• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mos68x

How are you doing the half tracks? Does the circumference change as it articulates? A place nearby makes tracks for skid loaders and I've often wondered if they would work.
The only time it'll change size is when you completely unload the axles or if you put the spring under max load, but considering these springs are nearly completely flat it shouldn't change much. Im thinkin to have it setup hanging above the tire's and drop over the tire's when needed and then drive over them to help in deployment. I haven't got to the math just yet so I hope that there is going to be enough length under the bed to hang them.

71DeuceAK

Mos68X, those pix were really informative to me as someone who wants a long-wheelbase/bed version myself, how well they do off-road. Not bad seeing your profile photo. When I get myself an M927 or M928 I'd definitely still hit the trails.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well did about 100 miles of test drives. Still going thru wiring everything up and just little crap. Was glad to have my Air conditioning charged back up and working. Got her painted with 383 and black camo for her big date in Georgia next month. Did not go with any brown though. Got both windshields and door glass replaced for $180 installed so I went that route. Glass was getting a little old and hard to see thru. New Troop Seats as well.

Ran my oil lines for the engine thru the cooler on the aluminum radiator. I will be using the fitting for the Allison temp gauge to show the oil temp. Engine seems to like it though as it never builds to half way. The new trans does not have a cooler installed so the engine is not seeing much heat at all. Trans temp is below 160.

I will add some pics tomorrow. Dang tapatalk is being stupid about not uploading this evening.

winfred

my iphone won't upload pics either and i am not using the app, only way ive been able to load pics for the last couple weeks is to use my computer, it looks like everything works using the phone but the pic doesn't show up, have noticed other comments so maybe its not on our end, not sure on the different phone brands if theres a difference

I will add some pics tomorrow. Dang tapatalk is being stupid about not uploading this evening.

Mos68x

Well did about 100 miles of test drives. Still going thru wiring everything up and just little crap. Was glad to have my Air conditioning charged back up and working. Got her painted with 383 and black camo for her big date in Georgia next month. Did not go with any brown though. Got both windshields and door glass replaced for $180 installed so I went that route. Glass was getting a little old and hard to see thru. New Troop Seats as well.

Ran my oil lines for the engine thru the cooler on the aluminum radiator. I will be using the fitting for the Allison temp gauge to show the oil temp. Engine seems to like it though as it never builds to half way. The new trans does not have a cooler installed so the engine is not seeing much heat at all. Trans temp is below 160.

Where did you get the glass from? I've been wondering about that for when I need to replace mine.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Word of warning.

Pay VERY close attention to the batteries and battery cables when you get your rig.

In pulling out the bad batteries, I noticed that one was different age and manufacturer, which definitely could be the cause of the self discharge problem that killed my batts.

I also triple checked the lugs, and found the slave port positive lug wasn't crimped properly, and the luv was being held on by the heat shrink, which is why I was having a **** of a time starting it even when slaved....

To further that, one of the lugs had sheared at the bottom which wasn't visible unless disconnected. Clearly hidden by soldier B to avoid more work..

And.. On top of THAT....the cable that was loose was a + wire, which was arcing against the bottom of the bench seat when I hit a bump.

So, people, when checking your stuff, be thorough... It'll save you headache in the long run. I thought I was pretty thorough pulling on all the leads to make sure they were crimped properly, but I could only tell how bad it was when I disconnected everything to replace the batts.

So, remove the batt. cables and connectors when checking them, a firm tug won't always do...

Oh, and I got my batt switch installed, but need to finish wiring, installing batts, etc. at a later date.

Last edited:

Willyk

Won a car show!

Entered my 923a2 into a local car show at the high school. Fundraiser for the hockey team. I took off the cargo cover and gave the kids a ride for a photo op. The hockey team voted for me to win! And won! Got a trophy! The other 100 folks who entered their Cars and trucks weren't too happy. Out there waxing and buffing, Ha! I didn't even clean the acorns and tree sap off it!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5-tons are winners wherever they go. Chicks from 18-80 dig them. Guys, with any testosterone, get a bit green.

They rock.

Congrats on the trophy.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Word of warning.

Pay VERY close attention to the batteries and battery cables when you get your rig.

In pulling out the bad batteries, I noticed that one was different age and manufacturer, which definitely could be the cause of the self discharge problem that killed my batts.

I also triple checked the lugs, and found the slave port positive lug wasn't crimped properly, and the luv was being held on by the heat shrink, which is why I was having a **** of a time starting it even when slaved....

To further that, one of the lugs had sheared at the bottom which wasn't visible unless disconnected. Clearly hidden by soldier B to avoid more work..

And.. On top of THAT....the cable that was loose was a + wire, which was arcing against the bottom of the bench seat when I hit a bump.

So, people, when checking your stuff, be thorough... It'll save you headache in the long run. I thought I was pretty thorough pulling on all the leads to make sure they were crimped properly, but I could only tell how bad it was when I disconnected everything to replace the batts.

So, remove the batt. cables and connectors when checking them, a firm tug won't always do...

Oh, and I got my batt switch installed, but need to finish wiring, installing batts, etc. at a later date.
I seem to remember your truck has an NHC250. Don't forget to check the Positive cable going to the starter, where it rubs on the rear corner of the block. Would be a shame to do all that work and still end up with a short....a BIG short. Didn't see you mention it and above so figured I'd bring it up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed a shut off valve for the ppv side in case of a major leak on that side. I know the ppv closes at 60psi but the trans kicks off as well. Just easier to shut the whole system off if need be till a repair can be done

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may seem a bit odd at first, but stick with me.

I replaced one one of my headlights. Amazon occasionally has "warehouse specials" where a part is slightly damaged, or the box is missing/damaged. Saw this Harley Davidson Daymaker (Chinese version, I'm sure). DOT approved headlight for $17. Yeah. I'll try that. If it works, it's evil twin is only $60 so, it's a good gamble.
IMG_0940.jpg
Hooked it up, found that the bucket was to big? Or was it the light was too big? Anyway, the inner lip on the bucket got some grinding work until it fit perfectly.

At first glance I can see its way better than the H4 lights it has now. Very impressed with the light output. So, I ordered the other light.

Now, we see how long it lasts. That is the true test of the Chinese version of the Harley light.

How long would the JW Speaker light, that looks the same, last? Is it brighter? I dunno, but I do know I just can't bring myself to spend $300 or $450, or $600 or sometimes much more, in the case of some of these lights. If this one lasts, then it was a good deal. If it doesn't last, then hopefully I got my $77 out of it.

We will see!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks