• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Dock Rocker

Can you help me with what brackets you needed to install the bumper? I really want one but I have no idea what brackets to get to mount it. The bumper is easy to get.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I added an air lift bumper. Still need to paint it though. And get whatever parts are needed to make my pioneer tool rack mount up again.
I want a airlift bumper for mine. Thinking about just fabbing one honestly. Do you happen to know the tube measurements to yours? (Length, width, height, thickness)

KansasBobcat

Can you help me with what brackets you needed to install the bumper? I really want one but I have no idea what brackets to get to mount it. The bumper is easy to get.
The bumpers are fairly easy to find. I got mine before latest auction and the brackets were a challenge even then. I got some parts on ebay but had to go to Kascar for some. Be sure and order by part number. Brackets cost at least twice what bumper cost!

whistlepig

Thanks Kansasbobcat , I've probably got 6 hours fab time in just the bumper. Not counting the trip to the local sheriffs dept. to measure an actual factory bumper. Ahab, Patracy is correct on the tag cover.

Another Ahab

I think I would be nervous having that much weight on four 1/2" or even 5/8" bolts.
I know what you mean Dr Goldberg MD; it seems kind of "light". And there are a lot of variables for sure, but the chart below indicates (on an average I'm supposing), that the shear strength of a 1/2" bolt (Grade 2) is:

- 1470 lbs

So 4x that is 5,880 lbs (close to 3 tons). I'm thinking that bumper is pretty secure with that arrangement. But I'm for sure no structural engineer. So maybe somebody more qualified can chime in:

Last edited:
I know what you mean Dr Goldberg MD; it seems kind of "light". And there are a lot of variables for sure, but the chart below indicates (on an average I'm supposing), that the shear strength of a 1/2" bolt is:

- 1470 lbs

So 4x that is 5,880 lbs (close to 3 tons). I'm thinking that bumper is pretty secure with that arrangement. But I'm for sure no structural engineer. So maybe somebody more qualified can chime in:

That's funny. I was literally just reading the same chart after searching 'grade 8 bolt shear strength'. Now, I'm sure it's not going anywhere. I just look at it and compare to twenty 1/2" bolts going through mine.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner brackets are very cheap for a pair, the 2 outer while a little for expensive are also cheap...you can use right or lefts...makes no diff, the bracket can be flipped. The inners are the same, the shims can be just washers.
so maybe 125.00 total for all 4 brackets...

Dock Rocker

The inner brackets are very cheap for a pair, the 2 outer while a little for expensive are also cheap...you can use right or lefts...makes no diff, the bracket can be flipped. The inners are the same, the shims can be just washers.
so maybe 125.00 total for all 4 brackets...
You don't happen to have any laying around the shop you would part with do you?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks