• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the chance to replace the miserable 5/8" window glass and frames this week with new 3/8" glass and frames, you could not even read "lift" before through the old ones, yep was not paying attention and put the "split" on the bottom instead of the top, oh well I guess that is what pookie is for.
IMG_20220313_152006370.jpg
I also replaced the GPS speedo, evidently I was not paying attention AGAIN when purchasing the first one, it has "ticks" every FOUR MPH, what is up with THAT?? The second one has 5 MPH ticks and is spot on compared to my NUVI.
IMG_20210103_145825012.jpg
That is something I just could not get my old brain wrapped around, sure I can count in 4s but it is just not intuitive.
IMG_20220317_125351378.jpg
At least because the entire cluster comes out in about one minute due to the fact it is connected to the main harness by two quick disconnect plugs it did not take much effort to replace the speedo.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last inspection before my little trip Friday, NOS 10K factory half shaft about a month old, there was a small dent in the band and it caused a pin hole in the boot, after wiping it off it looks fine, it looks like I will be installing a new boot in the morning, I have a pneumatic boot stretcher, not sure if I am going to try and cheat or not...
IMG_20220322_154918678.jpg

Another Ahab

Last inspection before my little trip Friday, NOS 10K factory half shaft about a month old, there was a small dent in the band and it caused a pin hole in the boot, after wiping it off it looks fine, it looks like I will be installing a new boot in the morning, I have a pneumatic boot stretcher, not sure if I am going to try and cheat or not...
View attachment 862312
Hope you get it all buttoned-up, Mogman!

"Pneumatic Boot-Stretcher"? That's a thing?! Got a pic, maybe?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't think it can reach over that end of the shaft, would probably have to turn it inside out and install it from the other end, too easy to take that joint apart so I will just try it the next time I want to play with a 7K shaft.
s-l1600.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Chances are it would have made the short 500 mile round trip no problem, but it will only take a small amount of work to fix, already have it removed and all new bolts with new Nord-lock washers ready to go, it should not take more than an hour or so to replace the boot and get it re-installed in the AM.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Chances are it would have made the short 500 mile round trip no problem, but it will only take a small amount of work to fix, already have it removed and all new bolts with new Nord-lock washers ready to go, it should not take more than an hour or so to replace the boot and get it re-installed in the AM.
Absolutely @Mogman !

Always easier to fix things before hitting to road - and avoiding a "beside the road" fix.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be doing this on my M1152 when the parts get here Monday. Did you get the sensor cup too?
No, haven’t received the sensor cup yet, it is ordered.
Here's sensor cup part number if you need. I replaced all my water fording parts last month.
Thank you. The photo provides all one needs to know for procuring the sensor cup! Will restore entire deep water fording system, but doubt I will ever willingly subject my Humvee to a functional test of it.

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, didn’t get the sensor cup. Still need to buy one.

Thank you. The photo provides all one needs to know for procuring the sensor cup! Will restore entire deep water fording system, but doubt I will ever willingly subject my Humvee to a functional test of it.

Just make sure you don't ever overfill your power steering fluid like I did and have the water fording lines start to fill up with tranny fluid. Had to pull them all off and blow compressed air through them!

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you don't ever overfill your power steering fluid like I did and have the water fording lines start to fill up with tranny fluid. Had to pull them all off and blow compressed air through them!
As a matter of fact, I did remove top of reservoir to look at fluid and it appeared overfilled. Will remove it again and remove excess fluid, Thank you MattGuy!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks