• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

FloridaAKM

I drove my Deuce to work every day for the last few days & this morning, the actuator arm for the electric wipers dropped down in my face when I hit a big bump. Looking further after stopping, the joint that fastens both arms together had wallowed out & no longer holds the assembly together. So when shutdown is over next week, I will be sourcing a new connector to install, or fabricating a new one to "improve" the assembly; that is the extent of what I did to the Deuce this weekend...@ least she is not just sitting in the yard killing grass!

Update: Sneaked in some quality work time & replaced the falling apart wipers & fixed ( the arms just came apart, so no redesigning) the operating arms so she is rain worthy next time I get to drive her. Since a member here sold me the metal upright pieces for the bulkheads, I can start to cut & install the wood to complete the rail system!

Last edited:

mhatfield

I drove mine the 675 miles from Cabool Mo. to Baraboo wisconsin. fun trip, deuce ran fantastic, and only issue I had was the leaking oil canister seal that I just changed pre-trip as part of my PM

Well after a long stretch of "I really should do something about that...." I finally ordered a new master cylinder (and rebuild kit to keep a spare handy) so I can put the deuce back on the road.

Been a long time since I could drive her and she needs to come closer to home since I moved a good bit further from my storage place.

Found a new one right around the corner and its $20 a month cheaper :cool: so soon I'll be back to playing around and putting some things back in order that are long overdue (axle boot, wiper motor, troop seat restoration.....and the list goes on)

mhatfield

Why does anyone drive a 50 year old army truck across three states. answer, a pretty girl! :) I actually moved to green bay/ De pere, yes for a pretty lady, but I have friends from my gander mountain days in Baraboo who have the space to store my big green sex machine. Actually planning to drive it north this weekend for fun. where ya at, maybe we could run into each other

Kloakndagr

Well after taking two months off because I tried really hard to cut off my left pinky, 25 stitches to reattach it, so much for my hand modeling future. I resealed all the seams on the roof, installed roof vent covers, build a solar battery box and the installed one of two 46 gallon water storage tanks. I painted my loft bed, did the finishing touches on my composting bucket toilet. I even laid out my ceramic tile pattern for my sink. It's coming along nicely even with the unscheduled delay.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after taking two months off because I tried really hard to cut off my left pinky, 25 stitches to reattach it, so much for my hand modeling future.
GET WELL SOON !

Prayers for your continued recovery.

...and remember, fingers are unlike lizard tails - they don't grow back. (If you believe that lizards' do.)

Woodsplinter

Brutus got a new CB radio this week. So far my reception is weak and almost totally static. I wonder if my placement of the antenna through the upper mirror support arms has anything to do with that. Some advice from the radio savvy among us would be greatly appreciated by usView attachment 522834View attachment 522835View attachment 522836View attachment 522837.
It's been a while since I dealt with CB radios but I remember that antennas installed in the center of the vehicles roof always performed better. Installations like yours always suffered from interference from the mirror framework. Mounting to the side of the bed like the military does might give better results.

Also, the antenna itself is critical. First it must be tuned to the set after the antenna location is selected. Antenna length is important and is usually fine tuned during the tuning process. I don't know if antenna material is important. (Back in the day, all of ours were metal).

Hopefully a real expert will chime in with current technical info.

AvrgJoe

Only had the Deuce about a month, as I get to know her better & better I venture out further. Ran down to the local Home Depot Sunday, didn't really need anything I just love Home Depot. Only about an hour drive round trip but it's further than I've gone yet.

Attachments

wilfreeman

Only had the Deuce about a month, as I get to know her better & better I venture out further. Ran down to the local Home Depot Sunday, didn't really need anything I just love Home Depot. Only about an hour drive round trip but it's further than I've gone yet.
Home Depot is always fun! I usually park pretty far away from other vehicles at the back of the lot. Almost every time I come back out there is someone looking at it - usually a father and son on the weekends. Of course, this always leads into talking about the truck and burning up my allotted project time! I guess I could just take the pickup, but where is the fun in that?

DieselBob

Same way with me when I first got my deuce. You start to get use to the different vibrations, noises and idiosyncrasy of the truck and get comfortable with a 40 year old vehicle you actually have to drive and pay attention to.

wilfreeman

Hey Ralph, how did you do your battery connections? I converted ours to the civvy 24v alternator and also bought the 12v brackets at the same time, but haven't installed it yet. I was thinking about adding a fuse block under the dash or hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks