• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mario

... Just wish I had your lift and weather!
You should look into getting a lift -- can't help you with the weather :)
Provided you have enough room, car lifts are surprisingly affordable. They come in many different styles, portable, fixed, 2-post, 4-post, high and low bars, etc.
Mine gets a good amount of use -- if not on my own junk than friends are always over to 'borrow' it :). ****, charge 50 to a 100 bucks per major use and have it paid for itself in less than a year! (I don't do that, but it might be a good way to justify it to a wife).
Many if not all of them are outdoor rated, so if no room in garage/shop/barn, you can still have one. You'll have to deal with the weather, but it beats using a jack.

twisted60

Installed home made grounding kit, used 4awg wire, ya overkill but .... go big or go home ....

Continuing with my cleaning project, got under her today,,,, wow, dirty, need to get the power washer fired up.

ryanruck

What chains did you get?
Did you test them at all in mud and crap or are they still NIB?
I got 2 sets of milsurp chains from eBay (1 set takes care of 2 tires). They're originally for the 36" tires but you can get extra links and parts for them from O'Reilly Auto Parts so they'll fit the 37s. They're made by Laclede. I'd have to look up the O'Reilly part number for the extra links. Each chain needs 2 extra links (one on each side) to lengthen it a little.

Haven't done anything with them but test fit them so I can't tell you how well they work.

Here's video of them in action in this military instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qXg_sa9zk

Mario

I got 2 sets of milsurp chains from eBay (1 set takes care of 2 tires). They're originally for the 36" tires but you can get extra links and parts for them from O'Reilly Auto Parts so they'll fit the 37s. They're made by Laclede. I'd have to look up the O'Reilly part number for the extra links. Each chain needs 2 extra links (one on each side) to lengthen it a little.

Haven't done anything with them but test fit them so I can't tell you how well they work.

Here's video of them in action in this military instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qXg_sa9zk
How much did you drop on each set of 2? There is a thing on FleaBay now and Hummer Parts Guy has some too.
I don't really get any snow here in central New Mexico, but if it's only a couple hundred bucks and a one time investment, it might be worth having it for that once in a 100 year storms.

ryanruck

How much did you drop on each set of 2? There is a thing on FleaBay now and Hummer Parts Guy has some too.
I don't really get any snow here in central New Mexico, but if it's only a couple hundred bucks and a one time investment, it might be worth having it for that once in a 100 year storms.
Looks like they were $75 shipped each set. NSN 2540-01-214-1264.

Here's the links you have to add to them for them to fit 37s.

alphaseventwo

Long, boring day at work so I read TM-9-2320-280-10 cover to cover! Now I know why the admins here stress at least looking through this thing before posting some drawn out thread about "plastic cleaning" or "correct mold removal procedures" or something more valuable like "How to tow your HMMWV correctly." You could probably wipe clean half the posts here! (lol) Who knew you could easily tell if you had a pre- 100k serial number just from the type of side mirrors? Good stuff.

suzukovich

Long, boring day at work so I read TM-9-2320-280-10 cover to cover! Now I know why the admins here stress at least looking through this thing before posting some drawn out thread about "plastic cleaning" or "correct mold removal procedures" or something more valuable like "How to tow your HMMWV correctly." You could probably wipe clean half the posts here! (lol) Who knew you could easily tell if you had a pre- 100k serial number just from the type of side mirrors? Good stuff.
Sad. But then again I hear the dash 20 was a interesting sequel.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

twisted60

Yesterday pulled all 4 tires off (not at same time) had a good look at hubs, boots, half shafts, gear oil level in hubs, overall condition of tires, then put it all back together using anti seize on the wheel lugs, a few were a bit hard to remove but a good cleaning and anti seize did the trick, next removal should go easy. Then removed drivers side headlight to fix loose mount, had to glue threaded post back to rubber mount, not sure if that is the normal repair but it worked. Today was more cleaning, pulled up the driver side floor mat, vacuumed up a bunch of dirt that was packed in the corners. New hood bumper arrived today so that will be tomorrows project along with drivers side front marker just stopped working this evening, checked bulb, good, checked power to socket, good, confirmed good ground, good, put new known good bulb in and it does not work, so out comes the meter tomorrow..

Side note, each electrical connector i pull apart i use dielectric grease when I put it back together. Any thoughts ?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday pulled all 4 tires off (not at same time) had a good look at hubs, boots, half shafts, gear oil level in hubs, overall condition of tires, then put it all back together using anti seize on the wheel lugs, a few were a bit hard to remove but a good cleaning and anti seize did the trick, next removal should go easy. Then removed drivers side headlight to fix loose mount, had to glue threaded post back to rubber mount, not sure if that is the normal repair but it worked. Today was more cleaning, pulled up the driver side floor mat, vacuumed up a bunch of dirt that was packed in the corners. New hood bumper arrived today so that will be tomorrows project along with drivers side front marker just stopped working this evening, checked bulb, good, checked power to socket, good, confirmed good ground, good, put new known good bulb in and it does not work, so out comes the meter tomorrow..

Side note, each electrical connector i pull apart i use dielectric grease when I put it back together. Any thoughts ?
On the connection also on the rubber boot, it will be much easier to pull apart next time.

NormB

One of my brothers was one of the NASA Apollo engineers let loose when the program died - got into fixing guitar amplifiers and stuff and never looked back.

He was YUGE on a product called "Deoxit" for long-term contact protection.

I've bought several bags of the packard connector shells/pins and a DMC tool for crimping (never solder, becomes weak link) - you know, if you're careful, think your way through it, you CAN pull the rotted rubber shells and replace them on both male AND female WITHOUT cutting off the metal part, a little grease and the parts slide through the shells - and that nylon piece on the lady parts just needs to be cut through with a box cutter and a steady hand, then reassembled. Little time-consuming, but at a couple bucks a pop, it adds up.

So I use deoxit on everything and Dow Corning 4 electrical insulating compound on the rubber and wire where I can for protection/weather-sealing.

ExFlyBoy

Driving home from work tonight, old country back road, going about 50/52 mph, got to a stop sign........... ticking....slight power loss.....and a plume of white smoke as I hit the accelerator........... great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

Thanks to Shrapnel's helping hand, we blasted through replacing my injection pump in record time. Didn't think it was possible, but we got the old injection pump off and the rebuilt one installed in all of about 3.5 hours. It's not 100%, I still need to bolt the oil fill tube back on, torque the manifold, reinstall the air horn and tube, then bleed the fuel system before trying to start. Might need some timing after that. But I think we did stellar for work 100% under flashlights out in the cold. Didn't even lose any "spare parts."

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well not necessarily all today, but since I got her picked up from auction on 12/8/17, replaced fuel pump and batteries and got her running. Replaced the front diff that was toasted. Replaced engine oil and diff oil in both. Replaced all filters. Pressure washed the salty Alabama sand off the undercarriage and started rust proofing the frame.

twisted60

Since my last post, #2506, found issue with front marker light, ended up being a bad ground, so cleaned connections, coated with dielectric grease (boots also thanks to juan), trouble shot my fan issue using the -20-1, traced issue to time delay module, ordered a replacement from Eric's, changed engine oil and filter, attempted to power wash underside, it looks like it had undercoat applied on top of dirt and a bad paint job... Paint or undercoat, not sure exactly, is flaking off in sheets... Looks like maybe a blasting in in the future, finished cleaning out the rear 2 seat locations (I have a 2 man), found the missing hook from drivers front door limiting strap so 1 less item to buy. Now what I hope is the big score...I won a "NOS" Nartron S3 for just over $300, now do I need a new TSU ? Current TSU is yellow banded working with a SSI start box yellow sticker.
IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1544.jpg
Current box is working fine, just planning ahead, or would it be better to change to the Nartron S3 box and keep the SSI box in reserve ?

STRATERRA TACTICAL

Front and rear airlifts with brush guard on the front, X doors, solargizer, swing arm mount for the rear, spare tire carrier with two 4 gal emergency cans on the gate. Installed an ammo linker on the tunnel cover. Basic so far...but it's come a long way.

twisted60

Today reinstalled rear curtain after a good cleaning, cleaned the top, rinsed off bed and sides, reinstalled doors, installed green LED dash lights, checked date code on all tires... 3 are pretty old '03 and '04 codes with 50% tread and 1 like new 95% tread with a '15 code. The older tires ('03-'04) have some cracking going on... Probably need to replace them soon. Tomorrows plan is to hit all zerks with grease.

IMG_1707.jpgIMG_1708.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1703.jpgIMG_1704.jpgIMG_1705.jpgIMG_1706.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks