• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Lothar

That is an excellent idea. I was wondering what I could use to insulate my 1045A2. Now I know, thanks. Did you use headliner spray adhesive or what?
Heres a link to the product I used. Used almost the whole can for the curtain and roof of a two man. The mat seemed to soak it in.
Update, now that the roof has been cooked in the sun all day, the mat is coming off of the roof so this might not be the best adhesive. As I had expected but hoped against, I will have to make something to hold it in place similar to whats in my M35.

Last edited:

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what adhesive was originally used. My 2003 1045A2, when I bought it in 2019, still had a lot of the foam insulation left on the rear hatch area. The glue was pretty thick underneath the foam. I had to scrape it to remove the insulation. The foam was breaking down before the glue. LOL, there's still a lot of adhesive stuck up on there.

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive 08090 to install a foam hood liner on my 84 380SL 20+ years ago and it is still holding it above the engine after all those years. I highly recommend trying it.

Lothar

Thats great to know. Will try that stuff if this doesn't work out. There may be a curing time, I didn't read too far in the directions😂 But today is a little cooler and it's staying stuck so far.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready for front winch and rear airlift. Then pintle extension and ratcheting spare tire carrier.

EDIT - Milwaukee 1/2" battery impact wrench did great with all but 1 bolt. The body mount bolt on passenger's side required my 36" breaker bar.

EDIT - I decided to order 2 new front winch frame extensions as I seem to have misplaced my others in my storage container.

EDIT - My old front and rear bumpers and 8 bolt rims will eventually be relegated to the classified section and E-bay.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished priming front winch frame rail extensions and various rear Airlift pieces.C2BD5138-F72F-4AA1-AB2E-E0054A423AC6.jpeg

therooster2001

Did the idler arm, man, the 18 year olds had the bolts backwards, I almost had to drain the coolant to get them out. And I did one side of tie rods. Think I need to do the other side., and a small toe in adjustment.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed rear Airlift brackets. Then sprayed all the bolts for rust protection. My Milwaukee power ratchet literally snapped a Grade 8 bolt. I had not realized there were four battery power settings. Yikes! I will loosen the bolts for final installation, but I gotta drive this beast to where I’m storing the bumper so I can’t leave the buddy mounts and such loose.

You will notice the snapped bolt in the bottom rear of the picture. You will also notice the jackstand and star wrench and wood I used to lift while protecting the Aluminum frame. Gotta jack the body up to align with the frame bolt holes due to the weight of my stantback. Also gotta place plastic between the steel body mounts and the Aluminum body to prevent galvanic reaction and corrosion.

I then loosened all six front bolts to allow installation tomorrow for the front winch. I want to write a new mystery thriller based on the concept of Blackhat regarding the design and development of the HMMWV. I will name it ASSHAT.

What is the deal with the upper front bolt that you can’t get to unless you’re upside down and backwards? And what is the deal with the steel straps going from the front upper control arm bolt to the frame? 🤨
E437125C-5E93-489A-B722-DF3FDBACDE08.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks