• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NV555

hmmvwjune2016.jpgMy 998 waiting for the 97. I might be crazy however I like the current look. it has that outcast scrapper look.

cowboy roper.jpgAnyone know anything about this Logo? Looks like Wyoming national guard just this one has a rope and not bucking

GMVguy

Got the weapons mounts and kit installed for the parade. Fun weekend!
IMG_0608.jpg

The boys ready to roll, equipped with water grenades and super soakers!
IMG_0626.jpg

After pulling the cannon through, the ROTC guys needed a ride. It was a full combat load of 20 people!
IMG_0661.jpg

BLK HMMWV

Doesn't look like he used any jack rails. And I've never seen a set of side steps like those. They look different then the MSG made ones anyway. At least the ones that use the 3 shoulder bolts and interchange with the ammo can carriers.
But they do look like the can support some weight on them that's for sure.

GMVguy

Doesn't look like he used any jack rails. And I've never seen a set of side steps like those. They look different then the MSG made ones anyway. At least the ones that use the 3 shoulder bolts and interchange with the ammo can carriers.
But they do look like the can support some weight on them that's for sure.
Yep, had to modify the MSG running boards in the spirit of field expediency. Who knows how long it would've taken to find the correct Jack rails, etc. They have all probably scrapped with the SF trucks that had em. So I decided to cut off the original brackets and make these running boards permanent. They are one with the truck, and held 500+ lbs for several miles without a problem.

BLK HMMWV

Yep, had to modify the MSG running boards in the spirit of field expediency. Who knows how long it would've taken to find the correct Jack rails, etc. They have all probably scrapped with the SF trucks that had em. So I decided to cut off the original brackets and make these running boards permanent. They are one with the truck, and held 500+ lbs for several miles without a problem.
I have been trying to find a set of rails myself for the past 4-5 years sitting on a set of steps and can holders without anything to attach them to, I finally just went ahead and made them. It was hard to find close up pictures of the dam things or get any real measurements of them to make them exactly like MSG's but I needed to be able to switch out to the can holders or remove both when parking HMMWV in garage. I used the interior backing plates for the M1114's exterior armor to bolt my rails too. It helped stiffen up the bottom of body as well as give me something solid to attach the rails to and distribute the weight on .

Last edited:

GMVguy

I have been trying to find a set of rails myself for the past 4-5 years sitting on a set of steps and can holders with anything to attach them with I finally just went ahead and made them. It was hard to find close up pictures of the dam things or get any real measurements of them to make them exactly like MSG's but I needed to be able to switch out to the can holders or remove both when parking HMMWV in garage. I used the interior backing plates for the M1114's exterior armor to bolt my rails too. It helped stiffen up the bottom of body as well as give me something solid to attach the rails to and distribute the weight on .
Sounds like you did it the right way.

BLK HMMWV

Just a different way. I think a lot of stuff ends up getting field modified or re designed to fit the mission or make do with what you have on hand. Nothing wrong with yours. They obviously can hold the weight. Nice job

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 632395 This happened on the 4th while backing out of my driveway. My buddy came over to pick me up and while backing out we were hit by a Hyundai at 30 mph. She hit the back end of the r/r tire head on. The Hyundai lost the fight and of course is totaled. She had NO INSURANCE and NO DRIVERS LICENCE -- welcome to Florida. Upon inspection, it looks like the steering arm cover got tweeked/bent. Part is ordered and was $15 bucks. No body damage, just the steering arm/cover. Thank God no one was hurt. I'm tearing it down today, so I will let you know what the real damage is. Ever seen a Humvee with 3 wheel steering? Oh yeah, the truck is now named MR.CRABS. LOL

I suspect the stabilizer bar and Rod end is tweaked, that's a lot of force to bend a steering arm cover.
i had a truck in that had similar...check the ball joints, upper and lower control arms and worse, check the cross members where the lower control arm mounts, in my case, the welds were cracked.

i ended up replacing both rear crossmembers, ball joints, a bent shock and stabilizer bar.

Action

View attachment 632395 This happened on the 4th while backing out of my driveway. My buddy came over to pick me up and while backing out we were hit by a Hyundai at 30 mph. She hit the back end of the r/r tire head on. The Hyundai lost the fight and of course is totaled. She had NO INSURANCE and NO DRIVERS LICENCE -- welcome to Florida. Upon inspection, it looks like the steering arm cover got tweeked/bent. Part is ordered and was $15 bucks. No body damage, just the steering arm/cover. Thank God no one was hurt. I'm tearing it down today, so I will let you know what the real damage is. Ever seen a Humvee with 3 wheel steering? Oh yeah, the truck is now named MR.CRABS. LOL
I wasn't there but it sounds like she doesn't need insurance if your buddy backed into the street into oncoming traffic. He failed to yield. I am just going by your description, but his insurance should be paying her off.
And, isn't the steering arm cover a cast part?

Action

View attachment 632406View attachment 632407 This looks to be the battle damage. R.WARHORSES thanks for the heads up-- I did look it over good and so far this is all I came up with. I will have the alignment checked, but everything seems to look sound. As far as who was at fault-- we were. She had no insurance or license and did not want to go to jail. We settled on a hefty cash payout. When we are done repairing the truck, we will refund the difference. That's how we roll-- people that drive without insurance are complete scumbags! So now she has a totaled Hyundai in her driveway that she could have insured for WAY LESS than what she paid out. Insured or not she was doing 50 before she locked the brakes and hit us. I live on a dead end road, 3 houses from the end-- you figure it out. When her parents showed up, they had to borrow their grandparents car, because they did not have insurance either. I guess they are setting a good example for their 17 year old daughter to follow. Why do you think insurance premiums are so high--- cause of dirtbag parents like these! At the end of the day, no one was hurt, and that's what really matters. done
So, you are doing the right thing by paying them back any extra after repairs are done? You just said it was your fault. Why is she paying to fix your humvee if it was your fault? I always call the police no matter what and do it the right way. It sounds like you are taking advantage of their situation to me.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In California you would owe her a new car...your ins company would pay out to her, regardless due to whos at fault.
your HMMWV repair would be covered under your policy as well...don't get me started on uninsured motorist.
thats seems to be the norm here in California.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wanted to really teach them a lessen, you would have called the police, and they would have impounded the car and gave her a tkt. Instead, she will keep driving and possibly do worse to someone else. I have had happen to me, what happened to you, and I called the PD....what did they do? Nothing, gave her a tkt and she drove away....welcome to California. oh, and she was an illegal alone with 3 kids in the car. I had to use my ins company and pay my deductible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks