• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a “done to” but a “done with”. Took mine out for a little ride this morning to test out the centramatic balancers I’d installed a few days ago. They work great. Think I’ll keep them. Brought truck inside to putter around under the hood and our new dog “Hudson” (i got outvoted) finally decided to come into the garage to poke around. I helped him into the back just to get him used to the sounds, smells and view. Have a seat cover on order for the commander’s seat for him. Cone of shame comes off Sunday.

View attachment 710838

He’s definitely found “his spot.” He got right in and went to sleep while I was working on some hoses a while later.

View attachment 710839
Good looking dog Norm. He will make a fine co pilot. I cannot go anywhere in the 998 without my dog tagging along

View attachment 710827
Great pics ! Beautiful animals too. (Even with that Cone-of-Shame.)

By the way... Did y'all know that there is a SS Thread for posting Pics of our Pets & MV's? Here's the link...

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...t-Friends-Your-MV-amp-your-pet-post-a-picture!

That thread has been dormant since March. Might be time to revitalize it.

twisted60

Picked mine up yesterday, today she got a bath, she was a dirty little girl. Still needs more scrubbing but it's a start. Posed her next to her big brother. Pulled up the rear covers but did not find any hidden treasure. Tomorrow the 5 ton and I are going to a Toys For Tot's event, so the little girl will not get much attention. But Sunday I plan to start a more detailed check under her skirt. Maybe do the fluids and filters.

fullsizeoutput_1310.jpg

suzukovich

Suprise. Found out why the diff was shot. Someone at Main where the truck was rebuilt, forgot to put the flange nut on. 4 bolts from the half shaft holding everything together. Flange was shot, so was the dif.the other side had a bolt nut seals shot.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

FKAM

Suprise. Found out why the diff was shot. Someone at Main where the truck was rebuilt, forgot to put the flange nut on. 4 bolts from the half shaft holding everything together. Flange was shot, so was the dif.the other side had a bolt nut seals shot.
Wow! Good Post! Mine went through a rebuild prior to sale and now I think I'd better look at the flange nuts on mine. I've developed a bang in the drive train when I shift into gear that I haven't been able to locate. Replaced all the u-joints and checked the half shafts. You've given me someplace else to check. Just wish I had your lift and weather!

suzukovich

Wow! Good Post! Mine went through a rebuild prior to sale and now I think I'd better look at the flange nuts on mine. I've developed a bang in the drive train when I shift into gear that I haven't been able to locate. Replaced all the u-joints and checked the half shafts. You've given me someplace else to check. Just wish I had your lift and weather!
When we opened the dif cover awhile back there was a lot of metal in the diff fluid. Cleaned and refilled. Checked again 2 weeks ago, found a lot more metal. That pretty much confirmed that the diff needed to be replaced. Discovering the flange bolt missing was a complete surprise. Definitely a quality control issue. You wonder how many others are out there.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

kcobean

My left rear x-door simply would not close. If I raised it up high enough to align with the striker, it hit the roof support at the top. So, today, in the snow, I detached the roof on that corner and installed some fender washers between it and the C-pillar and I raised the door frame/roof support bar up about 1/2" and bolted it all back down. Readjusted the door to take advantage of the newly created space between it and the roof, installed some 1/4" fender washers under the latch mechanism and now it's the easiest closing door on the truck.

Action

My left rear x-door simply would not close. If I raised it up high enough to align with the striker, it hit the roof support at the top. So, today, in the snow, I detached the roof on that corner and installed some fender washers between it and the C-pillar and I raised the door frame/roof support bar up about 1/2" and bolted it all back down. Readjusted the door to take advantage of the newly created space between it and the roof, installed some 1/4" fender washers under the latch mechanism and now it's the easiest closing door on the truck.
Did you try to just move the striker down? They have slotted holes.

kcobean

Did you try to just move the striker down? They have slotted holes.
The front strikers are slotted, the rears aren't. I've heard of guys having to drill the body to move the striker down, and that was my plan, but the more I looked at it the more I was concerned that a) this would weaken the body, and that b) this was not really what was needed to get the doors fully aligned.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Switching out a wheel/tire today. A crack in the tire developed around the rim, it is now 30% around the circumference. Downside is that my tires have about 80% tread. Guess I'll go off to beg someone to get the run flat out of it....

ryanruck

Rolled around the past few days in the 8" of snow we got. I love this truck.
I am so jealous. You're in freaking Georgia playing around in 8" and up here in Cincy, we've gotten practically zero measurable snow since I took possession of my truck 3/2015.

I even bought tire chains...

:-(

NormB

I am so jealous. You're in freaking Georgia playing around in 8" and up here in Cincy, we've gotten practically zero measurable snow since I took possession of my truck 3/2015. I even bought tire chains...:-(
That explains a LOT. Sell the chains, it’ll blizzard before you know it.

We got about two inches yesterday, dogs played for an hour, took an hour to get the mud off ‘em.

I spent time in the garage earlier in the day with “my” dog sleeping inside on the tunnel while I replaced the left side splash guard - was going to cut a hole in it and make an aluminum plate/cover, but I slipped setting the thing down a week ago and it cracked in half. :???:
Put constant torque clamps on larger hoses, FINALLY finished drilling holes in the transmission support/crossmember so I could bolt on the transfer case armor plate - that was ONE thing that went right, but it would’ve been SO much easier had I just taken the thing off, chucked it up on my mill and drilled the holes. Ruined two stubby bits trying to get a hole started - that’s really tough metal - finally used a 1/8” end mill and a light touch to get a pocket started, then a 1/4” bit, then 5/16, then 3/8”. Put some rubber washers either side and a piece of clip-on “weatherstripping” on the side of the plate where it can hit the muffler, and likely will. This will deaden the sound - as if I’ll hear it over any of the other noises this thing makes.

Then I did some general cleaning, rearranging, hung some LED lights - ordered two more sets. They’re about twice as bright as the 48” T12 40W daylight lights. Hence, the cleaning.

Dog slept through it all. Funny, I put a mat on the floor but he scrambles right up into the truck.

Haven’t started it with him in it yet. His stitches came out yesterday (neutered, infected, etc), cone comes off tomorrow, I’ll likely take him for a ride in the morning. He’s earned it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks