• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put some radiator flush stuff in about a week ago. Today I removed the overflow tank and cleaned it out. I pulled the thermostat out and upper and lower hoses and I flushed the block and the radiator from the top. It looked pretty good inside. I looked at it from the lower hose and it had a little buildup on the ends. I put everything back together without the thermostat and filled it up with water from the hose. I want to flush it out one more time and then I will put my new hoses on. I was having temps up to 235 and it wasn’t dropping so I thought maybe a flush wouldn’t hurt. Fluid looked clean and green. I have a new thermostat to go back in when I get done with it. I replaced the fan switch sensor on the thermostat housing a few days ago. I also put a piece of 1/2” x 3/4” foam between the transmission cooler and radiator. I took the cooler bolts out and cleaned the leaves out and I lowered it down onto the foam. I have a tree that I hate and it drops leaves and little round seeds and the leaves get into the radiator and they curl up in it. I will be able to vacuum or blow it off the top of the radiator now.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I removed the S788 shelter off of the DuraVee so the ponies could run free!
I also picked up a nice early scripted tail gate from Austin (beltfed), just cuz I like them!!
I'd bet she runs like a race car without that cover!

Won't be a lot of fun if it is raining like cats and dogs and you pick up two passengers, but at least YOU would be in the dry.

:)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet she runs like a race car without that cover!

Won't be a lot of fun if it is raining like cats and dogs and you pick up two passengers, but at least YOU would be in the dry.

:)
Actually I still need to remove and seal the roof and bottom of the windshield, need a slicker suit even in light rain!!
I have just not decided what to do with the eyebrow, crop it? just radius the ends??? leave it as is?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Actually I still need to remove and seal the roof and bottom of the windshield, need a slicker suit even in light rain!!
I have heard it said before that if you have a HMMWV and it rains, it rains almost as much inside as out.

Kinda like my M1089 when I first got it. It had a leaking turret cover and when it rained - it would fill up an oil drain pan. What a mess! The truck arrived in the middle of the summer. No rain for weeks. Then when it did start it wouldn't stop... Made me know that I had a problem in a hurry :-(

Gamble

Don’t you worry about that interior and a leaky turret?
In the carpet I used Dynapad which is water proof and the carpet is marine grade. As for the seats they are essentially a type of vinyl so they will be fine. Also, I live in So Cal and we dont get a lot of rain and the truck stays garaged.

Lastly, my turret doesn't really leak but I've never driven in the hard rain so I can't say for sure. Ive driven in light to medium rain and nothing from the turret but I did get water from the top of the hatch where it meets the roof.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a new injection pump for my M1165 non runner… It was on sale at HPG for 1550.00. Mac Motors was 2,160 and AM General was 2,400. HPG says it’s new but it will not be in stock until the 20th of July. It will take me that long to get everything off and cleaned up. I really don’t want to do this. That Generator and AC sure seems to make everything hard to get to. I will need to drain my tank and flush my fuel system with fresh fuel. Mogman suggested it and I think it’s a great idea because I don’t want to kill my new pump. I got a quote for rebuilding mine here and it was 1,500 to 5,000!!! I feel pretty good about the new one

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been stewing for weeks over Les Schwab's inability to understand what I was trying to tell them, that SOMETHING IS LOOSE IN THE STEERING, causing the truck to randomly change direction while driving down the road. They kept insisting they had to do an alignment, when they just did one a few thousand miles ago.
Finally crawled underneath myself and started shaking things. Pretty quickly figured out that the pitman arm is loose to the center link, and the castle nut and shaft just spins. Could probably figure out some way tyo tighten it down, but decided to order a replacement anyway since it's not that expensive (about $140 with shipping from AM General) and will give me a lot more peace of mind than wondering if the one under there is going to fail on my.
Haven't dealt with those joints much before, so don't know if that's just how they are when not securely tightened (I can spin the nut/shaft with my fingers, but nut is too tight on the shaft to tighten down as is) or if I'm lucky to be alive after driving the truck on a 500 mile trip a couple weekends ago.

on a side note, the NorthWest Overland Rally in Plain, WA was a lot of fun. First night there at the campfire I won a knife from Bradford and Beyond (Bradford knife made specifically for Beyond Clothing as some sort of collaboration or something) that they said was valued at $350. Not sure I'd ever spend $350 on a knife with 3" blade and kydex sheath, but it's a good looking knife.
Also ended up winning the Trophy Challenge Biathlon on the last morning. It was a short loop on the technical course they have at the site, and the "biathlon" portion was having a nerf gun and shooting at targets on either side of the trail (solo cups). Added challenge was having a solo cup nearly full taped to the hood/front of the vehicle and getting penalized for loss of water in it. Hitting targets was bonus to your overall time.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself. I was the only HMMWV, but there were also 2 LMTVs and one FMTV

A couple videos posted by the LMTV guys (that also include a short clip of my HMMWV in them as well)

Gamble

I've been stewing for weeks over Les Schwab's inability to understand what I was trying to tell them, that SOMETHING IS LOOSE IN THE STEERING, causing the truck to randomly change direction while driving down the road. They kept insisting they had to do an alignment, when they just did one a few thousand miles ago.
Finally crawled underneath myself and started shaking things. Pretty quickly figured out that the pitman arm is loose to the center link, and the castle nut and shaft just spins. Could probably figure out some way tyo tighten it down, but decided to order a replacement anyway since it's not that expensive (about $140 with shipping from AM General) and will give me a lot more peace of mind than wondering if the one under there is going to fail on my.
Haven't dealt with those joints much before, so don't know if that's just how they are when not securely tightened (I can spin the nut/shaft with my fingers, but nut is too tight on the shaft to tighten down as is) or if I'm lucky to be alive after driving the truck on a 500 mile trip a couple weekends ago.

on a side note, the NorthWest Overland Rally in Plain, WA was a lot of fun. First night there at the campfire I won a knife from Bradford and Beyond (Bradford knife made specifically for Beyond Clothing as some sort of collaboration or something) that they said was valued at $350. Not sure I'd ever spend $350 on a knife with 3" blade and kydex sheath, but it's a good looking knife.
Also ended up winning the Technical Challenge Biathlon on the last morning. It was a short loop on the technical course they have at the site, and the "biathlon" portion was having a nerf gun and shooting at targets on either side of the trail (solo cups). Added challenge was having a solo cup nearly full taped to the hood/front of the vehicle and getting penalized for loss of water in it. Hitting targets was bonus to your overall time.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself. I was the only HMMWV, but there were also 2 LMTVs and one FMTV

A couple videos posted by the LMTV guys (that also include a short clip of my HMMWV in them as well)

That's so dope!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a new injection pump for my M1165 non runner… It was on sale at HPG for 1550.00. Mac Motors was 2,160 and AM General was 2,400. HPG says it’s new but it will not be in stock until the 20th of July. It will take me that long to get everything off and cleaned up. I really don’t want to do this. That Generator and AC sure seems to make everything hard to get to. I will need to drain my tank and flush my fuel system with fresh fuel. Mogman suggested it and I think it’s a great idea because I don’t want to kill my new pump. I got a quote for rebuilding mine here and it was 1,500 to 5,000!!! I feel pretty good about the new one
You should probably open a separate thread on this subject, it would help anyone interested in the troubleshooting and replacement of your IP easier to follow than interment posts in "what I have done to my HMMWV" thread, I don't think troubleshooting and repair is the intent of this continuing thread.

Ajax MD

I hit 3,000 miles so I did an oil change and all-around fluid check. The only thing amiss is the driver's front portal hub is wet. It's always been this way. The fluid level isn't really going down. I do have a seal kit and one of those Blue Hummer spindle lock nut kits for it.

The 3-lever headlight switch failed so I went to MIL-SPECZone (my garage) and grabbed a new spare. The old switch had a manufacture date of 1995 so I guess I can't be too grumpy about it. I "felt" it fail internally when I set it for "service drive" when departing the local hardware store. People ain't lying when they tell you to build up a stash of common failure parts unless you enjoy waiting around for the mail all the time.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just not decided what to do with the eyebrow, crop it? just radius the ends??? leave it as is?
I like the eyebrow. Yes, just radius the ends, will look great. That overhang could be useful to mount lights without need for additional light bar. Wish mine has it. 👍

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not installed yet, today received this locking fuel door. I know it won’t stop someone intent on stealing fuel, sufficient to serve as anti tamper or discourage a crime of opportunity.
Beautiful craftsmanship, made to order right here in the USA!
Edit; Subsequent comments have prompted me to add up-armoring my fuel tank to list of future projects!

Attachments

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not installed yet, today received this locking fuel door. I know it won’t stop someone intent on stealing fuel, sufficient to serve as anti tamper or discourage a crime of opportunity.
Beautiful craftsmanship, made to order right here in the USA!
I've considered it, but decided I'd rather have someone siphon fuel through the filler than have them drill a hole in the tank.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've considered it, but decided I'd rather have someone siphon fuel through the filler than have them drill a hole in the tank.
Sad but true.

They punch a hole in the tank with a drill or hammer and screwdriver, get whatever "gas" you have and when their can fills up - they walk away... While the rest of the liquid gold runs across the yard (parking lot).

diesel_dave

Do your trucks not have a screen installed in the fuel filler that would prevent someone from easily siphoning the fuel out? I guess I need to look more closely at mine to see if its easily removable or something. If someone really wanted the fuel, there is that black rubber drain plug on the tank they could remove in 5 seconds anyway. Glad I live somewhere where I don't really have to worry about someone stealing my fuel like I live in some kind of Mad Max Post-Apocalypse. Haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks