested in the bracket. We can get a volume discount. I'm going to see if I can get them for $500 each.
Let me know how many might be interested. Below is a photo of the bracket kit installed. These photos are on a BMY Division of Harsco 1991 - M923A2 with a cummins 8.3 - 6CTA liter engine. The bracket should work on any M939 with Cummins 8.3 - 6CTA

Here is the NSN number for the bracket. Kenway Engineering build this bracket for Red Dot who intern sold them to the military for this application.

NSN # 2590-01-531-4308

IMG_2646.jpgIMG_2644.jpgIMG_2648.jpgIMG_2647.jpg

taylordc15

I know it still winter but, I just found a company that has several of the A/C bracket for the Cummins 8.3CTA (M939 Trucks). The bracket holds a standard compressor (I chose a Sanden 24V SD7 model).
They are asking $850 per bracket. So in order to negotiate with them, I'd like to know how many of you might be interested in the bracket. We can get a volume discount. I'm going to see if I can get them for $500 each.
Let me know how many might be interested. Below is a photo of the bracket kit installed. These photos are on a BMY Division of Harsco 1991 - M923A2 with a cummins 8.3 - 6CTA liter engine. The bracket should work on any M939 with Cummins 8.3 - 6CTA

Here is the NSN number for the bracket. Kenway Engineering build this bracket for Red Dot who intern sold them to the military for this application.

NSN # 2590-01-531-4308

View attachment 543918View attachment 543919View attachment 543916View attachment 543917
There is already a thread for this
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Dot-Compressor-Mount-Kit-Group-Buy&highlight=

74M35A2

I don't mean to throw a wrench in the works here, but $850 and even $500 seems like a lot of money just for a mount. I'm looking to ditch my working MV 60 amp alternator with one of higher quality and greater output, and in doing so, need to change the mount (MV uses SAE J-180 "long", which is rare). Direct from Cummins, the cast iron alternator bracket I want is $80 brand new, and appears to use the same accessory drive belt/routing/offset/tensioner/whatever as now. The 8.3L is one of the highest volume engines from Cummins ever produced, and when I see them in the civilian market, like on a Freightliner single axle road tractor, it will have an A/C compressor on it, from the factory.

I bought the proper MV A/C compressor add on kit back when I bought my M925A2, but now that I'm switching alternators, I'm likely just going to add the factory A/C bracket also which loops the serpentine belt around the compressor, which mounts the compressor above the alternator. I am guessing even doing factory new parts from a Cummins dealer, I am way less than $500 for both brackets. If one shopped truck salvage yards, it should be even less than $100. My point being, check the accessory drive layouts of civilian 8.3L engines, even just using the photos of engines for sale on eBay is enough.

Have civilian accessory drive layouts been considered? Just trying to save people some $ here, and there may be an issue I am not considering when doing so. If there is an effective alternator and/or A/C bracket available, I will post it, and my MV alternator and MV A/C compressor bracket will then be for sale!