• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I took the 1152 and picked up a load of firewood and 5 gallons gas for the generator, should the winter storm hit this weekend. Topped off the diesel too. My employees will love riding the troop seats to work lol.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPS guy just showed up. First time this one has stopped here apparently.
He started asking me about the M1102 trailer, and about the M1123.
He said after he pays off his Harley a HMMWV is next on his list, though he might go for a 5 ton expando instead if he finds one decently priced, to go camping in with his kids.

We chatted for a bit, then he had to go so he doesn't get yelled at for slacking on the job. I told him to come visit this site to find out more about the trucks and trailers. So maybe we'll have a new member soon.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is stupid but my parking brake is fairly firm to set. Few weeks ago I was on an incline and I wanted to set parking brake before I put it in park so I had my foot on the brake to hold it and the parking brake was so easy to set with pressure on the pedal. I bet at least one person doesn’t know it. Lol

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is stupid but my parking brake is fairly firm to set. Few weeks ago I was on an incline and I wanted to set parking brake before I put it in park so I had my foot on the brake to hold it and the parking brake was so easy to set with pressure on the pedal. I bet at least one person doesn’t know it. Lol
That’s how your supposed to set the ebrake…foot on brake pedal first. You have collapsed the caliper piston via hydraulic pressure, not doing mean you get to do it manually and that takes a bit more doing.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was driving home tonight and above a certain RPM the oil gauge just started jumping erratically towards max.
Rather than randomly start a new thread, I did a search and found this is a common occurrence if there is an issue with a wiring connection, though potentially it could be the gauge or sender (both are about a year old as they read really low when I bought the truck)

So looks like tomorrow I get to pull the dash and doghouse and check wire connections. If I don't fix it by wiggling wires and unplugging/replugging, I'll put my mechanical oil gauge on it to see.
Finally got around to investigating this. Only seems to happen when the engine is hot.
Wires at the gauge are good.
Pulled the doghouse cover, and I can see oil coming out of the shell connector on the oil sending unit.
Have a new one on order. I'm just glad it was something simple and obvious.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to investigating this. Only seems to happen when the engine is hot.
Wires at the gauge are good.
Pulled the doghouse cover, and I can see oil coming out of the shell connector on the oil sending unit.
Have a new one on order. I'm just glad it was something simple and obvious.
I'm having too-high readings come and go, getting worse just earlier this week. I think if I really had 120psi the engine would sound a LOT different. I'll check that sending unit myself, and the wires too.
BDGR

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having too-high readings come and go, getting worse just earlier this week. I think if I really had 120psi the engine would sound a LOT different. I'll check that sending unit myself, and the wires too.
BDGR
all I know is if you unplug the oil sending unit with it running, the gauge pegs out to max.

In one of the threads I looked at, RWH said he's never seen an internal oil pressure issue when the gauges start reading funny, it's always in the sender/gauge/wiring. I haven't been too concerned about it; it's still better than when I first got the truck and the gauge never read higher than 30psi, and during a long idle it usually read 0. I'm just annoyed that the sending unit didn't last longer before failing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pool noodle or the cardboard suggestion from rcamacho are both functional fixes. Cardboard on a CUCV or old Chevy truck has been my solution for a lot of years...
Of course you folks can give me a hard time this summer but I just came in from running a brush cutter in one of my pastures in short sleeves!
Gota love S TX

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course you folks can give me a hard time this summer but I just came in from running a brush cutter in one of my pastures in short sleeves!
Gota love S TX
Balmy warm weather here by the beach in NYC my friend. In my short sleeves too. 🖕

Attachments

Superhonk

Great information, I certainly appreciate your response. I haven't found a speed that is consistent yet. I'm still waiting on paperwork so I'm afraid to experiment to much on the road. Do the run flats move inside the rims or are they stationary?
He’s just being a sally! Get down and get your face right next to that tire and show it you’re not afraid of anything it can dish out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run flats lock the tire against the rim. They don’t move when properly installed.

AAVP7

As the second-to-last step in the body-off restauration of my M997 ambulance, today I started the M997 cabin heater for the first time (the last step will be to get the A/C running, hopefully).

Everything went fine with the heater, apart from some excessive smoke due to the long pre-ignition phase with some unburned diesel collecting in the heater.

With the temperatures today being just above freezing, the heat coming from the running heater was pretty welcome.

I took a litte video of the test. The first part was filmed inside the M997 A/C-heater compartment. Ignition starts at 0:45. After the heater ignited, the ventilator switches to higher revs, and from 1:20 on, you´ll see that excessive smoke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks