• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

kml9705

I like the looks of that VHF. Do you mind sharing the info/stats?
Both radios are Motorola CDM 1550, one in VHF and one in UHF. remote heads installed on both with the main body of the radios under the drivers seat. I have the auxiliary speaker wired from the radio into the aux input of the VIC 4 intercom. I can hear the radios through the headsets. I would like to figure out how to fully integrate the radios into the VIC 4 intercom so I can talk through it as well. But that is beyond my skill level. Power to the radios comes from a 24v to 12v converter and 12v fuse panel also mounted under the drivers seat. Wires to the remote heads run under the cab floor and up through the fire wall to keep the wires off the floor.

Here is a pic of the UHF radio, converter and fuse panel under the seat. This was before I added the VHF.

Radio.jpg

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scored a SMOKIN deal on a brand new set of 385's from a guy moving his shop out of state. He didn't want to have to move the tires and wheels so he let them go stupid cheap.Before and after pics. I didn't realize previously how silly the stock NDT's looked. These fill out the wheel-well much more nicely.
View attachment 702971View attachment 702970
Now ditch the spare tire assembly & add a 2nd fuel tank to boost your range.

rustystud

View attachment 703181
I decided axle boots and king pin bushings are not miserable enough to do, so I did them in the rain! FOB-style repair setup.
View attachment 703182

OK, that was funny !
I loved doing King-Pin work though. I even own two large truck king-pin press's . At work we had this 100 ton portable press. It took two men and a boy to move, but it was considered a "portable" unit. I did so many king-pin jobs they used to keep the bushing reamer by my tool box.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I am going to finish replacing the fuel filters in the new to me Deuce & see if she will start. If that works, the oil & filters will be next. A Deuce that has just been let go from the military in top shape is not a reality now days, just a pipe dream! Still worth the trip!

Another Ahab

OK, that was funny !
I loved doing King-Pin work though. I even own two large truck king-pin press's . At work we had this 100 ton portable press. It took two mean and a boy to move, but it was considered a "portable" unit. I did so many king-pin jobs they used to keep the bushing reamer by my tool box.
I'm glad for you that's the ONLY place they put that reamer when you came to mind. :whistle::naner:

Kharville

While doing some complete front axle work this week I had my first "doooh" moment when I remembered the following is a lie with a Deuce driver's side wheel. "Leftie Lucy, righty tighty". hahahahahahahahaaua

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine crawled onto the gooseneck in preparation to go to its new home this week.

It got some new brake line a couple of days ago. It has a NOS airpack on the way. I'm pressed for time, so the airpack is going to get delivered and installed at handoff. That'll make a good opportunity to go over the brake system with the new owner.

View attachment 702041
So today, the new owner, me, the truck, and the new airpack were all in the same place at the same time.

It took about two hours to swap out the airpack at a very leisurely and careful pace.

The new owner has been working his way through the lube order, and has added a battery cut off.

It's a good truck and I'm glad to see it going to a good owner.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today, the new owner, me, the truck, and the new airpack were all in the same place at the same time.

It took about two hours to swap out the airpack at a very leisurely and careful pace.

The new owner has been working his way through the lube order, and has added a battery cut off.

It's a good truck and I'm glad to see it going to a good owner.
98G, is the new owner a member??

rustystud

I'm glad for you that's the ONLY place they put that reamer when you came to mind. :whistle::naner:
No kidding !
It was funny. For some reason most of the other mechanics did not like doing "King-Pin" jobs. Seems they where more then happy to let me do them all. It did get kind of annoying when they started leaving that "portable" king-pin press by my tool box though.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a brand new Rampage model K-4768QAM/FM cassette player. Found it new, still in its bubble pack. Then I found a box of Christmas cassettes. Now I've got a real system that shouldn't fry my batteries. Also getting the truck Christmas lights functioning again. Last year I fried the radio set up I had been using failed in the middle of the Christmas parade. Pictures to come once I recharge my phone..

Seth_O

I drove mine about an hour and a half to my brothers house. He lives on a steep slope (navigable, with effort) and he felled a bunch of 40'+ digger pines. His house and the road are at the TOP of the slope, the trees naturally fell downhill.

His neighbor very loudly wondered "what is that idiot doing? How the heck is he going to get 'em up the hill?"

The answer was the deuce w/w and tackle gear. Easily pulled all the trees up the hill (including one that was probably 70' long and 6-7k lbs) and conveniently de-limbed them at the same time.

We pulled a tree up to the bumper, cut off 20-30' of it and roll it to the side, then pull the rest up to the bumper and repeat. Took about 4 hrs, but we got them all.

20171014_152028.jpg20171014_152046.jpg

Maverick1701

I'm getting a list of stuff to knock out this week (I'm attending a big jeep event about 140mi away in Amarillo (I live in Lubbock).

1. Valve adjustment
2. finish my lubrication maintenance I started last week
3. front/drivers axle boot replacement
4. move around some tires since my fronts are cupping on the outer edge (I'll do a "real" fix later)
5. change oil filters (maybe fuel too)
6. maybe more if I have time.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a brand new Rampage model K-4768QAM/FM cassette player. Found it new, still in its bubble pack. Then I found a box of Christmas cassettes. Now I've got a real system that shouldn't fry my batteries. Also getting the truck Christmas lights functioning again. Last year I fried the radio set up I had been using failed in the middle of the Christmas parade. Pictures to come once I recharge my phone..
Thumbs up for the cassette player! Best of all - nobody will steal it, even from an unlocked cab! :D

Maverick1701

I knocked out about half of my "amarillo road trip" list.

Todays jobs include:

1. made a "real"/hard mount for my intercom system. I also moved it from its planed location between the windows to down below the dash. I didn't even have to drill any holes in the dash (there was a stock unused hole right there). I found a space L bracket, drilled some holes in the bracket & comm box, and ta-da...done!

2. I installed and mounted my dual battery monitor. It's only in there temporarily with double sided tape since I didn't want to drill into my dash.

3. I checked differential fluids in all three axles & hit up all the lubrication points with some grease

4. I painted the interior of my hard top. Since I first got the top (back in 2010) it had this horrible teal green color on the interior. My eyes just couldn't take it anymore

5. I also moved my remote brake reservoir from behind the drivers seat (where I first installed it) to under the hood behind the drivers side access panel.

Tomorrows jobs are: valve adjustment, wheel/tire rotation, check tire pressure (I'm going to try a little higher front tire pressure for this trip. I read it might help with cupping), front drivers axle boot replacement, and a few more odds & ends.

First layer of paint in the hard top:

20171017_170535.jpg

dual battery monitor & intercom mounted
20171017_170553.jpg

Intercom mounting solution
20171017_161417.jpg

Original Location I had planned for the intercom box (it's just held in with zip ties for placement testing here in the pic)
20170914_155122.jpg

Final Mounting location of the intercom box
20171017_162044.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Today I knocked out my first axle boot replacement. It went surprisingly well. I had read horror stories of having to use clamps to hold the boot/wire in place and needing extra people, etc. It went on w/out any issues.

After installing the new drivers boot, I checked the pass boot and it's in worse shape than the boot I removed from the drivers side, so I'm going to flip the old drivers boot 180* and install it on the pass side tomorrow (so the small tear is on top vs bottom and I'll tape the hole enough to get me by for the weekend). After this weekend trip, I'll order a new one for the pass side (I don't have time to get a new one here before we head out).

The valve adjustment was a failure. I really needed soldier #2 to turn the drive shaft while I watched the valves. However, it did give me a chance to examine the valves of the engine to check for anything major. Thankfully everything looked and sounded normal.

Video of truck running with valve covers removed:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD0air54LoU

Valve covers removed:

20171018_134756.jpg

new boot:
20171018_162418.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks