• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20170921_185503.jpg20170921_184704.jpg

New batts. New lugs. Temporary strap. Battery cutoff. Room to add 2 more batts and can isolate when not in use so don't have to worry about dissimilar batteries self discharging.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you ABS lite is on and your back window is busted out also, you fiend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That picture was taken while he was on the towbar behind Simp's truck, because he ran out of fuel that time. Not sure which particular time though. Just pick one...you have a 20% chance of being right...

:mrgreen:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
saw those and wondered if they were the suck or not
I look at the rating. If the 4 and 5 star ratings are close to 90%, and there are numerous ratings, (over 100) I'll give it a shot. This had 220 ratings and 90% were 4&5 star. Done.

Im not going to say these are the same as JW Speaker lights, but, ironically, both of them have 90% 4&5 star ratings. JW were $490/pair. I just can't justify that. Maybe it is worth it, maybe I need to learn my lesson on cheap lights first? I dunno. This is the route I have chosen! Let's see what happens.

Time will tell. If they don't make it a year, I'll trade them in and buy something different next time. I did it because it was a low priced opportunity to test out a different kind of light. Not sure I would have done it at full price without having tested them first, but the "scratch and dent" model at $17, was enough to make me do it!

The new one showed up yesterday, so I'll probably install today and give it a night run to see what it looks like. Wish I would have thought about a before and after shot, but I'm not taking it apart to do that. Sorry. :(

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 700555View attachment 700556

New batts. New lugs. Temporary strap. Battery cutoff. Room to add 2 more batts and can isolate when not in use so don't have to worry about dissimilar batteries self discharging.
Are those Group 31 batteries? If so, I still have the battery retainer I made from when I had a 2 battery setup. It uses 2 of the factory retainer rods to secure it. It's well made but I'll never need it again. Yours for the cost of shipping if interested...

20170922_064506.jpg

20170922_064519.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought this air tank a couple years ago to add to the air system on my truck. It's been kicked, thrown and just about thrown away many times because it's always in the way. I decided it was time to put it to use...

I think this was was a tank from a HEMTT but the sticker with the NSN on it is long gone. It is a single chamber tank and some quick measurements/math show it being 2.86 times larger than the factory tanks. I didn't figure capacity because I'm lazy but it's basically adding 2-1/2 factory tanks to the system.

I wanted to mount it under the bed but it just wouldn't fit. I don't use the spare tire rack so this made for an accessible mounting location since I planned to add a standard air chuck. It is mounted in what would be unused space anyways, because the box I plan to mount in the rack doesn't go that far back.

I made some U-bolts out of 3/8" all-thread. I used some Parker push-to-connect DOT fittings and 1/2" DOT air line from an MRAP kit to tie it all in. The line ties in before the wet tank. With the supply line connected to the bottom of the tank and the supply line running downhill to the wet tank, another drain valve is not needed. Any moisture that makes it past the air dryer, which I never have, will end up in the wet tank and can be drained from there.

The main reason for adding the tank was for my bed crane. It has an air over hydraulic lift cylinder but the factory air system doesn't have enough capacity to raise the boom all the way up before it runs out. A secondary benefit is extra capacity during tight maneuvering in the woods. I can make 4 full pedal applications and only drop 5 psi on the gauges now.

20170919_135903.jpg

20170919_172201.jpg

20170922_061724.jpg

74M35A2

Looks like you ABS lite is on and your back window is busted out also, you fiend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
High speed model. It will soon be the fastest 9 with a broken back window. I leave it just so all of you will have something to talk about.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those Group 31 batteries? If so, I still have the battery retainer I made from when I had a 2 battery setup. It uses 2 of the factory retainer rods to secure it. It's well made but I'll never need it again. Yours for the cost of shipping if interested...

View attachment 700559

View attachment 700560
Group 65s

Higher CCA but lower reserve.

They cranked over for a bit without issue, as I had just replaced the PT pump after fixing a couple leaks...

I definitely appreciate the offer, but I got L channel I'm gonna be using.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced my main Abs valve that was leaking with an R8 valve off a non abs 939. Costs about $20.

Trying to find air leaks and crap. I have an issue that the truck wont build past 70 or so at idle. Rev up itll build air. Let it idle it drops on the secondary side. Found a few air leaks and fixed em. Secondary still drops with ppv side closed and primary side closed. Compressor is running all the time. Purge valve is not stuck open. It is not massively dumping air with the pedal applied. I sprayed just about every air fitting on the truck.

One way primary valve is leaking over as well. It must be a good leak as itll drop 20lbs of air in 15 seconds when the truck is running. I did replace the governor with a good one. I am working on it as best i can. And will look at it tomorrow.

Installed some new battery terminals as well And changed the oil.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 700559

View attachment 700560
SD, if it's still up for grabs, I'd like it please. Thanks. Will PM.

kungfu dave

This week I attempted to stop my roof leak. I have the ROPS cab on my M939A2 and the turret cover would leak periodically. I tried to loosen one of the bolts on top w/a wrench and wound up sheering it off. I would prefer not to do this to the rest of them so I am hoping one of you guys has experience with breaking them loose, without actually breaking them. I have tried soaking the top ones with no luck. Not sure how to address the ones in the cab as they are upside down.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This week I attempted to stop my roof leak. I have the ROPS cab on my M939A2 and the turret cover would leak periodically. I tried to loosen one of the bolts on top w/a wrench and wound up sheering it off. I would prefer not to do this to the rest of them so I am hoping one of you guys has experience with breaking them loose, without actually breaking them. I have tried soaking the top ones with no luck. Not sure how to address the ones in the cab as they are upside down.
Kroil

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kroil was my favorite rust bolt loosener and gun cleaner until someone told me about the one penetrating oil that outperformed Kroil in a rusty bolt scientific test.

50:50 ATF and Acetone. It works, and you don’t have to be really cautious with it because of the cost. ATF and Acetone are not nearly as expensive as Kroil.

Since s I can’t see your inner bolts, see if there is a practical way to fill a cup with the mixture and hold the filled container up so the threads get soaked? May not be possible. Any way to get at those threads from the outside?

Good lick. Try the Acetone ATF fluid mix. It’s stinky, but so was Kroil.

Replaced my main Abs valve that was leaking with an R8 valve off a non abs 939. Costs about $20.

Trying to find air leaks and crap. I have an issue that the truck wont build past 70 or so at idle. Rev up itll build air. Let it idle it drops on the secondary side. Found a few air leaks and fixed em. Secondary still drops with ppv side closed and primary side closed. Compressor is running all the time. Purge valve is not stuck open. It is not massively dumping air with the pedal applied. I sprayed just about every air fitting on the truck.

One way primary valve is leaking over as well. It must be a good leak as itll drop 20lbs of air in 15 seconds when the truck is running. I did replace the governor with a good one. I am working on it as best i can. And will look at it tomorrow.

Installed some new battery terminals as well And changed the oil.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Whats the unloader valve in the compressor look like? I chased my tail until i finally broke down and rebuilt it. Im guessing it had issues since i brought it home. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/WtqQSOiOw1A https://youtu.be/vHfMkSyvR6M https://youtu.be/156i5hxyI4g
Did some testing of my new hoist setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks