• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

TsgtB

I put new seals on my drivers side rear (that inner is a pain to get off).
Whoever came up with the 3" PVC driver idea was a GENIUS...
Cleaning the 90wt from the inside of an MRAP wheel without a water hose, in the dark was FUN.
Wifey has already put away the garden hoses for winter... Just need to put the wheel back on but
I want to pull and check my trunion caps and lube them while its more accessible.
I noticed one of my zerks on the bottom of the trunion is broken off... hope O'riely's has one.

Seth_O

Ground the heads off of the spring clamp to frame, then heated all around the rivet pin , on both sides. lots of hammering, with only 1/8" of movement. How do I get these out?
I used an O/A torch, blew them out in a few seconds each w/o damaging the frame. Unfortunately it wasn't until the last few that I thought about it. For the first many I ground the heads off and then used a heavy pin plus large steel hammer to pound them out. Effective; but tedious, time-consuming and very tiring.

HanksDeuce

Ground the heads off of the spring clamp to frame, then heated all around the rivet pin , on both sides. lots of hammering, with only 1/8" of movement. How do I get these out?
View this direct linked post from my build thread for removing rivets from the factory deuce frame. Bit sizes are 1/4" and 1/2". Drill halfway through the rivet. Then beat it out with a few whacks from a BFH and a punch. For those non-steelworker or non-carpenter types like me I clamp the end of the punch in a pair of vise grips and pound away. No mashed fingers here!

rustystud

Travel plans for Alaska!?

I must have slept through those posts or something. Did you already mention this somewhere, rustystud?

And Alaska is one BIG place. What part of the State are you thinking about checking out?
My father helped build the "ALCAN" highway before WWII . He wasn't in the military then but was working for a supplier that brought in materials for the military crews. He drove a 1930's 4 ton flatbed IHC. He had all these pictures in his photo album from that time and also his time in the war. I used to look through that old album and he would tell me stories of what it was like then. He still had the "mukluks" he bought from an "Inuit" native, and his picture of him and his sled dogs.
My father passed away years before my son was born, so he never got the chance to hear his stories. So since I have always wanted to go and see this highway myself and I wanted for my son to see what his grandfather had helped build, I came across the idea of the "Great Alaskan Expedition" ! I will of course be taking the deuce and my M105 trailer. It just seemed more fitting that way ! The 60th anniversary of the highway is coming up and I hope to have my truck ready for it.
Also I must do this trip before my physical condition prevents me. I have had over 28 major surgeries. I have new knees and a rod up my back. My shoulders have been rebuilt with all sorts of pins and such holding them together. I should have gone into a different profession instead of heavy truck repair ! I have had so many shots of cortisone (over 100 in 10 years) I developed cataracts in both eyes and had to have my lenses replaced. My wife doesn't think this is such a good idea and that maybe I should try a shorter trip. A much shorter trip ! I of course disagree. As the Bible says "without Hope the people perish" . So I have hope I can do it !

Kloakndagr

Well this week California DMV sent my new title for my "Housecar", now with current tags and insurance I'm stoked! Finished the install of an Airhead composting toilet, tucked up wires for the rear view camera install. I also painted the interior metal "studs" of my 28 foot car hauler trailer that's being towed behind my duece-- pulling the Harley amd supplies. Had enough of California, time to move somewhere AWAY FROM PEOPLE. Yes, I'm antisocial. 17 years law enforcement does that to ya.

Last edited:

rustystud

Hey Rusty, Please share with us who that recommended stainless fitting vendor is...Also, it your recent picture, what is that guage for? Is it a thermometer? For what?
Here's the vender I use. http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.c...s_s/2003.htm?gclid=CLPltKrEh8kCFdKGfgodiw0Jow They seem to have the best quality and prices and they ship really fast too !
The gauge is my fuel pressure gauge. I have one at the entrance to my filters and the exit. This way I can monitor the filters to see if they need changing. If there is a pressure difference of more then 5 psi then the filters need changing.
It also allows me to monitor the injection pump boost pump pressure. I keep my pressure at 70psi with that new pressure regulator. It has an external knob to adjust the bypass pressure.

Another Ahab

My wife doesn't think this is such a good idea and that maybe I should try a shorter trip. A much shorter trip ! I of course disagree. As the Bible says "without Hope the people perish" . So I have hope I can do it !
You got me solid in your corner, Brother. I like your plan. Go, rustystud!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another Ahab

On Thursday of this week, I worked our Deuce HARD.... Took her on a 110+ road trip from San Angelo to Midland, TX to recover our recently acquired M818 Tractor.

Will soon be posting an AAR (After Action Report) in the thread about the M818.....
Watch for the AAR here...
Carry on.
All KINDS of new threads I've been missing I see:

- I need to get out more!

Thanks for the links, ColdWarrior.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well I just finished cleaning the cab of my Deuce,....

Its all clean inside now.

Even washed the widows and windscreen.

Adjusted up the park brake as it was at maximum adjustment and didn't hold it at all.
I had to wind in the adjustment nut over an inch.

All I have to do now is grease the drivetrain and suspension and clean the engine bay and maybe change out a few light globes.

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks