• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

WalterMitty

I took mine off road....

I took mine off road and was once again impressed with its capabilities. There was one really "peaky" hill/berm where it was "high centered" for a bit...but it powered up and over. Having a flat bottom sure made going over a reality versus being perched on the transfer case or drive shafts.

Attachments

infidel got me

Install led's front and rear. Use your old headlight buckets when installing, the new buckets don't have enough thread for nuts to secure correctly. Rear taillight screws also have to be shortened or replaced with shorter ones. Overall, fairly easy swap, and now I have more candle power than an Amish buggy!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished installing new inner wheel bearing yesterday and put the right front hub all back together. Decided to wire brush and paint it all while I was at it. Replaced inner and outer seals as well. Now to do the other three...
BDGR
IMG_2698[1].jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks gents. I appreciate the encouragement.

The paint is Krylon Rust Tough in Black Semi Flat. I've used it for years to paint my Harley tins, in straight Flat black. Easy finish to blend later after minor repairs :)

I intend to paint all the undercarriage starting with hubs. 'Spray as you go', as it were. The hub paint I see as a maintenance item, the frame less so, meaning I will get to that only after maintenance needs are satisfied and I can turn an eye to cosmetic touches.

After the hubs I have to deal with the sluggish throttle response. I hope it's just the throttle linkage, but I suspect it's more than that.

Bulldogger

jdmcm

Thank you! Big changes coming for it though, ECV hood and A2 winch plate, and off comes the Gale Banks Turbo and on goes a Whipple supercharger!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained, filled, replaced seals and repainted left front hub. Took some extra time because I broke a couple bolt heads on the cover plate when torqueing them on. Bought new bolts and they had indications of the same problem. Turn out my Harbor Freight torque wrench loses calibration over 20 ft-lbs. I'll be replacing that!
Bulldogger
IMG_2702[1].jpg

Action

Drained, filled, replaced seals and repainted left front hub. Took some extra time because I broke a couple bolt heads on the cover plate when torqueing them on. Bought new bolts and they had indications of the same problem. Turn out my Harbor Freight torque wrench loses calibration over 20 ft-lbs. I'll be replacing that!
Bulldogger
How tight were you making those bolts? They only get set to 15 ft-lb.

Bobthebuilder

Sucks bad. I'm gonna have a professional shop rebuild it. Too many moving parts! All my friends told me buying a boat would be my biggest expense with repairs...they have no clue! Every time I drive that thing something has to be repaired or replaced. But I love it.

To my understanding it does have a "pump" but not like a vacuum pump. It works off centrifugal force and moves transmission fluid into the torque converter, and back and forward to the radiator, etc. I'm no transmission expert so I'm not going to murder the explanation.

You summed it up real well with...it sucks! To the tune of $1500 on the low end of estimates and $3500 on the upper end!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sucks bad. I'm gonna have a professional shop rebuild it. Too many moving parts! All my friends told me buying a boat would be my biggest expense with repairs...they have no clue! Every time I drive that thing something has to be repaired or replaced. But I love it.

To my understanding it does have a "pump" but not like a vacuum pump. It works off centrifugal force and moves transmission fluid into the torque converter, and back and forward to the radiator, etc. I'm no transmission expert so I'm not going to murder the explanation.

You summed it up real well with...it sucks! To the tune of $1500 on the low end of estimates and $3500 on the upper end!
If it were me? I would just buy a takeout trans from a member who has upgraded to a new drivetrain and wants to sell
his takeout. Seen them for around 500.00

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks