• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING! (M35A2)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A late congratulations. My town of Comfort, Tx is upgrading their FD fleet with the Obama stimulus money. I wonder how may jobs that created since it is a voluntary FD. Anyway, I will keep an eye out for the 3 deuces they will be getting rid of. Maybe someday I can claim similar luck.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A late congratulations. My town of Comfort, Tx is upgrading their FD fleet with the Obama stimulus money. I wonder how may jobs that created since it is a voluntary FD. Anyway, I will keep an eye out for the 3 deuces they will be getting rid of. Maybe someday I can claim similar luck.
Many VFD Former MV FireTrucks are actually only ON LOAN from Uncle Sam. I got VERY LUCKY in that this one was owned by the COUNTY and on loan to the VFD. They also have another M35 and an M109 assigned to the Sheriff's Department, but they aren't being taken out of service anytime soon.

Uncle Sam's LOANER TRUCKS go back to him when the borrowers are through with them.... then they typically go through GSA AUCTIONS.com

Talk to your Fire Chief, etc. to see what your prospects are.

MacGowan

Wow! **** of a deal, indeed! I just picked up my M352A from the Marion, TX VFD yesterday! I live in Oklahoma City... left OKC at 0700hrs the day before yesterday and returned to OKC at 0700hrs this morning.
My story's similar in that I was not looking for such a monster when began looking for a replacement vehicle for my old '99 E-150 cargo van. I work with wood (cabinets, counter tops, beer mugs, etc...) and I decided it would be best to get a 4x4 pickup as a good replacement - easier to load and unload, and far more versatile than a van! After searching through adds for a week, or so, I came across a Dodge M880 with a mere 5300 miles on it, but there was something wrong with the electrical system and the owner stated it wouldn't start, so I decided to research possible solutions on MV sites when I came across an M35A2 for sale!
Initially I was a little "putt-off" by the shear size of those things, plus the fact that it's a 6x6, but the more I read about the beasts, the more I liked them!
After going through several adds, several calls and emails that were not returned, I found my old '67 here in the classifieds. She was recently retired after many years of service with the fire department, and had been garage-kept for the duration of those years. Prior to her years with the fire department she served with the Texas Nation Guard - not sure of her military service record, but would be fascinated to find out.
I called the number listed someone actually answered!! WOW! He was honest and didn't attempt to sugar-coat anything about the vehicle, so I figured it was worth a shot to take the long trip for a look.
They had a water-tank and pump installed on the bed (brush-truck), so he agreed to remove it before we came down to pick it up. After it's removal he called to notify me that there was no rust on the bed where the tank sat (something I figured was inevitable).
Chris, the Volunteer Firefighter who handled the paperwork was incredible - he even called this afternoon to make sure we made it back okay.
Anyway, the trip there was tough, as time seemed to have slowed to a stand-still (the way it always does when wish it would fly by), but once we arrived we knew it was well worth it! The old '67 was beautiful in all her glorious imperfections and she didn't disappoint when it came time to start her up - immediate start, though I could hear the crank for a split-second;)
After a quick lesson on the controls (the fire trucks have a master switch that turns on all running lights to lessen time or operator error in an emergency), and a quick look at their other M35A2, we hit the road home!
All was fine for the first 100 miles, or so - pressure, temp, fuel - all perfect, until our first fuel stop when we noticed a HUGE oil leak from what looks to be the rear main seal and a somewhat sizable diesel leak at a few places along the line (easily fixable). No other problems noted, thus far, but that rear seal leak is somewhat bothersome, as I'm perfectly aware of how HEAVY those transmissions are!! Oh well - such are the problem we encounter when choosing a vehicle without a warranty;)
She's a strong runner and there's never a question as to whether, or not the engine's on, which is slightly different than a prius;)
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to restore her to her military specs or to leave her with her current look and simply replace the top and fenders and add a little fresh paint. We'll see how I feel a year or two from now. More pics to come of the truck w/o the tank and pump in the bed.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Congrats on the "new" truck and the reasonably successful recovery :beer:

All was fine for the first 100 miles, or so - pressure, temp, fuel - all perfect, until our first fuel stop when we noticed a HUGE oil leak from what looks to be the rear main seal and a somewhat sizable diesel leak at a few places along the line (easily fixable). No other problems noted, thus far, but that rear seal leak is somewhat bothersome, as I'm perfectly aware of how HEAVY those transmissions are!! Oh well - such are the problem we encounter when choosing a vehicle without a warranty;)
May I suggest that BEFORE you get overly excited about the oil leak and possible premature diagnosis, download the TM's for these trucks.

Checking the oil should be done ONE MINUTE after shutting the engine down. This allows some of the oil from the upper cavities of the engine, but not the oil filters, to drain down to the oil pan. Then, at the ONE MINUTE mark, pull the dipstick and read it. Readings at any other time may cause over- or under-filling.

If your engine is carrying too much oil, you could have related leakage.

ALSO, overfilling of the transmission is a COMMON PROBLEM. Overfilled transmissions "self-drain" into the bellp housing. When the tranny warms up and pressure builds, they then blow past the front seal and then drop out the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing.

Check these out before prouncing your rear main seal guilty.

Our Deuce leaked from the weep hole - It turned out to be an overfilled tranny. She doesn't drip anymore and I never sucked any excess out of the tranny. I just let it "self-adjust", but monitored it OFTEN.

She was recently retired after many years of service with the fire department, and had been garage-kept for the duration of those years. Prior to her years with the fire department she served with the Texas Nation Guard - not sure of her military service record, but would be fascinated to find out.
A Member here - CARNAC - is able to research vehicle histories. Check out this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/62871-2011-vin-info-thread.html
Be sure to READ the very FIRST POST in the thread - He gives very good instructions to make it easy for him to process a request.

Again... W E L C O M E ! ! !

John
San Angelo, Tx, USA

MacGowan

John,
I appreciate the info and the WELCOME!! My gear is stowed and I can't wait to get her moving again!!! She's without part of her fuel line until tomorrow, but I'm hoping to pick a new line up tomorrow at a local Deuce Depot I just learned about!

I'm not sure the tranny is the issue, but it's possible... I suspect these use gear oil much the same as any other manual tranny? i.e., the same "stink" factor? The stuff leaking is black and doesn't wreak of gear oil, unfortunately.

I'm dealing with a few leaks - mostly minor diesel fuel leaks that will be fixed tomorrow when I can find the proper fuel line; a small leak in the steering gear box; and a leak that looks as though it's coming from the flame heater - already read about the o-ring problem and the easy fix. Shouldn't be that big a deal to fix the minor leaks, but I'm not looking forward to dropping that MONSTER tranny!!!!!!!!! I'm not even sure if my jack can reach that high, to be honest!

Spent a lot of time looking for a fuel line today at normal auto parts stores, but no luck. Any tips you have on using alternate tubing for the line between the injectors on a White? I thought about using polyethylene tubing, but it's operating temp only supports temps up to 125F. 1/4" ID plastic tubing should be easy to find, I would think...

Any help from anyone would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I've been reading through the forums and there are quite a few helpful and knowledgeable men here. I look forward to the day I meet you all at a rally at a future date when Gretchen's out of intensive care and back on the road... or OFF, preferably, where she should be!

Thanks for info about CARNAC! I'll be posting to his thread as soon as possible!

James

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent a lot of time looking for a fuel line today at normal auto parts stores, but no luck. Any tips you have on using alternate tubing for the line between the injectors on a White? I thought about using polyethylene tubing, but it's operating temp only supports temps up to 125F. 1/4" ID plastic tubing should be easy to find, I would think...

Any help from anyone would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I've been reading through the forums and there are quite a few helpful and knowledgeable men here.
James,
I've not encountered any need to find fuel lines here. I'd suggest a SEARCH using keywords that are appropriate to find things in the forums. The SEARCH function on teh site may not be the best in the world, but you'll learn alot just looking at the "scenery" while you try to find applicable info.

After trying the SEARCH, I would then start a new thread to shout-out to the troops for help. I always try a self-search myself though. I've gotten a HUGE education just wandering around that way.

Good luck, and g'nite.
John

Last edited:

MacGowan

Thanks, John. I found Midwest Hose and Specialty here in Oklahoma City - they had the proper tubing - it's even safe for jet fuel (not that I'll ever get to use it).

I've found some invaluable information here, and I'll continue to read through the posts when time allows. I jumped in my truck today to start it after repairing the diesel leaks and just about jumped out my door when the "low air pressure" buzzer went off!!rofl I read somewhere here that you can't start the truck until that buzzer stops, but it never stopped, so I called the good fire fighters at Marion County, Volunteer Fire House, and they let me know that I just can't drive it until the buzzer stops; after the pressure is built back up.
There sure is a lot to learn about these incredible trucks, and I look forward to learning it "all", or at least as much as my tiny brain can hold;)
Thanks again, John!
James
Oh, and here's a link to a few more photos: Facebook

[...]
I jumped in my truck today to start it after repairing the diesel leaks and just about jumped out my door when the "low air pressure" buzzer went off!!rofl I read somewhere here that you can't start the truck until that buzzer stops, but it never stopped, so I called the good fire fighters at Marion County, [...]

:funny:

hehe, that is a good one ! Great!

Cheers,
Mark

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, John. I found Midwest Hose and Specialty here in Oklahoma City - they had the proper tubing - it's even safe for jet fuel (not that I'll ever get to use it).

I've found some invaluable information here, and I'll continue to read through the posts when time allows. I jumped in my truck today to start it after repairing the diesel leaks and just about jumped out my door when the "low air pressure" buzzer went off!!rofl I read somewhere here that you can't start the truck until that buzzer stops, but it never stopped, so I called the good fire fighters at Marion County, Volunteer Fire House, and they let me know that I just can't drive it until the buzzer stops; after the pressure is built back up.
There sure is a lot to learn about these incredible trucks, and I look forward to learning it "all", or at least as much as my tiny brain can hold;)
Thanks again, John!
James
Oh, and here's a link to a few more photos: Facebook

You are very welcome!

As for the Low Air Pressure Buzzer....

Actually, you CAN move/drive a DEUCE without any air pressure at all. They have a form of POWER BRAKES that's called AIR OVER HYDRAULIC (Cars typically have VACCUUM ASSIST type power brakes). Anywaze... You "can" drive a Deuce without Air Pressure, but you'll need GORILLA LEGS to apply adequate force to the brake pedal if you have to panic-stop. Hence, it is HIGHLY recommended to "HEED THE BUZZER".

Hope that helps.

John

Also....
Looks like you got yourself a good truck!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BIG UGLY Brush Guard swapped for Clean Bumper

Well, we've had The ARK for a little more than a year now.

Yesterday, about two minutes before I was going to leave the office (at funeral home) for lunch (1pm-ish), the Sterling City Volunteer Fire Department's Chief called me. They have been heavily involved in the Wildcat Wildfire to their south east, north of San Angelo, that consumed 150,000ish Acres.

They had a Department meeting Monday night, and have decided to make completion of their Brushfire Truck a PRIORITY. It's a former M109A3 cab and chassis that they are building the firetruck tank etc for.

Shortly after acquiring our Deuce, I had contacted them and arranged to swap our Brush Guard/Grill Guard for their "clean" bumper. Even trade, we both would "win" in the deal.

Anywaze, the Chief called and said they were ready to swap. I asked, "When would you like to get together and do this?" (Expected maybe this weekend.) Needless to say, I was shocked when he said, "How about meeting us at the fire house at 4pm?"

Well, I'm dressed in a suit, Sterling City (pop. 982) is 40 miles out of San Angelo, The ARK needs fuel, I need to change clothes..... so I say, "SURE! I'll meet you there at 4."

So, I tell the staff that I won't be back until morning and head for the house. I grab a quick PB&J sandwich while changing, grabbing the camera, and telling my bride that I won't be home for supper - LOL. Then, I load up the Deuce - wishing I had taken the soft top off for the warm weather - and head out for fuel.

The temperature around here broke the old record of 96F yesterday, getting to 97F..... but it's a dry heat - LOL. AND, the WIND was gusting to 44mph!

I grab some fuel at WalMart and hit the highway. It's beautiful day for a drive in a Deuce - minimal traffic, lots of sun, but that dang wind is beating me up inside the cab. The insulation in the NOS soft top is dried out and dusting me with gritty black "snow". About 10 miles out of town I decide to pull over and take the top off.

I'd never taken a top off a Deuce before, but it proved to be quick and easy.

YAY! No more gritty black dust in my eyes. The wind is more tolerable since it's no longer cyclonic inside the cab. And away I go.....

My timing was perfect, rolling up to the firehouse at exactly 4pm! The place is surrounded by cars, trucks, and several Sheriff's vehicles. They had just dispatched their current brushfire truck to another wildfire (this one claimed 10,000 acres just since yesterday - it's the WIND). I find out that most of them are at the firehouse not for the fire call, but to see this "crazy guy" that has a privately owned Deuce!

After a quick potty-stop, we're off in convoy fashion to a ranch 5 miles east of Sterling City - to a shop building where the work on their truck is progressing. Best part of this is that they were so enthusiatic about our "GIFT" of the Brush Guard that they were going to handle ALL of the dirty-work. They looked like ants on a piece of melting candybar!!! I became the unit photographer.

They had the grill and bumper off their truck in about 12 minutes! (Watch out NASCAR pit crews!) Then they attacked the BIG UGLY Grill Guard on The ARK. This took a little longer because the bolts were less accessible and heavily painted. Once that was pulled, the clean bumper went on in a flash!

After the job was done, we visited and lingered, then I headed back into Sterling City for a convenience store stop. Then back onto the highway for the trip home.

The view sure is different without that BIG UGLY Brush Guard in front of the hood!

When all is said and done, I pulled in at the house just before 8pm.

The ARK ran beautifully. Kept it at 2200-2400 rpm (set the "cruise control") with an indicated speed of 50-55 mph. (Actual speed is somewhat higher thanks to the oversize tires.) Even with the fuel stop and soft-top removal on the way out, I got there in just under 75 minutes. The trip back was just a little quicker, but I still made several stops for landscape pics on that leg of the trip. (It's easy to take pics when all you have to do is stand up in the cab to take them.)

The next little project will be to camo the red grill that was inaccessible before the bumper-swap, and to paint the bumper in shades to match the rest of the cab.

Anywaze.... here are some pics for your visual pleasure.....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks