• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsh4364

Ater reading about swollen glowplugs I became paranoid about it happening to me,so I pulled my autolite 1112 fast starts and put in the 60s,they looked great even though I cycled almost twice the 7 seconds ,at least now i dont have to worry about swelling whenever i start now,also installed door striker bolts and ordered my tailgate cables,and I finally made contact with a local guy who has 4-5 civ.blazers sitting around...may have scored a pair of rear sliding side windows Are those really land mines ?

Last edited:

chief1983

My tailgate cables didn't come with the springs that make sure the cable stays tucked when you shut it, anyone know where to get new ones of that? One of mine is broke and the other is probably going to break soon. LMC wants $35 a pop...

richingalveston

If it is just the tip of the spring that wraps around the cable, you can use some small wire to tie that end around the cable, thats what I did with mine. I do not have pics but could get you one. If it is broken elsewhere you probably can not fix.
yes for some reason LMC charges a lot for these.

Vhyle

Re-wired both taillights. The wiring at the sockets under the bed were all sliced and screwed up, so I had some erratic and semi-functioning taillights. Now they're good to go.

chevyCUCV

I changed my fuel filters the other day, then filled up my tank with black diesel:-D

Checked fluids, topped up power steering and brake fluid... Where did my brake fluid go?

Other than that it is running good.

wayne pick

I did an engine oil and fuel filter PM today. Fuel in the old filter was foggy green in color. I will have to draw a sample from the fuel tank. I didn't have the proper tubing to do so today.

scottladdy

Speedometer Cable and Tail Lights

M1009 - Found and fixed an annoying rattle that would only show up when stopped in gear:doghead:. Been living with it for months. It was a doozie to diagnose. Sounded loud and clear in the cabin. Chocked the wheels, locked the e-brake and poked around all under the dash trying to find it. Finally found it, under the hood. Now I now why GM put that clamp on the booster hoses under the master cylinder. If the metal part of those hoses are in contact with each other and not secured, they rattle and ring like a bell out of tune. That clamp is missing on my truck, so anyone know where to get one? Now, the only rattle left is the ashtray. Going to fix that one soon. Really quiet for a diesel in the cabin. Can't wait to see how quiet she is with the hood insulation I am going to get come Spring. Repaired the drivers side backup light. Now I can see on "my" side of the truck when backing up :-D.

M1008A1 - Cleaned up the dash today. Replaced all the bulbs and got everything working. Now, the e-brake light and 4wd light are working again :mrgreen:. Had to repair the volt meter light socket. The crimp was pretty weak from the factory and pulled right out with no effort aua. I soldered it back up with the assistance of my lovely bride. Replaced the speedometer cable with AC Delco #88959481 sourced from RockAuto. This is the superseding part to our original equipment piece. The speedo was doing the "dance" in the cold weather. Figured it needed to be replaced. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, will report back as soon as that is done.

Replaced the taillight assemblies on both trucks with TYC 11-1282-01 (Right) and TYC 11-1283-01 (Left) also from RockAuto. Nice pieces for just a few sheckles. From posts and pics I've seen these same pieces have been sourced from LMC for a few sheckles more.

Next up - Replace the radiator (pinhole leak) and defective block heater (Kat's from NAPA, got replacement under warranty No Questions Asked) on the M1008A1.

These trucks are incredibly reliable. Very low mileage, fuel efficient and loads of fun to drive. The more I do to them, the better they get.

northeastm1009

Lift and Tires

Installed 2.5 inch Rough Country lift and 33" mudders this weekend. Next on the list is fixing the coolant leak. I think it's coming from a bad rear freeze plug. If i am right do i need to drop the tranny in order to access the rear freeze plugs?!

Cucvnut

My rear springs were toast! So i swapped them out with some stock suburban springs added an over load and a zero rate and it has no more saggy butt! It rides way better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks