• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Lothar

Revisited my roof insulation install as it didn't quite work put as planned the first time. After some searching, I was only able to locate one spray adhesive with a rating above 190°F. This stuff tops out at 300°F. Shown here:20210518_163236.jpg
Added a frame to not only hold this last rigid molle panel but also support the insulation in the middle of the roof. Reorganized and added more pouches to the remaining panels and I think this part is done now.20210518_163750.jpg20210518_163552.jpg20210518_163514.jpg20210518_163259.jpg20210518_163251.jpg

Lothar

Didn't do anything to the truck today but did take a trip into the mountains to help another SS member fixed a cracked engine block. Hopefully she will be back on the trails very soon.20210519_172840.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it is not hard to do, I’m not sure I would trust it to carry the weight of the truck while suspended from a helo.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went for a walk through the woods today.
Saw a shiny tag about head high in a bush, a few feet off the trail.
12338316-6
front spring for the M1114. I guess that is what they put on my M1123 when they added armor, otherwise I have no idea where it would have come from.
I was just surprised to find it up that high. I'm guessing someone else saw it and hung it there, as the odds of it coming off the spring, then getting flung up into the bush and the wire wrapping around the stem are pretty astronomical in comparison.

Just found it odd so I thought I'd share.
oh, and ordered some rear progressive springs that say they are for the ECV trucks to see if that helps the rear end being lower than the front with the BEOD installed. As long as it isn't any lower, it will hopefully make for a little smoother ride when unloaded.

EDIT: Was just informed that when completely unloaded, the newer progressive springs are still going to ride really stiff, so I probably won't notice a difference.

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out how frustrating it is to mount a tire, on a 24 bolt rim, only to have it leak.
Will attempt another try after the Memorial Day weekend.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out how frustrating it is to mount a tire, on a 24 bolt rim, only to have it leak.
Will attempt another try after the Memorial Day weekend.
it's even more fun when you pull the runflat from one tire, but it into another and assemble it, only find the cracks/dryrot after inflating it, so you pull the runflat out of that one and put it into yet another, then fully assemble it, and have the same thing happen. I still haven't gotten around to putting the runflat back into the original tire and doing the whole thing yet again.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's even more fun when you pull the runflat from one tire, but it into another and assemble it, only find the cracks/dryrot after inflating it, so you pull the runflat out of that one and put it into yet another, then fully assemble it, and have the same thing happen. I still haven't gotten around to putting the runflat back into the original tire and doing the whole thing yet again.
So decided to finish this up last night.
got the runflat back into the original tire, and everything back together.
Stupid thing wouldn't hold air, was leaking air past the rear bead.
Took it apart, inspected everything, made sure everything was clean, and reassembled.
Put air into it again, and again immediately heard it leaking air out the backside.
Got mad at it and gave up.

went out a few minutes ago and hooked the air back up. Tire had been sitting so the backside was up and in the sun.
Maybe it softened up a little from the heat, or just sealed itself up overnight, but now it will hold air no problem. Checked everything with soapy water, no signs of a leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks